Mercury Magnetics BlackHeart Little Giant Upgrade

burton4snow

• Members

Has any one done this? I'm thinking about doing this mod but wondering if it is really good improvement. I can't find any Blackheart MM Mod videos on You Tube but the other amps like the Champ 600 seem to lose some clean headroom. I am also worried about noise. Anyone done this Mod and had good or bad results?

• Members

They just want you to buy their overpriced transformers. I have modded many Blackheart and VJr's and the transformers really are pretty good for stock. Not worth the $$$$. I have added extra tubes and all kinds of things to them and there are certainly better places to spend money...like on a better amp. They are ok if you do a few small things to them but if you think you need a new transformer, maybe you should be spending money on a bigger/better amp to begin with. Just my .02

• Members

But will better transformers make it sound better? Are the Mercury Magnetics good transformers. I am willing to drop $219 on that if the harmonics shine through! Hell I drop more on an evening out or an overdrive pedal. I like the design of the amp and don't really want to get another one, just want to improve this one. I mainly run pedals through it because it is too damn loud. I think I am just looking for a richer clean sound from it.

• Members

But will better transformers make it sound better? Are the Mercury Magnetics good transformers. I am willing to drop $219 on that if the harmonics shine through! Hell I drop more on an evening out or an overdrive pedal. I like the design of the amp and don't really want to get another one, just want to improve this one. I mainly run pedals through it because it is too damn loud. I think I am just looking for a richer clean sound from it.

As others have said, the existing tranny is good enough that you'd probably not be able to hear much difference. I think you should take that $215 and get a good alnico speaker instead. A Celestion Blue or Weber Blue Dog would get you more headroom and a much richer clean sound. And you can always swap the original back in at selling time.

• Members

if youre so concerned about what you can do to make your amp sound better, sell your amp. its not working out for you.

This.

A transformer upgrade is probably close to the most you can spend on an amp upgrade for the least audible result. I would totally go with MM if I had an amp with a burned-out transformer and needed a replacement. They are awesome and I think the ones used in a lot of budget tube amps are less than completely trustworthy.

But replacing one that's not malfunctioning... I can think of SO many better ways to spend your money if you're looking to improve your amp tone, the simplest of which being: Sell the amp and buy a nicer one.

• Members

But replacing one that's not malfunctioning... I can think of SO many better ways to spend your money if you're looking to improve your amp tone, the simplest of which being: Sell the amp and buy a nicer one.

Actually the simplest and most cost effective is to try a different speaker if you like the fundamental tone of amp.

• Members

As others have said, the existing tranny is good enough that you'd probably not be able to hear much difference. I think you should take that $215 and get a good alnico speaker instead. A Celestion Blue or Weber Blue Dog would get you more headroom and a much richer clean sound. And you can always swap the original back in at selling time.

I just switched to WGS Veteran 30 from a Vintage 30 and while I thought it was an improvement Iam still not getting the sound or I think there is better tone I can get out of this. Maybe I'll check that out.

The reason I am sticking with this amp is that from my signature you can see that I have tried alot of amps and so far this one has sound the best especially with pedals. I still a/b them all the time because I have not sold any of them and the Little Giant always sounds best to me.

I guess the problem is that there is not the clarity I want in the notes and the cleans don't sparkle enough and this could be the speakers I am using.

Don't get me wrong I get alot of useable tones just always searching for that one good tone.

So what makes an Alnico speaker better than the rest. Does it have more clarity because that is what I am looking for.

• Members

I guess the problem is that there is not the clarity I want in the notes and the cleans don't sparkle enough and this could be the speakers I am using.

Don't get me wrong I get alot of useable tones just always searching for that one good tone.

So what makes an Alnico speaker better than the rest. Does it have more clarity because that is what I am looking for.

I thought I read that a ceramic is better in small amps like the Champ 600 as the low powered amps don't have the power to push alinco's like they should and you lose some of the high end. So maybe it's the same in the Blackheart? Perhaps a good ceramic say a Weber would get you more clarity???

• Members

I thought I read that a ceramic is better in small amps like the Champ 600 as the low powered amps don't have the power to push alinco's like they should and you lose some of the high end. So maybe it's the same in the Blackheart? Perhaps a good ceramic say a Weber would get you more clarity???

What is a good ceramic celestion just to compare? With Weber is the Blue Dog a good one? They also have a watts selection should I go with just 15 watts since I don't play loud and really don't push the speaker hard?

• Members

You aren't going to get good note clarity like you say from a 5 watt amp...especially at a loud volume...and then throw an OD or distortion on top of that...this amp isn't designed to really be that clean. Your sig says you have a Rebel 20. You should start with that amp...at least you have more headroom to work with.

• Members

What is a good ceramic celestion just to compare? With Weber is the Blue Dog a good one? They also have a watts selection should I go with just 15 watts since I don't play loud and really don't push the speaker hard?

The Weber Blue Dog is basically a very good copy of the Celestion Blue. The Blue is most famous as the stock speaker in the classic Vox AC30s and AC15s from the 60s, and is standard on the high-end Voxes and many boutique amps today. It has incredible clarity and sparkle and the odd quality of sounding closer to you than it physically is. It's also very efficient and can make a small amp considerably louder. Alnico speakers like the Blue/Blue Dog also compress in a very pleasing way when pushed.

Compared with say, a Greenback, the Blue will be louder with a more pronounced high end and the aforementioned compression. The Greenback has a smoother, darker tone with blurrier but very musical mids. When I had one of those Blackhearts I had a Greenback in it, which was a huge improvement over the stocker, but it still didn't really bring the amp to life.

Weber makes a ceramic version of the Blue Dog that has a lot of the best qualities of both, and it's cheap.

I run a 50 watt Blue Dog in my 18watt amp and it's fine. My understanding is that the lower wattage Webers tend to be brighter. I would go with the 15 watt if I had it to do again.

It's worth mentioning that the Blue and Blue Dog speakers need many hours of breaking in before they start sounding good.

• Members

Should I go with ceramic because I have a lower wattage amp?

Either one is fine. It'll be louder with the Blue or Blue Dog alnicos, if that's what you want. They're more efficient than most ceramics are. Of course there are a bazillion other speakers on the market of either type and they're all different. I'm just using the examples I have direct experience with. A Blackheart isn't going to have any problem driving a 15-watt speaker of either type. You can drive a 4x12 cabinet with one and it won't hurt it at all.

Based on what I think you want, I recommend the Weber Blue Dog 15 watt alnico. You may want to contact Weber to make sure it'll physically fit in that cabinet as the magnet sticks out a lot further than the stock speaker does.

Archived