Any Yamaha SG owners?

Knottyhed

• Members

Reading Gas Man's SPAM listing, I guess the SG700S does have coil splitting. Or is it only the SG700S and not SG700?

Anyway, his looks really nice, but the green isn't doing anything for me. If it was any color, I would be on that like white on rice.

• Members

2000s06.jpg

The SG2000 with the three piece plain maple top is the real thing for me. Yamaha had this three piece cap as part of a very well thought of design. I think the center piece's grain runs differently than the others. Now they make them two piece top because the buying public doesn't understand the concept and think it's just a way to use up bits of wood lying around. As if Yamaha didn't have enough top grade tone wood for its top models...:freak:

• Members

I owned one. Sold it 4 years ago, and man do I regret it. It was tobacco sunburst, in perfect condition, and played like butter, sounded pretty awsome. It was a little heavy, but I did not mind. I would love to have another some day. Yamaha Sg, as well as an old Ibanez artist.

• Members

Any Yamaha SG owners also own or have played the Hamer USA flattop Specials or Customs with dual HB's and can comment on which they preferred?

They are roughly in the same price range:

Yamaha SG1000 = Hamer Special or Special FM

Yamaha SG2000 = Hamer Custom

I'm thinking about getting one as my one high-end guitar purchase and wanted some feedback. I'm looking for the Les Paul sound but LP's are a dime a dozen and I would like the doublecut access and look. I thought about the Gibson SG but ruled it out for now.

I probably will not get the chance to play one before buying. It sounds from all the enthusiastic owners that I can't go wrong with either.

I also posted this to the Hamer crowd. Let's see who's more vocal about their selection.:D

Thanks in advance for any comparison info you might send.

• Members

here's my SG2000

I removed the cheap-looking sunburst (relax, all done without powertools, and very very carefully) and had a luthier in Vienna apply an slightly stained oil finish.

the stock pickups were awful, so I replaced them with Dimarzios (Paf Pro and Fred), then Duesenbergs (Domino P90 in the neck position and a Grand Vintage Humbucker in the brigde) which sounded almost there... almost.

now its GFS Nashville Retrotrons - sounds perfect! no splits or other nonsense, just good Humbuckerage. although I might have it rewired, so the bridge PU will go directly to the jack - no vol or tone pots.

Sperzel locking tuners

bone nut

Duesenberg hardware (TOM)

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Post your pics

I have a very early Yamaha SG 2000 serial 001404 cherry

and I desperately need a new bridge I've been trying to get a roller type, but I cannot fine one anywhere

Millions of LP roller tune-o-matics where the post spacings are 73.5mm I need a roller tune-o-matic with 76mm post centres...I'm breaking strings left and right not only top E's but low E's and everything in between...

Also can anyone recommend a good neck pickup to achieve amazing sustain..

• Members

Contact Yamaha directly, using the link/telephone number for whatever country you're in.

I got a very quick response on a new set of pickup rings for my '79 SG2000, from Yamaha UK.

Not sure what the problem is with your neck pickup. The sustain on the neck pickup of my SG2000 is outstanding.

It sounds like it maybe needs a good pro setup?

• Members

Holy old thread resurrection. I didn't realize how much of a nag I was back then.

I did wind up with a SBG1200 though. And it has coil splits.

CIMG0974.jpg

I'm happy with the stock pups. Never thought of replacing them, even once.

• Members

I wish I had one but the old ones are hard to find and the new ones are too expensive
:(
Maybe First Act will make a version of Matt Pike's guitar to sell to the public. That would be pretty cool.

artist_main_pike001.jpg

What is that guitar? I vaguely remember seeing something like that (I think from a vid RockNote posted back then).

• Members

What is that guitar? I vaguely remember seeing something like that (I think from a vid RockNote posted back then).

Yes, you recall correctly. :thu: I had it confused with the real thing, so to speak. In my defence, the music was so abhorrent as to scatter my wits about. :)

• Members

Yes, you recall correctly.
:thu:
I had it confused with the real thing, so to speak. In my defence, the music was so abhorrent as to scatter my wits about.
:)

:lol: Yes, now I remember also the sound of it. :freak: The way it sounded, it could have been anything with two horns... including the devil itself.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

the SG2000 was always a wonderful guitar. Along side the Ibanez AR Artist Series (300, 500 and 5000) they were the best humbucking guitars of the late 70's to mid 80's. My Bro owned a SG2000 while I owned this 1981 Ibanez AR500 Artist (active PUs) pictured.

Ar500_003web.jpg

four.jpg

• Members

the SG2000 was always a wonderful guitar. Along side the Ibanez AR Artist Series (300, 500 and 5000) they were the best humbucking guitars of the late 70's to mid 80's. My Bro owned a SG2000 while I owned this 1981 Ibanez AR500 Artist (active PUs) pictured.

Ar500_003web.jpg

four.jpg

That's been on my wishlist for some time.....gorgeous!

• 4 years later...

Archived