School me on GFS True-Coils Texas Wound

BlueSky1963

• Members

I've had a few sets of GFS single coils. I got a set of the Premium Alnico Vs (that I bought from Doc Morbius) that are pretty similar to the Fender CS69s. He's not big on the real 69s, so to speak for him, he'd probably say they are very decent, but not really him. I quite like the CS69s and I'd say the GFS Premium Alnico V set are great for the money. I think I'd actually say that I prefer the GFS set for the #2 and #4 positions.

The real stars of the GFS lineup in my opinion, at least for vintage-minded folks, are the Premium Alnico II set. Quite similar to the CS54s, but I'd say the 54s win on the #2 and #4 positions, but those are some pretty big shoes to fill as the 54s and the Duncan Antiquities are my favorite single coil pickups at any price that I've ever tried.

I usually don't for anything 'hot' or 'overwound' or 'Texas' or anything like that and can't comment on any of GFS's sets like that.

• Members

I usually don't for anything 'hot' or 'overwound' or 'Texas' or anything like that and can't comment on any of GFS's sets like that.

I generally don't care for overwound pickups either. But, it's nice to have a spare Strat that functions as your "go for the jugular" Strat -- which is a Strat outfitted with meaty / dangerous / snarling single coils (no humbuckers allowed) that you plug into yer Marshall stack.

• Members

For sure... but when I want something to really be aggressive, I usually go for P90s or a humbucker.

And in the interest of full disclosure, with strats, hotter pickups don't always mean SRV tones. My favorite set of pickups is the Duncan Antiquities with a hot bridge pickup... I had literally been playing that set for a year before I knew it had a hot bridge pickup. It doesn't sound hot or aggressive, it just sounds a bit less brittle.

So it's all good. I just meant that in terms of GFS strat pickups, I can't comment on any of their hot/overwound/Texas sets because I'd never bought or played any of them.

:lol:

• Members

For sure... but when I want something to really be aggressive, I usually go for P90s or a humbucker.

And in the interest of full disclosure, with strats, hotter pickups don't always mean SRV tones. My favorite set of pickups is the Duncan Antiquities with a hot bridge pickup... I had literally been playing that set for a year before I knew it had a hot bridge pickup. It doesn't sound hot or aggressive, it just sounds a bit less brittle.

So it's all good. I just meant that in terms of GFS strat pickups, I can't comment on any of their hot/overwound/Texas sets because I'd never bought or played any of them.

:lol:

That's one of the reasons I'm asking, to some "Texas" = SRV. Which, I'll be adult and admit, is kind of what I'm going for. But you're right, the bridge pick up is a good bit hotter than the Fender Texas Specials, which are supposedly based on Number One's overwound vintage pickups.

I guess I'm really more interested in GFS's quality in general, since their prices are so much lower than the major and boutique pickup makers. Especially the hand wired pickguards, I'm not mechanically inclined, but I think I could manage wiring one up to the input jack.

Archived