My absolute favorite new song

• Members

Apparently not.
:)
The "fuss" is that there's an entire generation of kids who have never heard music that wasn't made from samples, autotuned, gridified, and was based on solid musical performances and melodies.

With 1.4 million views of this song in four days on YouTube, it's obviously striking a nerve beyond just the silly profanity. Songs like this are much like "Smells Like Teen Spirit". They can be a complete game changer.

That's a real stretch Jeff.

"{censored} You" is nowhere near in the same league "Smells Like Teen Spirit".

Not even in the same ballpark.

I think it's entirely likely that the title is the only reason it's had so

many Youtube hits and it's striking a nerve because of the silly profanity.

I mean, come on It's Youtube!

Not the deepest pond on the interwebs.

Take out the "{censored} You" and it would've sunk without a trace imho.

Which is exactly what will happen to it once the hype dies out.

• Members

It seems like we have two subjects here: the song and whether the song represents a future that rejects grid pop.

I can see the possibility of a future that rejects grid pop. Music is full of genres that incorporate the past into the future. Usually, the result is a new sound: hip hop brought back swing, but it didn't sound like jazz swing; punk brought back roots rock 'n roll, but it didn't sound like Elvis or Little Richard. In both cases, a new sound was established that drew from the past without sounding like the past (albeit with notable exceptions, like Elvis Costello).

I like this song, but it doesn't sound like the future to me; it sounds like the past. Even so, it could still represent a rejection of grid pop that is beginning to take hold.

Best,

Geoff

• Members

That's a real stretch Jeff.

"{censored} You" is nowhere near in the same league "Smells Like Teen Spirit".

Not even in the same ballpark.

I think it's entirely likely that the title is
the only reason
it's had so

many Youtube hits and it's striking a nerve
because
of the silly profanity.

I mean, come on It's Youtube!

Not the deepest pond on the interwebs.

Take out the "{censored} You" and it would've sunk without a trace imho.

Which is exactly what will happen to it once the hype dies out.

Cee-Lo is an established artist with a great track record.

He doesn't need to hype anything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cee-Lo_Green

He's been a hit-making member of the Atlanta hip-hop scene for quite awhile, now. The "silly" profanity isn't meant to be shocking or controversial. It's just a funny song, using language that simply reflects the way hip-hop rolls. I like to use that word a lot, too.

It certainly doesn't take away from the cool groove of the song, IMO.

I'm from the South, too - that kind of music sounds like like home...stuff I used to groove to on Soul Train, back in the seventies.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2662999

Personally, I love it. :phil: It's catchy, it's clever. It's controversial (which never hurts from a press standpoint), and it grooves.

Take out the profanity, and you still have a emotionally appropriate vocal performance, and a very cool melody. Seriously - does anyone remember melody? It used to be kind of important once upon a time... ;) And it doesn't give up anything in terms of rhythm and groove either. That's some seriously cool R&B groove going on in there. Check the bass player on the bridge, or the funky guitar throughout. It's a well done track all the way around IMO.

• Members

"... I like this song, but it doesn't sound like the future to me; it sounds like the past ..."

I agree ... the song is referencing an old musical paradigm.

I certainly don't hear anything overtly futuristic in it.

Not that I have anything against old music ... just sayin' .....

• Members

So it sounds old to you?

Like 70's music?

'cause that's what it sounds like to me.

Same old same old ... maybe dressed up a bit with a modern production.

But definitely nothing new or ground breaking....

I agree... and you're arguing with the wrong person, because I didn't claim it was new or groundbreaking.

I just like the song.

• Members

I agree... and you're arguing with the wrong person, because I didn't claim it was new or groundbreaking.

Me neither. :)

I think it's a great example of real music for a listener category that doesn't often get treated to it.

BTW, I've listened to about 300,000 of those views on YouTube. :lol:

• Members

Me neither.

I think it's a great example of real music for a listener category that doesn't often get treated to it.

BTW, I've listened to about 300,000 of those views on YouTube.
:lol:

If you come across some Insect Warfare, do note that half the views are probably mine. ;)

Why? Because when it comes to superior quality grindcore, I'm on it. :)

And just so you're not left wondering, here's my absolute favorite song at the moment. It's actually a few songs, but with grindcore, you get more songs for your money. It's also one side of a 7" split, which makes it that much more hipster. ;)

The following 4 songs (clocking in at just over four minutes) is safe for work, but maybe not...depending on where you work:

[YOUTUBE]l_YroRILrcg[/YOUTUBE]

Bye, bye grid pop! ;)

• Members

I just like the song.

Same here. Fun song, catchy song, fun lyrics, really good melody and vocal performance that's a cool throwback to some of that '70s soul sound.

• Members

British pop singer Lily Allen also came out with a song called "{censored} You":

9hyrQzhU08w

Lyrically, it's about George W. Bush. So it should be controversial and viral, right? Well....by the time it got released (February 2009), W had already been termed out of office, so even for those who agree with the lyrical content, it was already too irrelevant for them to enjoy. I dislike GWB as much as anyone else, but I usually skip over this song.

• Members

Well... I like the song! Not many songs today (or ever) combine groove and funny in the way this one did. Cee-Lo is a real talent, and the production really highlights his over-the-top vocal performance (WHHHYYY???). I'm thinking of adding the song to my repertoire -- for select venues only, of course.

:thu:

• Members

I'm thinking of adding the song to my repertoire -- for select venues only, of course.

:thu:

I'm going to try a cover in a few weeks at a place where I know they'd appreciate it. :D

Of course, the problem is that I can't sing my ass off anywhere near to the degree that Cee-Lo does in this tune. But I can do my own rendition and hope for the best. :thu:

• Members

Apparently not.

The "fuss" is that there's an entire generation of kids who have never heard music that wasn't made from samples, autotuned, gridified, and was based on solid musical performances and melodies.

With 1.4 million views of this song in four days on YouTube, it's obviously striking a nerve beyond just the silly profanity. Songs like this are much like "Smells Like Teen Spirit". They can be a complete game changer.

What makes you think it's not to a grid? The tempo seems pretty consistent to me and the keyboard parts sound identical chorus to chorus. The tight compression on the vocal sounds like everything else on the radio these days, too, and so does the hyper-loud mastering and constant over-the-top energy level of the arrangement. By the way none of those observations means I don't like it... I like grid pop, too.

• CMS Author

Glad you posted it. I read an article about the song in the newspaper (you can guess what THAT was about) and was curious, but not curious enough to search for yet another viral YouTube entry.

I made it through about a minute of the song and got bored. If this is the future, I'll take the pasture.

• Members

Yeah, he copped a serious Al Green vibe on "Crazy".

Yeah Crazy was one of the few semi recent pop hits that I actually totally dig. I was on a kick for a while where I played that one back to back for a while.

I liked this tune thanks for posting Jeff.

• 2 months later...

Archived