Good strat pups for finger-style playing?

Rusty_Chains

• Members

I've got an MIM, maple-necked strat and the stock alnico pups have very little character. I play in open tunings and do a lot of finger-style instrumental stuff.

I play a lot of slide too. I mainly play clean with compression but I like a light tube overdrive as well and am looking for a pickup that retains clarity and definition even while overdriven.

I'd like some suggestions - under $100 preferable.

The best strat pups I've tried to date are the GFS 64 Staggers but I'd like to try something different - considering the Boston Blues.

Opinions?

• Members

Any 6k-ish Strat pickup will be nice - balanced tone, on the warmer side of vintage. Truthfully, Strat pickups aren't rocket science, and they're easy to do well. The GFS ones (Alnico II or Premium V) are just fine, and best of all, they're cheap.

• Members

What about fender tex mex?

I wouldn't go with those. They're more of poor man's Texas Special type pickup, more about having more "balls" and less about crystal clarity.

In the price range I don't have a ton of advice to offer you, other than the fact that stock MIM Strat pickups definitely stink and just about anything should be an upgrade.

My experience with GFS pickups (in my case, the Mean 90) is that they are a significant upgrade over cheap stock pickups and very cost-effective. I'd just go with something nice and low output.

• Members

If you could score a used set of the Fender 57/62's, those would be great pickups for clean fingerstyle playing. I'm actually really surprised that they didn't end up in the Mark Knopfler sig Strat; they'd be a perfect match for that style.

Ya what's with that he got texas specials :idk:

• Members

Ya what's with that he got texas specials
:idk:

Don't know, but he has been using them pretty religiously since his Sig came out and he still sounds like MK. He plays a Sig model for most of his live shows and then every couple of shows auctions it off for charity and moves on to the next Sig.

But then he was using EMG in his Pensa Suhrs.

And he's been using higher-gain amps since the early '90's...SLO, Komet, Reinhardt's take on the JCM800.

• Members

I wouldn't go with those. They're more of poor man's Texas Special type pickup, more about having more "balls" and less about crystal clarity.

In the price range I don't have a ton of advice to offer you, other than the fact that stock MIM Strat pickups definitely stink and just about anything should be an upgrade.

My experience with GFS pickups (in my case, the Mean 90) is that they are a significant upgrade over cheap stock pickups and very cost-effective. I'd just go with something nice and low output.

Tex Mex, IMHO, is a much, much better PU than the Texas Special. It's not as overwound. I would say they are more Fralin Vintage Hot/Fender Fat '50's than Texas Special. They can definitely do the clean or slightly-breaking-up Strat thing. I think they may be the best non-CS Strat PU Fender makes.

• Members

Really liked my Tex Mex pups when I had them in a MIM strat. Now I have them in a warmouth build but the neck radius is to flat for the stagger on them and they just don't sound that good.

Wouldn't put them with anything less than 9.5 radius neck again.

• Moderators

If you could score a used set of the Fender 57/62's, those would be great pickups for clean fingerstyle playing. I'm actually really surprised that they didn't end up in the Mark Knopfler sig Strat; they'd be a perfect match for that style.

57/62s are a great pickup, and for not a lot of cash, I'm guessing that you could pick up a used st in the US pretty easily.

I keep a constant search on Ebay for used sets of boutiques, van Zandts, Suhrs, Fralins, Lollars, Harmonic design etc, and get lucky a few times a year.

These days I'd sooner have a great set of pickups for average money than an average set for less money.

All of my Casters now have "boutique" pickups and all picked up at less than or the same as some economical builders that inhabit this forum:)

Archived