Whats better a Seymour Duncan Custom or Duncan Distortion?

lincoln40

• Members

I can only speak for the Distortion and it seemed like it was pretty adequate.

But to be honest I'd probably opt for something from Dimarzio; I've only come across a very few SD's that I thought were really impressive. The 59 is more my speed to be honest. I've always had better luck getting that kind of sound from Dimarzio.

• Members

I've played the Duncan Distortion, and I didn't like it. I guess it depends on how you get your distortion, though. If you want your pickup to overdrive your amp, then the Duncan Distortion will get you there much faster, but it'll be more difficult to get a good, detailed clean sound. If you prefer to use pedals like me (or a channel on your amp that has plenty of gain on tap), then I prefer lower-output pickups like the Alnico Pro IIs or the 59s.

• Members

I vote for the custom custom. I just played live with the CC in the bridge and Alnico II in the neck. sounded amazing! The CC had so much crunch, but tames nicely when you roll back the volume. The Alnico II really shined. Incredible Allman type tones. Great for dirty blues leads! I w as using a Mahogany body washburn Idol WI66V. Love them both for low to high gain stuff.

Archived