RIP, Don Van Vliet, Captain Beefheart

Magpel

• Members

Without our captain we really will be sailing on a sea of cheese.

I can't find verification but I think he is the one who said that "artists are the ones who kid themselves most gracefully."

Quotes from Mr. Van Vliet

"I'm not a rock star. I'm a soft person. I'm not a rock."

1971 Rick McGrath interview

On putting whale meat in dog-food:

"Dogs don't want to eat whalemeat. [They] can't go on the ocean."

1973 Sounds

"I was like an egg rolling through time until I was 24. Then the egg cracked and I popped out."

1973 Oui Magazine

"I got tired of scaring people with what I was doing."

1972 Crawdaddy

On his fascination with corvids:

"Those ravens with those tuft things under their beaks like a double chin are pretty hip."

1982 Musician Magazine

Cultivate your own fascination at the Crows and Ravens site

"I don

• Members

Well, people can live very rich lives with MS, but, of course, it takes its toll.

I'd seen him at his Golden Bear shows (at the old Golden Bear in Huntington Beach, CA) in the early 80s (which were great -- the last Magic Band lineup was really sharp and Captain was really on his game). But then I went to one of his first big art shows at a big, trendy westside gallery in the late 80s (an amazing show, itself, if you like fauvistic expressionism -- and when I do, I do -- and I did) and after I'd seen everything once (I usually do two swings through any big retrospective and there were many score works), I saw a small entourage around a skinny guy in a wheel chair, under a floppy hat, with sunglasses. I was shocked. Only a few years before he'd looked hale and hearty at the 'Bear shows.

Outside, I heard a fellow around my age talking to his companions and who, from what he was saying, had known Don back in Lancaster. I excused myself for interrupting and asked him if he knew why the Captain was in a wheel chair. He didn't but we talked for a while and he shared that, as a little kid, he hung around around then-teenaged Zappa and Don and going out on errands like buying paint for them in day long painting sessions.

Eventually in the 90s, when the internet started filling in, I finally came across the once-somewhat guarded info that Don did, indeed, have MS and that that was one of the reasons why he'd left performing.

Given that, I consider his career in art and the big body of paintings he must surely have left behind (since there were a lot in that long-ago retropspective) as a real triumph of the creative spirit -- which Captain Beefheart clearly overflowed with...

I'm surely going to miss him.

• Members

In my view his last few albums are his best. He finally had a band that understood his intentions and had the skills to pull it ff and the recordings were free of the studio gimmickry (excessive flanging etc.) that marred many of his earlier recordings. My favorite is Shiny Beast/Bat Chain Puller.

[video=youtube;Dtz2DSpk9yc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dtz2DSpk9yc c

• Members

:eek::mad::(

I am as sad to hear that as I could be.

CB/ Don (van) Vliet was one of my musical heroes from my teen years til the day after next week.

I've studied & even learned some of his music. His approach informed my own, in between the Beatles, Hendrix & George Clinton's PFunk mob.

Though many who actually played with CB were resentful of what they endured to work with him (he was apparently a very hard cat to get along with at times), they all continued to respect what he created with their help.

Truly, There ain't No Santa Claus...long may we enjoy the music Don sculpted now that he's "up in his glider".

, whipping up on what ZZTop would like to be.

For those who may think that BeefheART was only about "harsh, weird" music, dig these 2 tunes.

My Head Is My Only House

(Yeah, I know "Soapbox" Geoff Grace already linked it but it's worth noting again.)

Her Eyes Are A Blue Million Miles

& for Hard Truth's quotation file (& all else who still fight this notion)...

"Everybody's coloured---or else you couldn't even see them."

---Don Van Vliet in his first Rolling Stone feature story.

Archived