Best goop for an ebony board?

notjonahbutnoah

• Members

Well?

I've become more concerned with fretboard upkeep lately. I've always had sub $500 guitars, and now with my Gibson I feel the need to baby it. I love the thing, plays amazingly. I love the ebony board so much. When I pull out my epi and see rosewood on white, it just looks bad to me, but the ebony looks amazing. I wanna keep it putry. What should I use??? Lemon oil? That "hydrate" stuff? Note: it has big nice trapezoid inlays, so, I want those to stay white/pearlescent. Ok. Go!

• Members

Folks always offer up generic off the shelf products (which I'm sure is good advice) but I always think, why not just get this?

Free shipping, small little bottle that takes up no space and will still practically last you a life time.

I just use a drop on each fret space, about half that further up the neck on the smaller spaces, rub it around with my finger tip, let it sit for about 5 minutes, then rub it back off with a rag.

$2.39

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AILC965/

AILC965.jpg

• Members

Ok, seems like game set match. Any personal exp with it and ebony???

I have a few boards that are ebony. I use it on any rosewood or ebony board I have. Doesn't do anything for maple due to the lacquering used there.

Ebony doesn't seem to be as porous as rosewood, but basically, I use that Gibson product on anything.

I usually only do it once a year or so since I have a lot of guitars in rotation. I think someone here did point out that you can over soak a board, so I'd just do it when it appears dry-ish. I think that beside appearance, it helps protect against wear and possible cracking/splitting. My oldest Gibson LP has some natural scalloping going on. It's the guitar I learned on so it suffered a lot of death gipped cow boy chording. I've wondered if I had oiled the board if it would have resisted some of that wear. But in any case, it gave it some character.

• Members

Hmmm, well I already use fast fret, could I just rub the stick all over he fingerboard??? That is only mineral oil.

Yes, you can rub it all over the fretboard and use a soft bristle toothbrush to get any gunk out from the fret edges then wipe it all down with a clean cloth. Ebony is dense and oily compared to most woods and needs the least maintenance but keeping it clean is a very nice touch.

• Members

Yes, you can rub it all over the fretboard and use a soft bristle toothbrush to get any gunk out from the fret edges then wipe it all down with a clean cloth. Ebony is dense and oily compared to most woods and needs the least maintenance but keeping it clean is a very nice touch.

:thu: Thanks man!!! Good info.

• Members

Well?

I've become more concerned with fretboard upkeep lately. I've always had sub $500 guitars, and now with my Gibson I feel the need to baby it. I love the thing, plays amazingly. I love the ebony board so much. When I pull out my epi and see rosewood on white, it just looks bad to me, but the ebony looks amazing. I wanna keep it putry. What should I use??? Lemon oil? That "hydrate" stuff? Note: it has big nice trapezoid inlays, so, I want those to stay white/pearlescent. Ok. Go!

I use Bore oil, its made for ebony instruments like clarinets but it works a lot better than the lemon oil stuff for guitars. That stuff just seems like repackaged furniture polish to me.

• Moderators

Fret Doctor/Bore Doctor

I never buy anything else, but these days I make my own with some melon seed oil (low viscosity) with some essential oils of rosemary and clove bud oil for long term perservative value.

I never see the sense of using mineral oil on wood, when there are plenty of plant based products available

Archived