Any Yamaha SG owners?

Knottyhed

• Members

Originally posted by Jkater

What is a SBG200? Did you mean 2000? If you don't play the damn thing, there are legions of players lining up to buy it from you.

Nope, it is a 200, probably the bottom of the SGB food chain. Same SG/Paul shape, set neck, two buckers, but nothing fancy.

It's a nice guitar, I just don't play it very much. Maybe I should!

• Members

Originally posted by StudioLord

No worries, anyway... how is your search for an SG2000 going on? Any news re. Thomann?

I pre-ordered one a couple of months back before they could give me a price, so obviously I am not obliged to buy. I am still waiting for it (and the price). Meanwhile I am exploring alternatives, such as the Framus AK1974, which looks very appealing too. I first came across it in a recent Rick Emmet thread here on HC.

I have just PM'ed the forumite who offered to do the recording of the two - it was quite a while back. I'll notify him of this thread if he has it ready to hand.

• Members

I'm an owner. I posted this in the "sg article" thread, but what the hell;

SGfront4.jpg

SGfull.jpg

Miine is a low serial # '76 I bought in early '77, beat to hell and back, modded (shaved neck, refret, seymores etc). Plays like a dream and weighs more than a boat anchor.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

Resurrecting an old thread...

For the guys who have played them, how useful are the SG coil taps? Did you find yourself using them often? Neck or bridge? And what sort of tones do you get in the SC mode?

I read the old Vintage Guitar article but I'm still confused about what SG models below the SG/SBG1000 have the coil tap.

There seems to be conflicting posts from various people as to whether the 800's, 700's, etc have the coil tap.

Finally, any thoughts in comparing a SG1000 vs LP double cut vs Gibby SG? They are roughly in the same price range and offer high fret access but are they completely different animals?

• Members

Finally, any thoughts in comparing a SG1000 vs LP double cut vs Gibby SG? They are roughly in the same price range and offer high fret access but are they completely different animals?

All I know is the Yamaha "SG" is a Les Paul type instrument, so quite different from a Gibson SG.

Archived