An Open Suggest to Jay (or rivals)

golias

• Members

Hey, golias, wake up and smell the bung hole. Yeah, the one under your nose that keeps spewing fecal material. Those prewired p/g's Jay sells at a bargain basement price DO NOT have GFS pups in 'em. They do offer a service to build a p/g with their parts and it costs you. Jay clearly stated that he will be doing this. And he's trying to keep the cost within reason. But I can almost guarantee it will end up costing more than the price of parts. At 41 years old, you probably just forgot what was taught in economics class. Or you were stoned that day.

• Members

Hey, golias, wake up and smell the bung hole. Yeah, the one under your nose that keeps spewing fecal material. Those prewired p/g's Jay sells at a bargain basement price DO NOT have GFS pups in 'em. They do offer a service to build a p/g with their parts and it costs you. Jay clearly stated that he will be doing this. And he's trying to keep the cost within reason. But I can almost guarantee it will end up costing more than the price of parts. At 41 years old, you probably just forgot what was taught in economics class. Or you were stoned that day.

I didn't claim they were GFS pups.

But go ahead and price out what it would cost to order the everything that goes into their strat guards, minus the pickups, from his site (with shipping)

I'll save you time.

Before shipping: $33.14

Shipping to Minnesota: $9.04

Total: $42.18

The identical parts in a pre-loaded GFS guard with some cheapie no-name pickups:

Before shipping: $32.95

Shipping to Minnesota: $9.04

Total: $41.99

So even if I throw the pickups in the trash, it's a few cents CHEAPER to buy the pre-wired guard.

And if I do hate the pickups, I can flip them on Craigslist for ten bucks (or drop them into an old Squier that I don't care about) and come out even further ahead.

Bottom line: Jay can do this because his costs to have this stuff factory-assembled is minimal, and he does better volume with less hassle by bundling it together. Economies of scale, my friend. Economies of scale.

Know WTF you're talking about before calling other people stupid.

• Members

Stop kicking Golias in the (metaphorical) nuts; I agree, it's a great idea.

If I order the parts to build a loaded pickguard from Jay, he has to pay someone a Massachusetts salary to pull 8-12 different things off the shelf, pack them up, check them off, and ship them. If I order a prewired pickguard from Jay, he has to pay someone far-East wages who is sitting on an assembly line to solder it together, then a Massachusetts salary to pull one item off the shelf, pack it, and ship it. Which has a lower labor cost? (Hint: the latter.) The difference is so great he can throw in no-name pickups and charge _less_. Labor costs the US are high. (As are living costs.)

All Golias is saying is that, given Jay's set-up, he can probably sell us the switchplate that goes into his Xaviere teles, soldered together 12K miles away, for less than he could sell us the individual parts. (Or, if he could get someone on an assembly line 12K miles away to put the parts into a sealed bag w/o soldering them, Jay could sell that bag 'o parts for less than the cost of the parts purchased individually.)

Simple economics. People figured this out in the 1600s. Let's move along, folks. Jay (and Kurt, etc.) are providing us a service. So are vintage clubber and norcal_git_r, and until recently, atrox -- but it's a very different service.

• Members

Golias, I, for one apologise. But don't you think Jay would already be selling these if he had an overseas supplier? Do you think Jay comes here because of his concern for the health & well being of the HC community? PHUCK NO! He's a business man. The overseas supplier is the key here. Cheap Asian labor.

• Members

So even if I throw the pickups in the trash, it's a few cents CHEAPER to buy the pre-wired guard.

Yeah, but really in the big scheme of things, you're not talking about much of a difference in the first place. I'm not seeing the problem here - but that's not unusual in and of itself. I'm just not sure that it's worth anybody's investment to offer that level of pre-assembly, and I can also see Joe Internet bitching about how he never would have chosen those components for a quality build, or some other such nonsense.

• Members

This was, I must say, a very enlightening thread.

One vendor won't post (set) any prices.

One berates half of his clientele for doing what he considers silly mods, even though 50% of his revenue, he admits, is generated from selling to people doing silly mods.

And another attacks a potential customer and curses them in a public forum.

Class.

• Moderators

This was, I must say, a very enlightening thread.

One vendor won't post (set) any prices.

One berates half of his clientele for doing what he considers silly mods, even though 50% of his revenue, he admits, is generated from selling to people doing silly mods.

And another attacks a potential customer and curses them in a public forum.

Class.

Interesting precis:lol:

• Members

We're gonna do GOOD quality stuff prewired-

We'll have a plastic piece that is like the bottom 1/3 of a strat guard with all the stuff assembled- just unbolt the pots and switch, stick it on a Strat guard and you're ready to roll- Each of the three locations for the pickups will have a small color coded piece of wire sticking out- so even if you CAN'T solder you can crimp on some pickups- price will be cheap- but of course I am not using USA made stuff here- Good quality Taiwan sourced pots and switch and a USA cap- So the guys using CTS and CRL are offering a service I do not provide.

The Tele plate will be the same- pre-wired- full sized pots- good switch, output jack assembled- for LESS than the cost (My prices) of the items separately. Again- if you want CTS and CRL there are other guys offering very good deals on those parts.

But you know- i gotta move tonnage to make any money so I'm going to try to be very affordable.

Jay

• Members

Sounds like Jay has the bases covered here and even I see the benefit of offering a pre-wired tele plate at a reasonable cost. Not sure why the uproar in this thread, it just seem cheaper if you are a modder to buy a pre-wired plate and then mod to taste, rather than buying parts piecemeal which will always cost more in the long run.

• Members

This thread makes me laugh. It seems like a lot of vitriol over whether a company like Guitarfetish can make a pre-wired Tele control plate at a reasonable cost (i.e., below the cost of the components all bought separately at retail prices) with decent components, which there is definitely a market for.

I suppose the easiest way to think of it, for someone like me who builds a lot of Tele-style projects and often buys this stuff from Jay, is to look at the cost breakdown based on the prices on his website:

USA Spec switch w/tip: $11.90

Two 250k pots: $4.90

Orange Drop cap (set of 2): $2.95

Control Plate: $9.95

Chrome Knobs: $9.95

Tele Jack/Cup: $5.95

Sub Total: $45.60

Plus Shipping: $7.59 (to Chicago)

Total: $52.19

I have a feeling Jay would be able to use those same quality components, have them wired together at the factory, and sell them for less. Even if he sells the whole thing for $39.99 plus shipping, which is reasonable, then it makes more sense for someone like me who does a lot of Tele projects to buy the prewired one rather than all the separate components. It saves a little headache on my end as far as wiring goes; it would be slightly cheaper; Jay would still make a decent profit; people are happy because he's providing a product they want for a reasonable price. :D

• Members

I'll be the first to admit I went off half cocked (not a good thing to do with a female!:lol:). And I don't get the desire to order a complete tele plate for another reason. I went and did an inventory of my pack rat stash.

250K pots: got 4

3 way blade switch: got 2

Caps: several in different values

Wire: got miles of it

Tele plates: got 3, one of each color

Knobs: howdigetsomany????

I sometimes forget that not everyone is as severely afflicted with pack rat syndrome as I am.

If I wanna wire up a tele I just dig in my stash. I'm done in way less time than it takes to mail order something.

Archived