Gibson LP Standard vs. Duesenberg vs. White Penguin

jnick

• Members

I owned a Falcon for a few years but had to sell it to pay for school. Sounded great, played great (except upper fret access) but honestly I mostly kept it because it was absolutely gorgeous and chicks went shnuts for it. I also owned a duo jet and worked at a store which had a penguin so I know what they're about.

I wish I still had the guitar because it was the last one made like that and even worse because I sold it to a complete tool.

Also, keep in mind that the bridge does move a little bit on the penguin so you'll need to get it locked down, I used clear acoustic pickguard material to keep it in place which was removable and unnoticeable.

Both Gretsches were great but honestly if I was blind I'd probably prefer a lester. But if you adore the way the penguin looks I'd just go with that because the differences really aren't that great.

• Members

Also, keep in mind that the bridge does move a little bit on the penguin so you'll need to get it locked down, I used clear acoustic pickguard material to keep it in place which was removable and unnoticeable.

How do you mean?

I just saw another video of a black penguin with the dynasonic pickups, sounds great too...especially with a bit of distortion towards the end of the clip:

The thing is, no shop here has both versions. I have to drive really far to one that has the penguin with dynasonics and another direction to the one with humbuckers...:facepalm:

• Members

How do you mean?

I just saw another video of a black penguin with the dynasonic pickups, sounds great too...especially with a bit of distortion towards the end of the clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3X4qjuA14k

The thing is, no shop here has both versions. I have to drive really far to one that has the penguin with dynasonics and another direction to the one with humbuckers...
:facepalm:

it has a floating bridge which means that it's not drilled into the body like the les paul. a lot of people on the gretsch forum just said put heavier strings on it and don't play it so hard and it'll be fine.

so i just got a piece of clear pickguard and cut out 2 "C" shaped tabs and attached them where the bridge's intonation lined up so that the bridge wouldn't move out of place. never had a problem after that and you couldn't even see it unless you got really close

• Members

That guitar is very cool too. I very much like the style of pickguard that is sort of lifted off from the top of the guitar, as on the penguin and that LP.

Well to be honest that Les Paul is a new R9 with a Bigsby and well set up back $6K so not really realistic. But there is a company that makes a Bigsby mounting system for a Les Paul where you don't have to drill holes. You can always get a lower end Lester and do that. Or you can get the Les Paul with the Floyed Rose system YUK. ;)

• Members

I saw the recent
from the venerable
, with Plant and his Band of Joy, and Buddy Miller

1. Has some super cool eclectic taste in guitars

2. Has some great cool licks and sweet tone goin on

The night I saw him was the single best guitar show I've ever seen. The dude can play. He does it all with "another day at the office" vibe but everything he does is exactly what's called for.

I've seen Page, Knopfler, Hedges and many others live but I'd put Buddy up against any of em.

EG

• Members

I absolutely love the White Penguin, but I've personally found Gretsch guitars to always feel like plastic. When they use lacquer (and some Penguins have been released with Thin-Skin lacquer), I'll be all over them. But, based on their great looks and cheap relative prices compared to Gibson, I'll probably get one anyway. The blinged-out western Chet Atkins Jet-shape with leather trim is totally on my GAS list. Since you asked about versatility, the Duesenberg is definitely the most versatile. There's really no question about that.

Archived