Beginner Budget Allocation

skdmrklcy

• Members

I have a friend at work that my guitar antics have not got him intrested in starting to play as well.

He is looking to spend about 1k total and wanted to know what % he should allocate for amp vs guitar. We are going to go out sometime and check out some stuff, but figured I would ask here, I can't bring myself to actually trust most sales people until I know them.

I found a lot of sales people told me that a $100 Mustang I was fine, though I hated the digital computer crap, give me knobs! Others say its 50% of sound so 50% of budget. Others seem to think any under 1k amp is no good so you are wasting time.

I was suggesting the truth is maybe in the middle but wasn't sure.

So would you get a nicer guitar and cheap amp. An ok amp and guitar, or what?

• Members

That's a LOT of money for a beginner. If it's someone who KNOWS they want to play guitar, that's one thing, but for someone who's just kind of testing the waters, a slightly used guitar-and-amp set (all day on Craigslist for under $150) is a good buy.

I love the Mustang for a beginner, budget, or bedroom amp, although the need to hook it up to a computer can be off-putting.

But if you gave me $1000 and said "buy a bunch of stuff", here's where I'd spend it:

$400 for an electric guitar (Squier CV Strat or Tele, Epiphone LP or SG)

$300 for an acoustic guitar (anything with solid spruce top and rosewood or mahogany back/sides)

$100 for an amp (Fender Mustang, best sound and value)

$200 in accessories (two gig bags, two stands, strings, capo, picks, tuner, etc)

My personal rig and what I paid:

Ibanez ART100 - $210

Tacoma DR20E (Martin D28 copy made in USA) - $325

Fender Mustang I - $100

Bags/stands/strings/picks/etc ~ $200 (including hardshell case for the acoustic)

• Members

I'd hit a couple of guitar stores with him just to learn what style of guitar he prefers... LP, Strat, Tele, Semihollow.

After that, I'd probably try to suggest a guitar in the $400 to $500 range. There are a lot of nice instruments in that price range no matter which style he ends up preferring and good enough so they won't hamper his ability to learn any time soon. He'll need a good tuner, a few packs of strings in different gauges, a stand, a few leads, a hand full of picks and probably a strap. Might need a hardshell case for it too.

A few lesson books or DVDs would be nice, with chord diagrams and basic scales. I'd recommend spending the other $400 on a nice solid state amp. Wouldn't really recommend a tube amp for a beginner. I think a good modeler would be a smart choice so he can start messing around with a few effects but he should have enough power to be able to jam with you and other friends after a while.

He'll still have a hundred bucks left in his wallet at the end of the day so he can take me out for pizza and beer.

• Members

Used LP studio, Peavey Classic 30???

That sounds like a great package for $1000. Plus, both are nice enough that if he really likes learning/playing guitar they will carry him through for years (possibly ever, so long as he doesn't frequent HCEG) and if he doesn't, he can get his money back out of it (or at least a large portion).

• Members

Thoughts from the beginner side here

1) I'd second the couple folks out there who said to get a modeler, or some kind of modeling amp. Give him some help to set up a couple of good presets and let him switch between them until he learns more. Yeah, I know they aren't as good as a real tube amp, but at this point he probably has very little idea of what he wants to sound like and the incredible range of options he can explore makes a difference. Learning something like Floyd's Run Like Hell is a lot more fun when you can sound like Gilmore.

2) Don't bother with books or DVDs unless he has no access to a computer- internet resources are just better. Check out justinguitar.com for a really nice set of beginner tutorials to start him off.

3) Budget at least $100 for accessories. Stand, bag, cable, metronome, capo, picks and a couple of sets of strings and you're already there. (Tuner's in the modeler) I know all you experienced folks already have all that laying around but those of us with nothing have to get it all.

4) Budget for a decent setup as well unless it comes with the guitar. (Don't know if you're buying online or local) Either that or show him how it's done- don't assume he even knows how to change strings- it took me two hours to do it the first time since I inadvertently switched gauges and had to do a setup myself.

Still, I wish I'd had that kind of budget starting out- good luck

• Members

my humble two cents; find a decently priced used guitar with a recognizable brand name (only so he can resell it for good return if he either doesn't take to it, or outgrows it later on) and invest in a set up by a reputable luthier.

bad guitars don't kill noobs; bad set ups kill noobs.

as far as an amp goes - again, go used and find a nice sounding solid state amp (explore tubes later if the guy sticks with it); for example, a used Line6 Flextone 1x12" combo would last him years and years, and can be found for dirt cheap.

• Members

My advice would be to get a cheap modeling amp and a reasonably nice used guitar for $300 - $600. I'd probably stick with the big companies for the guitar to maximize resale should he decide he wants something completely different on down the road... sell it for a minimal loss and get something else he likes more. I'd get a small-ish, light weight modeler because even if he gets a Twin or a DSL50 half stack later on, you can always get use out of a true practice amp.

