$1100 Burning A Hole In My Pocket...

fu2jobu

• Members

For the past few years I have perodically emptied out the $1's in my wallet into a box. Finally cashed them in for some crisp 100's, 11 of them to be exact. So I figured it was time I finally purchased a Gibson LP (Studio) since I have wanted one for oh 20 years or so now. Since I plan to maybe have it refinished in some distant future I figure I will go with the faded model as it has the lowest price point. Stop by my local store (not GC) and not a single faded in stock. Hmmmm, had them check their other stores in the area and still no faded LP's in stock :facepalm:

They have 2 on order but can't guess at when they might come in. Bummer, guess that means I make the trip to Guitar Center tomorrow. On a happy note I did finally get a balanced XLR to 1/4" for my mixer so I can hear things in stereo again. That leaves $1083 still burning that hole in my pocket.

Oh yeah, they had a Silver Raw Power LP that almost gave me a stiffy. Definately would have given it a try but can't stand an LP without full inlays (this was dots except the 12th fret had a trap inlay). Also the Raw Powers have the lighter fretboard so all the frets blended in so you couldn't even see them until you were right on top of them. :evil:

• Members

Do not spend that money on anything less than the guitar you've been saving for. Use eBay or a trusted online retailer if you must.

I hear ya, sorta...

I'm already "settling" for less than I want. What I really want is a Gibson LP with full trap inlays, binding and a finish that I like. However, I'm not willing to pay the $2000+ for it (or $1600+ used). I would have gone for one of the 50's Goldtops but they sold out quick and I bought the Epi version a few months before they came out with the Gibson version :facepalm:

I easily have the money but can't see myself spending that much on a guitar at this point. I would be too worried it would get stolen at a gig (and i haven't gigged in years).

• Members

Looks like you could get a Gibson Les Paul Traditional for $1400-1500 without too much trouble. If that's what you really want - the inlays and binding - then sell some gear to raise the extra three or four Benjamins and get exactly what you want. Buying a Studio with the intent of upgrading it into a faux Standard doesn't make much sense to me.

• Members

Have you thought about something like a Warmoth? Even if you got someone to put the parts in it for you, you would have one beautiful custom guitar!

Yeah but it wouldn't say Gibson on it. I'm not a Gibson snob but growing up my idols played them so I have always wanted one. I just thank god I grew out of my Clown Burst phase before I decided to pursue buying the Gibby LP. I wish I had bought one back when they were reasonably priced but would probably be regretting it now since I woulda chose the Clown Burst.

• Members

Looks like you could get a Gibson Les Paul Traditional for $1400-1500 without too much trouble. If that's what you really want - the inlays and binding - then sell some gear to raise the extra three or four Benjamins and get exactly what you want. Buying a Studio with the intent of upgrading it into a faux Standard doesn't make much sense to me.

$1400 is still more than I'm willing to pay for one guitar. I do have gear to trade in or I could easily chip in another $1000. However, I still don't want to be walking around with a $1400 guitar that could grow legs and walk off. I also want to be able to play the guitar before I buy it which limits my choices (gave up on Craigs List a while ago which leaves me with my local Guitar Centers).

If/When I have the guitar refinished I don't have plans to turn it into a faux version of a standard. It would be a completely custom scheme. That's why the faded makes the most sense to me at this point. I don't mind the looks if it has the Trap inlays. Would prefer binding but it's not a deal breaker considering the huge price difference.

• Members

Yeah but it wouldn't say Gibson on it. I'm not a Gibson snob but growing up my idols played them so I have always wanted one. I just thank god I grew out of my Clown Burst phase before I decided to pursue buying the Gibby LP. I wish I had bought one back when they were reasonably priced but would probably be regretting it now since I woulda chose the Clown Burst.

