Honestly, what do you guys think of........

cerebrix

• Members

"What kind of guitar should I buy?" threads.

We see them all the time, we respond to them in varying different ways based on our own personal opinions.

But what do you actually think of seeing these threads all the time?

They don't personally bother me, but I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone thinks.

talk amongst yourselves =p

• Members

I stopped responding to them...the outcome is always predictable...

Person wants guitar...person doesn't know WHAT they want...I ask questions...they respond...I recommend...they ask questions...I answer...they argue...I respond...someone else makes completely opposite recommendation...thye decide I don't know what I'm talking about...I get pissed and sulk in the G'n'G thread...

• Members

A guitar is a personal thing, so it's up to the buyer to do his homework, obviously. This said, we can help by giving pointers, warnings, etc. The more objective they are, the better.

I remember asking such questions when I registered and was looking for a semi hollow and a new tube amp. I ended up buying brands/models I would have otherwise overlooked (purely by ignorance): Heritage H535 and Peavey Delta Blues.

So I know first hand that these threads can be helpful. :thu:

• Members

it's worse on the drum forum, because it's all you douchebag guitar players that think you want to/can play drums coming in asking the same kinda {censored}.

nah see id never be guilty of that. if i had a place to play id call my friend dave and ask him what to buy =p

that dude knows everything when it comes to drums =p

• Members

I steer clear of those threads for the most part. The responses are predictable. Basically, everyone suggests their favorite guitar, often with little regard for what the original poster was asking about. I'm glad you love your R9 Les Paul, but do you think that is helpful advice for a guy looking for a telecaster? The thread finally dies after the consensus that any guitar will do, as long as you load it with BG or GFS pickups, is reached. zzzzzzz

• Members

People come here for advice. No surprise.

They can, however, be summed up fairly easily...

Buy an Agile, Xavier or a CV Squier, then upgrade with the aforementioned GFS pups.

Seems like many have already made up their mind, though, and just want some validation.

The more interesting ones tend to be more experienced guys looking to branch out into different styles of guitars.

EG

• Members

Yeah I post on them, when I see a intelligent noob asking for serious advice.

I'll stay clear though if it's someone asking about...

The most evil :evil: looking guitar because you know... I'm brootalz and how low I can hang my guitar? How low can I tune down? What stickers would look best on my Warlock? Do you think my 10 watt amp is enough for gigs (you know... when four or five neighborhood kids listen in my living room) with my band or should I buy the cheapest 100 watt head I can find?

I try to be helpful but my pet peeve is when people start recommending guitars, amps or gear they have never played, other than that one time at Guitar Center for three minutes or have just read about in an ad in one of the guitar rags.

The other one that irks me is the guy that plays four different Strats (Tele, LPs or whatever) in one week and suddenly becomes a Strat "expert".

:facepalm:

• Members

I stopped responding to them...the outcome is always predictable...

Person wants guitar...person doesn't know WHAT they want...I ask questions...they respond...I recommend...they ask questions...I answer...they argue...I respond...someone else makes completely opposite recommendation...thye decide I don't know what I'm talking about...I get pissed and sulk in the G'n'G thread...

This.

This is the outcome of ALL of those threads. They say "I'm thinking of gettin a schecter or an epiphone...i like the schecters tonal options but i have an epi and like it." You say something like "Well i have plenty of schecters and love em all and don't care at all for epi's" and they end up saying "Im gettin the epi".....bastards.

• Members

I think, for the most part, they are genuine requests for opinions on a piece of gear. They probably make less sense for guitars than amps, pedals, or recording stuff, since guitars can be so very varied and our sense of their qualities is so subjective.

Whether or not they are helpful for the thread starter is another matter. In many cases, they are not, as there is no way of separating the wheat from the chaff in advice, and much of the advice is based on limited experience.

There are also some quite funny repeat poll-makers, and I sometimes wonder how they get through life without asking a friend which toilet paper to buy, or which socks to wear. But most (like me), usually want a feeling about something confirmed (cf. all the 'talk me out of' threads).

This forum would make an excellent case study for a project on interactive mass psychology.

• Members

Like someone said above, I usually don't respond in such threads unless the person asking at least has a realistic, reasonable idea in what he/she wants in a guitar.

Even then, all it could be is my opinion, as what tone sounds best, and which guitar is better than which is all subjective, so comparing things that are solely dependent on the ear of the beholder is pretty much an exercise in futility.

I usually tell them to go and play a lot of guitars, don't even LOOK at the headstocks, and if they like what they hear and feel, ask for the price. If it's too expensive, discard that option, and repeat the process. Eventually you'll end up with several favorites, then decide from them.

• Members

well, i think the one reason why people have made them, myself included is, and lets face it (flame suit on).

most guitar companies are flat out crooks selling us overpriced lumber scraps. its hard to know what exactly went into wood selection, and how much care was used in construction without being there.

which for me is why i only trust 4 us manufacturers now. gibson and fender are not on that list and i dont ever see them being on it. their employees all have that "i cant wait to get the {censored} out of here" look on their faces in every factory tour video ive seen.

so for me at least, if im asking, im generally fishing for horror stories. in hindsight, i should probably just ask for horror stories =p.

now that i think about it, perhaps all of us would learn more from asking for horror stories than asking for another persons opinion on choice.

• Members

I don't mind them. I think I made one or two of these threads in the past, and about new pickups to get so that's kinda the same thing. I don't see anything wrong with getting some suggestions... it gives you an idea of what to look out for (all taken with a grain of salt of course).

I don't respond all the time (well most of the time actually), but I help when I can. I usually limit myself to stuff I played though, or mention something that gets rave reviews consistently.

• Members

As long as its a quality guitar from one of the major brands, it doesn't even matter. It'll keep a good amount of its value. This is the one thing that's cool about guitars that other activities don't have. Guitars hold value pretty well, so you're never really out that much money.

I haven't been playing that long, but I've figured out you can play just about anything with just about any guitar. If you think something is cool, just get it and play it. Sell it later if you don't want it.

So yes, I think "What guitar should I get" threads are basically useless. People always get what they want anyway.

Archived