Just got a Gibson MIII

uberthrall

• Members

I've owned between 250 to 300 guitars over the years, and have long considered these to be my alltime favorites. I had to sell the first one I had 12 years ago when our first son was on the way.......always regretted it too. I've been looking to replace it for a long time, but they hardly ever pop up.

gibsonmiii004jg4.jpg

gibsonmiii006eg3.jpg

gibsonmiii007ce0.jpg

gibsonmiii010ap8.jpg

If I had to compare these with anything else as far as playability and feel, I'd say it's probably most like the highend US made Hamers from back in the day...Chapparals,Scepters...etc. They have a very unique wiring scheme as well. The mini toggle kicks in a second set of pickup sounds...positions 1 through 4 are splitcoil variants, while position 5 is a killswitch.

• Members

I'd like one of those. Epiphone currently offers the MIII body shape, but the originals are obviously a lot nicer.

Have you played an epi EM-1?

Those are the bare-bones ones, and they're great.

MF blew 'em out for 15, sam ash sells em at 179.

Endless fret access, alder body for plywood bucks, really, for the price you could build a copy of taht gibby easily.

• Members

You're damn lucky you saw it before I did! Congrats!
:thu:

You know, I'm surprised more people didn't see it. It was on fleabay for a few days with an opening bid of $600. I backdoored it for $770 shipped......by Fedex Overnight no less!!

As for the Epi vs Gibson MIII's, I remember the Epi version from back in the day, and they were nowhere near the Gibbys. Call me crazy, but I'm willing to bet it's the same story with the new ones too.

Archived