Guitar Center's "mod demo" Squier Strat

BIGD

• Members

So I go into GC today on my lunch break to buy strings. On the way out, I see the "multi effect" station and the demo guitar hanging from it that has all of these stickers, one of which says "ask a service person about guitar mods". It's a Squier Standard Strat with a big headstock.

I see the guitar has a full size JB hum in the bridge, little 59 in the middle, and hot rails in the neck. It also has a little push button kill switch, and a toggle that I'm assuming is a coil tap. I start playing the thing, and I loved it so much I was going to ask them if I could buy it.

Can someone please tell me to stop being a {censored} and learn how to solder so I can make my guitars cool too?

• Members

Can someone please tell me to stop being a {censored} and learn how to solder so I can make my guitars cool too?

There is absolutely no reason not to mod a strat. It is by far the easiest guitar to mod -- far easier than a tele or anything else -- because all of the electronics are mounted on the pickguard, so you don't have to thread wires or anything else. Just do it!!!

• Members

Its such a valuable skill that it doesnt make any sense NOT to learn how to solder. Just do it man its not that hard

But, but, I-za scay-ud.

There's like, lead fumes, and like, it doesn't come with an easy instruction manual.."flowing solder".."don't heat the solder, heat the component", "cold solder joint", "tinning". It makes me want to cry.

• Members

Lead fumes? I used to chew with lead toys as a kid! Ok, so it is bad for you - but no need to be scared of inhaling a little bit!

Buy a cheap guitar - Squier strat is perfect - and practice taking it apart and reassembling it. I've just bought a cheap axe for exactly this purpose! If I totally screw it up maybe I'll start practicing refrets on the neck!

Archived