looking for sleeper hollowbodies for a friend

pewing33ny

• Members

He has his little heart set on a Godin Kingpin:

http://www.amazon.com/Godin-5th-Avenue-Kingpin-6-string/dp/B001XTW1ZY

but he can't afford it. He's looking for something kind of similar but just cheaper like $300 or so, cheaper the better. He's pretty much is into aesthetics but wants to be able to plug-in (doesn't care if it just has a neck bucker) but also loud enough acoustically so he can play/sing at the same time at home. So pretty much anything halfway decent but looks cool.

We looked at artcores and I showed him the Rondo site but can't find something he likes. We saw an old harmony at guitar center which was awesome but sold the next day when we went back. If you guys have any discontinued gems or something like that old Harmony we saw it'd be appreciated

• Members

Most archtops in this price range are designed to be electric guitars (heavy laminate construction), and won't be loud at all acoustically. This would typically be the case of the Artcore. Not a bad guitar, but certainly not an acoustic guitar.

I'd look into 2nd hand Godin, Gretsch G100CE or Aria FA-50E or FA-71E. The Washburn H15 might also be within your price range.

Try before you buy. Many duds at this price point (including the Godin).

• Members

Try to find a used Washburn HB15 if you can. Definitely within your price range, and surprisingly good guitars if you find a good one. Mine has been great, but isn't getting enough play as of late. I hate to spam, but I've been thinking about selling if that interests anyone.

• Members

I picked up an acoustic 5th Avenue with case for $400 and installed a Johnny smith style mini. Works well both acoustic or plugged in. Total investment was under $500. If you could find one used for $350 or so, that's pretty good but you'd have to do some work.

In that price range probably a used artcore is you're best bet.

EG

• Members

I agree that buying used would be the best route. Check out Craigslist or your local pawnshops. A few years ago, I bought a used a MIK Washburn HB35 in natural finish with a hardcase for $249. It was my first hollowbody and it met all of my expectations and then some.

Archived