What to do when you can't sell a guitar?

jr_vw2

• Members

So what do you guys do when you can't seem to get rid of a guitar. I've been trying to sell my Kelly for months now with not so much as one email or phone call. I guess I don't really have to sell it but it just sits around and I'm sure I could find something else to buy with the funds.

So do I just hang on to it an see if I like it more later on down the road. Or just keep posting it or slash the price? WWYD

• Members

yeah, thats pretty cheap.

Yeah I'm losing my butt at that price but I really thought it would move pretty fast and I could move on to something else.

And to really get it the way I really want it I would hav to put more money into it then I would never get my money back on it.

• Members

Stupid question but have you tried e-Bay?

I have tried selling several guitars on here at really good prices and after a week or so I list them on e-Bay. I ALWAYS make more money and they are gone fast.

I know that people love to bash e-Bay, but you get a huge viewership and people are there to buy, not BS.

• Members

Have you considered donating it to a local music program and taking the tax write-off?

+1 :thu:

Times are tough for everyone right now. Even those with disposable cash are scared to spend it. I continue to list guitars for sale here, but honestly it's been a while since I actually sold(or traded) one to a forumite. I sometimes go to eBay. But with their new fee structure it gets to feeling like your giving your stuff away....

I continue to have pretty good luck on Craigslist....considering.

• Members

If you want to sell it then sell it on eBay with no reserve and start the bidding at 99 cents. You mat not get the 200 but it will sell. And if you're lucky there will be a bidding war and you'll get your price.

Ebay sounds like a good solution, but I am skeptical of the NO RESERVE option, unless you really don't mind selling it for $50 or less.

• Members

I have tried trading several times. I don't think I'm asking too much. $200 shipped.

GC used doesn't have a single one over $200. The lowest is $129 and there are a couple at $149 (one comes with a coffin case). They even have nice Kelly Professional for $159 and a KE3 for $179. A JS sold on Ebay for $143. You are about $50 overpriced.

• Members

If you want to sell it then sell it on eBay with no reserve and start the bidding at 99 cents. You mat not get the 200 but it will sell. And if you're lucky there will be a bidding war and you'll get your price.

This. Unless you do a poor job of listing it, there are seldom bargains on Ebay. I don't always get what I hoped, but I always get enough. Sometimes more than I hoped.

Archived