Eddie Van Halen. Why do you love him? Why do you hate him?

DaveAronow

• Members
how would you say his stuff became ordinary? not trying to pick up a fight, just want to know your opinion. I always think that he has a completely unique style, but no one actually copied it, unlike Jimi and EVH.

Really? I've heard more than a few Tom Morello clones out in clubs; they're usually attempting to mix the whole downtuned thing with random noises (note to those guitarists: if you're not playing a 2,000+ seat venue, don't bring a Triple Rectifier!). Unfortunately, much like SRV or EVH, they don't have Morello's sense of rhythm or restraint.

He definitely is the first popular metal guitarist to use musique concrete elements in his solo sections, as opposed to simply shredding.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Guitarists who made the unordinary ordinary? Not including EVH, it would have to include:

- Django Reinhardt: Try playing his stuff. Pretty difficult, huh? Now try playing it with only two fingers!

- Les Paul: Pioneered sound-on-sound recording and the solidbody guitar, for Cthulhu's sake!

- Chuck Berry: The first guitar hero.

- Jeff Beck: Insane. Absolutely insane.

- Jimi Hendrix: Do I need to say why?

- The Edge: A killer rhythm player, and a tonal sorcerer.

- Tom Morello: A killer technician who doesn't let it get in his way.

I cannot believe u didnt mention David Torn!!!

• Members

but much of morello is misunderstood. His whole approach was to be the dj on guitar AND he doesn't play with much gain but plays very loud. RAGE was also one of the best produced bands of all time. There debut album is considered one of the pinnacles of studio sound and is sometimes used to test speakers, much as early VH was. Tom Morello IS the VH of the 90's though.

• Members

Don't hate Eddie. I find it sad that chemical dependency derailed him for a while and his health issues and family issues and band issues totally overshadowed the music. The video of him on youtube drunk at NAMM demoing the $25,000 frankenstein reissues was one of the saddest things I've seen in the last ten years. I hope he straightens out someday.

• Members

I'd say he's pretty straight right now, at least compared to a few years ao. When you see the pics of him where he looks like a scary little old lady vs. how he looked on Two and a Half Men (most recent shots of him), it's night and day.

He has a new life with a new wife, a new band with his son, and WB is looking forward to releasing a new VH CD where they refused to even consider it just a few years ago. I'd say with things going well, he has lots to look forward to. As everyone knows, once an alcoholic always and alcoholic. But he looks good and kicked ass on tour. I think the possibility of a relapse and re-entering rehab will be a fact of life from now on, but he's on the right track.

One thing to add, even when he was loaded on some drug or another, he could still play the {censored} out of the guitar.

-Mc

• Members

I do like that EVH isn't a metalhead, even tho he's probably the one (along with Randy Rhoads) who started the metal/shred/speed playing ethic.

VH's songs are still just good rock 'n roll, and not all dark and depressing like most metal is.

It's like the pop and hair metal of the '80s, I actually liked that genre of music, especially the guitar playing.

As DLR once described VH's music (when he was still with them, the first time around), it's "Big Rock.":idea::lol:

• 10 months later...
  • Members
he's actually a classically trained pianists, so musically he's probably MORE inclined than hendrix, beck, etc.

I can't comment on this OLD post with anything more than my own limited understanding of these guy's musical upbringing, but I have a strong feeling that Ed was more of the type that would figure it out by ear than by using theory to apply it to learning any song, piano or guitar.

Beck and Hendrix on the other hand had been gigging in a bunch of different bands for years before they broke it big on their own. Eddie basically jammed with Alex and they through Mike in the mix later. Mike complimented Ed who fed off of Alex's beats and the melody and everything basically came from him doing what he wanted. Roth through vocals over it.

I'm just saying the Eddie plays what sounds right to him and has always done that. Beck and Hendrix would be more adept at jumping in on with anyone and getting into a groove by feeding off the others.

Eddie isn't a follower, he's got to the be the lead IMHO.

• Members
Top 3 on a list that would be really hard to complete in my book. I frickin love everything he has done except for the VHIII abortion with Cherone.

I don't know him personally and won't ever meet him and the only thing that I need from him is his music and he's delivered for me over the years as well as anyone that I can think of.

I could care less about the crap that gets out to the media because at the end of the day I am sure that he's done 10 times as much good {censored} for others that just isn't newsworthy enough to be reported (just like everything in life these days). Judging someone based on what the press reports is just silly. He's a frickin person and for some reason people seem to forget that.

He's done nothing but bring good times to my life. I frickin love him.
:thu:

You took the cum right out of my cock with that one :thu:

• Members

Ed, to me, is the prime example of the rock guitarist. He wrote killer hard rock tunes, had amazing rhythm and lead chops, had the stage presence, had the tone, had the look... in short, he was everything that embodies the perfect rock guitarist in my book. Unfortunately, he's had a bit of a fall from grace in the last fifteen years, but c'est le vie, I suppose.

• Members

I love that he makes fantastic music and has a great taste for gear and tone. I have nothing against him, but a luthier of his told me he "He's's the most talented and gifted guitarist I've ever heard but he is a mean and nasty person". I've never met Ed, so I won't judge.

I also can't wait for the new album!