But you would have a better guitar and I can get you a Gibsun label for $3.00.:)

• Members

$1400 is still more than I'm willing to pay for one guitar. I do have gear to trade in or I could easily chip in another $1000. However, I still don't want to be walking around with a $1400 guitar that could grow legs and walk off.
I also want to be able to play the guitar before I buy it which limits my choices (gave up on Craigs List a while ago which leaves me with my local Guitar Centers)

If/When I have the guitar refinished I don't have plans to turn it into a faux version of a standard. It would be a completely custom scheme. That's why the faded makes the most sense to me at this point. I don't mind the looks if it has the Trap inlays. Would prefer binding but it's not a deal breaker considering the huge price difference.

That's actually a pretty fair criticism. You can't always guarantee a good chunk of wood, even in a Les Paul Standard, and it's even harder when you're shopping on a limited budget. On the other hand, there are tons of LP Studios to choose from in your price range (and I completely forgot that non-Faded Studios come with blocks). Play a bunch of those, pick a good one and go nuts.

• Members

Check out some of the MIJ brands that make copies of Les Pauls. Burny, Greco, Tokai, Orville, Edwards, etc. They're absolutely phenomenal, and can be had for tons cheaper than Gibsons. I just bought a Burny Les Paul custom for $800, and that's within your price range. Don't settle! I think you'll be much more satisfied with something like this than you would be with a Gibson LP Studio.

EDIT: Whoops, just saw the part in your post where you said you wanted to try it in person no matter what. Yeah, that'll certainly be pretty difficult. :(

• Members

EDIT: Whoops, just saw the part in your post where you said you wanted to try it in person no matter what. Yeah, that'll certainly be pretty difficult.
:(

What would make it even more difficult is the fact that I want the headstock to have Gibson on it. It's one of those "fullfilling a life long dream" things. There is still plenty of time for other brands in my future though.

• Members

Would you consider selling your epi, to get more funds? I wouldn't part exchange it though, you wont even get half the value of your epi off of your dream gibby.

Already plan to trade one of my Epi's (not the Goldtop) in on the Gibby. It's not the price after trade-ins, extra funds etc. I set a limit on the max sticker price I am willing to pay for the guitar and am sticking to it.

• Members

I wish I had bought one back when they were reasonably priced but would probably be regretting it now since I woulda chose the Clown Burst.

If you would've bought a Clown Burst "back then" (I use quotes, because I don't know when your idea of "back then" was - especially because Standards were always priced at a premium and rarely considered "reasonable"), it certainly would've aged by now.

• Members

Have you noticed the economy sucks right now? I know a new toy would be satisfying but definitely buy used or your going to get hosed if you decide later that you don't like it. Better yet start a savings account. I know that's not the PC thing to say around here but :idk:

• Members

Have you noticed the economy sucks right now? I know a new toy would be satisfying but definitely buy used or your going to get hosed if you decide later that you don't like it. Better yet start a savings account. I know that's not the PC thing to say around here but
:idk:

:blah::blah::blah::blah::blah:

go be boring somewhere else, hahaha, jk. but seriously maybe the OP is attempting to jumpstart the economy. if more people were spending money like that we wouldnt be in this mess

• Members

Quote:

Originally Posted by fu2jobu

For the past few years I have perodically emptied out the $1's in my wallet into a box.

man, I am going to have to start doing that
:o

I started putting my change in a tin earlier this year and I already have $200.00. It's amazing how quickly it builds up.

• Members

Have you noticed the economy sucks right now? I know a new toy would be satisfying but definitely buy used or your going to get hosed if you decide later that you don't like it. Better yet start a savings account. I know that's not the PC thing to say around here but
:idk:

Good advice if I was struggling to come up with the money. Fortunately my income will increase by about 25% this year. The $720 plus tax I just spent on a faded Gibson LP isn't going to break the piggy bank. The purchase was made from $1 bills that I started thowing in a box years ago because it was annoying having them in my wallet. I didn't need to touch any of my savings. In fact I didn't even cash in all the coins I have been throwing in a big jug.

Archived