80s Sears Catalog Scans

King Loudness

• Members

Did the "EVH" have a floyd type trem and a single coil?I can't remember

My buddy's Sears EVH wasn't a Cort, I don't believe, but he also had a Cort Superstrat that he got from either Sears or JC Penny. It had EMG Select pickups (HSS) and three mini toggle switches.

From what I can remember, the EVH wasn't really a Strat knock off. It seems like the shape was a little off, and it was nowhere near as thick as a strat (think 60's Teisco thickness). I'm pretty sure his had a vintage style six screw trem and one single coil that was about 1/2 way between the bridge position and the middle position.

It's been at least 15 years since I've seen the guitar in question though, so I could be wrong.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Gotta love the $100 Prince-style knockoff tele. Even the crap post-lawsuit Hohners are going for 10 times that much now.

The irony is, he got it because it played well and he could play the heck out

of it. I bet he's got 20 just like it at home because at one point he's the only

guy who cared about them.

• Members

great thread. yeah, i still have a Sears Flying V from '81-ish. It was a tobacco burst in the catalog. later in the 80's i spray painted it da-glo pink and blue, however. good times.

my friend had the white explorer-shaped guitar with the built in effects. those effects sounded ridiculous but we were just kids and thought they were awesome back then.
haha.

• Members

RaVenCAD!! I had the Striped one!! IT played well and sounded distorted. My neighbor and I snaded it down and repainted it. We cut the head stock up a bit and added the EVH Red/Blue/Yellow electric tape.

I can't even remember what I did with it.

1983:

231091073_949a90068e_o.jpg

• Members

That V looks pretty decent compared to some of the others. Late 80s is after I had realized that a sears guitar was crap. Back in like 79 and 80 I drooled over the les paul copies that had the contoured body and everything. If you didn't get the really kick ass one, all they had were "Global" guitars. I knew a kid with one and his brother had the matching bass. 3/4" thick body. Maybe 1".

• Members

Those guitars look like they came from a Soviet-era instrument factory. :freak:

This is definitely a nostalgia trip...I remember looking through those wishbooks and drooling over all the stuff we couldn't afford. My first ever guitar was a little Sears acoustic which I beat the crap out of...I don't think I ever actually played a note on it.

• Members
More from that same place (1983 catalog):

SearsWishbook-1983-P427.jpg

look at that control plate
:p

Oh My God! I had that one 169. "wired for sound" LP with all the effects built in. I didn't remember that I bought it from Sears, I did remember buying it from one of those dept. store catalogs (I was thinking JC Pennys).
Don't ask me anything about it, how it played or how the effects sounded, it was too long ago, but I definitely remember having bought one of those back then.

The best catalog buy was the amp I bought from Montgomery Wards. A 100 watt amp, I peeled the Montgomery Ward label off it one day and found out it was a Marlboro amp, which at the time, was a good brand. When I traded it in, I got three times what I paid for it as a Mont. Wards amp.

• Members

I have that black Effector (explorer style) with the chipboard case. It's made by Cort.

I got it this year from Music Go Round in excellent shape. Most of the effects don't work so I have it disassembled and will fix it someday. The effects in them sound horrible.

It's quite a good guitar for being a cheapy. Plays and sounds great. I shoulda bought one back when I was looking at them and had it in my hands at Sears, 20 years ago!

EFF4.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Members

My very first guitar was a Harmony strat from Sears. $99 and it came with a little amp and cord, just plug in and rawk! I wish I would have kept it, would be cool to still have the very first guitar I owned, even if it was POS. Traded it in for a new Kramer 300ST which I think was around $600-650 back around '88.

Archived