Effects loop or not?

Guitar_Dan

• Members

You'll probably want to experiment.

But if you are planning on getting using the amp sims on the Pod, I would run it unto the Mesa's Effects Loop Return (or Line In or whatever they call it). This skips the Mesa preamp completely, so the mesa is only being used as a power amp.

• Members

But if you are planning on getting using the amp sims on the Pod, I would run it unto the Mesa's Effects Loop Return (or Line In or whatever they call it). This skips the Mesa preamp completely, so the mesa is only being used as a power amp.

Thanks for that.

So once its plugged into the loop return, what settings are still available on the amp? ie volume, bass, mids etc? and what channel will the amp need to be on? Sorry, I've no experience with this whatsoever.

• Members

Thanks for that.

So once its plugged into the loop return, what settings are still available on the amp? ie volume, bass, mids etc? and what channel will the amp need to be on? Sorry, I've no experience with this whatsoever.

None. Except maybe the master volume.

You are totally bypassing the preamp channels and plugging it right before the Phase Inverter.

Guitar amps, are heavily filtered, they are all voiced to emphasize the tonal range of the electric guitar. They really reshape the tone. So if you run a amp model into a guitar amp preamp, it tends to get all funky.

• Members

Check out the so called 4 cable method of setting up with an effects loop. May be helpful if you can do it with the Pod...

Google once again is your friend.

I thought I read somewhere that the HD300 and 400 don't have the proper connections for the 4 cable method. I may be wrong on that.

If they DO, that's what I'd do.

• Members

im pretty sure the only way to truly bypass the amps pre-amp circut is if you plugged your guitar into your pedal, and then ran the output of the pedal into the return of the effects loop. That also can bypass some of your amps front controls, like the volume, meaning that your level setting on the pedal may control volume, you have to experiment, not all amps work like that so...If you plug your guitar into the front of the amp and just run the pedal through the loop, I believe your signal will still be colored by your amps pre-amp.

• Members

....he already said what i just said, thats what i get for not reading all of the posts carefully....sorry:)

• Members

With the HD400 and the Tonelab, I experimented quite a bit and have always found the best results from running the unit directly into the FX return. It always seems to give a more direct, 'connected' feeling. The drawback is that you lose the amp's preamp section.

• Members

I plug my HD400 in the return input of the FXreturn of my amp and it works as good as I had hoped. All the controls you'd find in your amp (tone control, etc) are bypassed so you control those from the HD300. Very important: on the PODHD, go to set-up editing (press the preset button to access)and from there you can optimise the output for that amp setting. You can experiment but logically, you'd pick "comboamp" and also you'll want to put the little switches at the back to "live" and "amp". check out the advanced guide.

A question to all: what's this "four cable connection" thing? the HD400 has an effect loop, can it be use for that? (google didn't help).

• Members

I plug my HD400 in the return input of the FXreturn of my amp and it works as good as I had hoped. All the controls you'd find in your amp (tone control, etc) are bypassed so you control those from the HD300.
Very important:
on the PODHD, go to set-up editing (press the preset button to access)and from there you can optimise the output for that amp setting. You can experiment but logically, you'd pick "comboamp" and also you'll want to put the little switches at the back to "live" and "amp". check out the advanced guide.

A question to all: what's this "four cable connection" thing? the HD400 has an effect loop, can it be use for that? (google didn't help).

Guitar->Multi fx input-(multi fx send)->amp input-(amp send)->multi fx return-(multi fx output)->amp return

Hope that makes sense as written.

found a pic...

diagram.jpg

Archived