As for specifics, if I were making suggestions to a friend, unless I could find a used Vox VT series amp or a Super Champ XD for $200, I'd suggest either the Mustang I or II. And for a guitar, I'd suggest a used H/S/S Fender MIM Standard or possibly an Ibanez that he likes the looks of. Again, as long as he thinks it looks good and it feels half way decent, he's probably on the right track.

• Members

Was a time I'd say the opposite, but now I'd say you could spend up to 80% on the guitar. There are some decent amps out there these days for a couple Benjamins.

But it really depends upon which would he rather be willing to upgrade in the future. An $800 guitar could be a life long keeper, but a $200 amp would be more than adequate for home play, but eventually the player would want something a bit more "bona fide".

But whether you're talking about the Mustang or entry level Vox or Roland amps, there's a lot of decent stuff out there these days that is inexpensive. Years ago I would have sad, 35% guitar and 65% amp since the amp is the end of the chain.

Of course, more toward amp if he's planning on gigging, more towards guitar if it will be for home hobby, at least at first.

• Members

This is just going to be a home hobby as far as he is thinking now. We may goof off together or a few other people we know but no one is a drummer or anything.

I will let him know he is okay going that route if that is what he wants to do which I think it is at this point.

How are Dean guitars? I only ask as I don't hear much about them, but a local shop sells mostly Dean and they love them.

• Members

I suggest checking close out deals, like this for example:

Has the Seymour Duncan P-Rail pickups, set neck, Grover tuners, Earvana nut, and comes with an ESP hardshell case. Goldtop or white.

$370 - 5% (Coupon Code REPEAT90) = $352 Shipped

Lowest price on-line is $500 without case.

http://www.worldmusicsupply.com/Esp-Ltd-PB401-Electric-Guitar.html

_1291456590.jpg

_1291456627.jpg

It's helluva guitar for $350.

Then maybe a Vox Valvetronix for about $300.

Accessories $100.

All set. :thu:

• Members

I suggest checking close out deals, like this for example:

It's helluva guitar for $350.

Then maybe a Vox Valvetronix for about $300.

Accessories $100.

All set.
:thu:

Yeah, that indeed is one tempting guitar deal. For someone starting off on guitar, it's never a bad of an idea to start of with a helluva deal on a blow out. The pickups alone on that guitar are worth around $200.

But before I'd go Dean, I'd look at a Gibson Faded SG or Faded Les Paul.

• Members

I like some of the Korean Deans... the LP types with the skinny waist. But I personally wouldn't buy one brand new as they are pretty terrible resale value. I'm really a bargain guy and while it's a very decent guitar for the money, you can't beat used guitars for value.

:idk:

I might ask that shop if they have one that has a little ding or cosmetic issues and see if they'd knock off ~40%. But new Deans are about the same cost as a used Gibson.

• Members

If it was my friend, I'd suggest buying a non-trem Squier HH Bullet Strat for the guitar (less than $100 right now)... great guitar for the money, easy to play, easy to mod if wanted.

The Fender Mustang 1 amp would be great too ($100)... lots of tones, effects, loud when needed (headphone compatible too), light weight.

He'll also need a decent leather strap, a guitar stand and digital tuner (maybe $50 total). Leave the remaining $750 in the bank.

Then have him sign up for some lessons. If he sticks with it, he's got very decent gear to learn on; if he doesn't stick with it, he won't get hurt too badly when he sells his gear.

• Members

Mostly Hard Rock maybe some light rock and some jazz.

I did see what I assume is a used Gibson Faded Explorer that peaked my interest, I had not seen one before. It was in great shape, I thought it was new till I got home and tried to look one up and found they are no longer made. Not sure if it would be good for him or not but it was neat.

Thanks for all the tips, I know you would come though!

• Members

Some really good suggestions so far. Of course he doesn't need to spend that much to start out, but it doesn't hurt either. Used would be my choice. Definitely set some $ aside for a set-up and accessories. Depending on what his tastes are, there are so many choices for guitars. I would probably recommend either an MIJ or higher end MIM Fender, low end Gibson (special/faded) or higher end Epi (elitist/sig/reissue) somewhere in the $500 range. Then, either a modelling amp like the aforementioned Line6 or maybe a Vox VT, or if he wanted to get right into the realm of tube amps, maybe a Blues Jr. Or a Classic 30.

• Members

I did see what I assume is a used Gibson Faded Explorer that peaked my interest, I had not seen one before. It was in great shape, I thought it was new till I got home and tried to look one up and found they are no longer made. Not sure if it would be good for him or not but it was neat.

Great guitar!

• Members

You can run a POD into a computer for recording or low volume playback... or into headphones for VERY low volume playback.

You can also run one into a PA so you don't have to lug around an amp or you can run it into the front or the FX loop of an amp so you have a bit more control over your sound.

A lot of times, PODs (and Pandoras, and Tonelabs etc...) are great for beginners, esp kids as they don't annoy parents and roommates when the new player is just beginning.

Archived