Eddie Van Halen. Why do you love him? Why do you hate him?

DaveAronow

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

There's nothing I know about him that I hate. I love him for turning my head completely when I first heard him play. I was a kid playing Page/Blackmore stuff and then I heard VH1 and couldn't believe he was playing the same instrument I was..:cry:..and then he followed it up on each album up to and including "1984"..always something that made me grin like a madman and say "how the {censored} did he do that?"

He's simply one of the most important electric guitar players ever along with Hendrix. Whether you like his music or not, I don't think that's disputable. :idk:

• Members

you state this as a declarative.. when its just an opinion..

EVH has had as much effect on me as any other 80's pop metal band..

David Gilmore, John McLaughlin, Pete Townshend, Andy summers,, are far more important in my musical scope..

but this is a fan boyee thread so. if thats not evident..

see the post about 4 steps up..

just

ick..

continue..

• Members

you state this as a declarative.. when its just an opinion..

EVH has had as much effect on me as any other 80's pop metal band..

David Gilmore, John McLaughlin, Pete Townshend, Andy summers,, are far more important in my musical scope..

but this is a fan boyee thread so. if thats not evident..

see the post about 4 steps up..

just

ick..

continue..

Sure, individuals' experience will differ. By "important" I mean just that.."important" to the development of the electric guitar. Not necessarily important to you personally. I couldn't give a crap about Townshend or Summers for example..but they have been important for the electric guitar too.

• Members

Dumb things he said

"Jimmy Page is an excellent producer. Led Zeppelin 1 and Led Zeppelin 2 are classics. As a player. He's very good in the studio. I never saw him play well live. He's very sloppy. He plays like he's got a broken hand and he's two years old. But if you put out a good album and play like a two-year-old live. What's the purpose?" - Guitar World, January 1981

Smart things he said

Rethinking Jimmy Page:"He's a genius. He's a great player, a songwriter, a producer. Put it this way, he might not be the greatest executor of whatever, but then you hear a Page solo, he speaks. I've always said Clapton was my main influence, but Page was actually more the way I am, in a reckless-abandon kind of way." - Guitar World, February 1990

• Members

This is what made me love VH's music and EVH's playing @ the start: wild, reckless, tongue-in-cheek rock n roll.

However, when the Van Hagr era came, I could also appreciate the more subdued aspects of Ed's playing, thought I think underneath the keyboards it still kicked all kinds of a$$.

• Members

Late to the thread, but EVH is fantastic. Not only was he a pioneer, he's a lot more melodic than a lot of his successors. You can hum his solos, and you remember them years later. He's a great rhythm player as well, and always has great tone.

Can't speak to him as a person, but I love him as a guitar player and musician.

• Members

I think through no fault of his own, he set off the {censored} storm that was 80's glam rock guitar.

He was the step between Page and CC Deville. Not sure if i hate him or love him for that. He is certainly a great guitarist, and his work can't be transcribed through tabs alone because he introduced (or made mainstream) various techniques that would get raped in the 80's (finger tapping, pinch harmonics, etc), that are hard to duplicate by most.

• Members

Personally, I'm indifferent about EVH.. I know he exists, but I don't really care. I know he changed the face of electric guitar, and I respect that, but I don't really care for his body of work. I don't dislike it, I'm just not much of a fan. To me, when a VH song comes on the radio, I'm like "Oh yeah, I remember this song from when I was a kid..." but that's about it. I'm not like all "OMG, it's EVH! Turn that up!" So I don't love him and I don't hate him. I simply acknowledge that he exists and move on with my life.

• Members

Only read the first page and a few posts on the second...

The Hendrix/VH what-if thing would be more applicable if you went the Rhoads route...

Randy (becoming famous for the same style VH played) was already combining various musical styles into his playing and may have become much more of an innovator than VH and Hendrix ultimately were...

Hendrix took the guitar to likely greater heights than VH did given his use of heavier fuzz/OD...combination of rock/blues guitar styles...technically he wasn't a great player...but he had feel and creativity...while introducing things that VH later took advantage of...

VH brought more to the table technically speaking...but others were right there with him at the time...i.e. Rhoads...

VH furthered his style of music a great deal...Hendrix furthered music in general...and Randy may have done a good bit had he been able to stick around...

Overall I love VH and even embrace the Hagar era...VH's rhythm is great and his fills add a great deal to the songs...his solos have become an afterthought for me when listening to his music...

The ego I can tolerate...so with no first hand knowledge of his {censored}ing people over...I'll go with love...