Burstbuckers v 57 Classics v Seth Lovers

Ratae Corieltauvorum

• Moderators

I'm interested in hearing from users of the above, particularly those of you who have used all three.

We're not talking BB Pros here, but the Alnico II based models with no wax pottings.

I'm guessing the BB 1+2 set would be pretty close to a Seth Lover set, with Al II and no wax, but the 57 Classics are Al II with wax, so while to all intents they should all be in the same ballpark, but peoples experiences of BBs seem to differ from 57 Classics.

The difference between BBs and 57s is explained a the difference in bias on windings between the two coils, with the 57s having equal winds on each coil while the BBs have asymmetric windings

Lets hear you takes on these.

I use a set of SLs in my Burny and love em, but I'd like a tad more treble, so it maybe that I have to go with some unpotted Al Vs....not sure.

• Members

I have a set of SLs but have never installed them in anything yet.

But in comparing my guitars with 57s vs the BB1&2 combo, I find the BB 1 & 2 combo to be warmer/softer and also more complex in their tone. Like a vocal harmony of two slightly different coil windings. I find the 57s to be a sharper bright sound. Could of course be the guitars. The BB3 OTOH is more of a monster to wrangle. It sounds more like a cranked up 57, maybe more like a 57+.

Let me see, where's that chart - :lem:

pickups_output-chart.jpg

• Members

What shocked me was that the Burstbuckers' SRP was $170 each, while the Antiquitites were $155. Sure, few people pay MSRP at the retail level, but the fact that the hand-wound and signed by Seymour Duncan Antiquites are cheaper than the Gibson Burstbuckers tells me which company gives me more bang for buck.

• Members

I've had a BB 1,2 set and now Seth Lovers. Have played but not owned 57s.

To me, the BBs are more one dimensional with a lot of honk. They sound really good, but I don't find they have a lot of range. The 57s and Seth Lovers are pretty colse but I give the edge to the SLs. They have a lot of complexity and respond well to knob fiddling, pick use and technique changes. They don't do HIGH gain as well as the BBs do, but for all around, I find the SLs to be the clearest, most articulate of the bunch. You can really get a lot of sounds out of them. The honk is still there, but a lot less pronounced. I can get anywhere from a nice twang when played back near the bridge to a very full, lush wall when played up on the neck. My favorites.

EG

• Members

I have 57 Classics and Seth Lovers and I have plenty of hours in playing the BB1/2 combo.

I absolute love all of them. Within the realm of many HB users, they are interchangeably similar but among low ouput, PAAF-ish HBs, they certainly have differences.

For bridge pickups, I'd say the 57 Classic is the smoothest and the BB 2 the most aggressive and the Seth Lover is inbetween slightly closer to the 57, but the Seth sounds more complex to my ears. Of the three, the Seth Lover is DEFINITELY the one I'd want if I were going to play clean on the bridge pickup only.

For the neck pickups, the 57 is the smoothest for sure, but all of them are pretty subdued. I love my 57 and Seth Lover, but I think I'd vote for the BB1 as my favorite. It's simply more complex sounding. These differences are small, and probably even more so with much gain, but running either of them clean into a Twin just noodling around on jazzy stuff or slower, mellow blues... the BB1 has a great complexity to it.

On the other hand, the 57s are the only one that's potted stock. I've seen a few Seth Lovers that were potted. Not sure if that was done aftermarket or if they offer that through their Custom Shop and I don't know how much of a difference that makes as I don't play with much gain usually.

That's my take... I love all of them. I've never owned the Duncan Antiquities full size HBs but I've briefly played a Tele with them. And the Antiquities strat pickups are my absolutely favorite set so sort of extrapolating from there, I'd put the Antiquities in running with the others as well.

I'm looking for that perfect LP Classic Plus in amber or butterscotch and green inlays. When I find it, I'm 99% certain I'll put a Seth Lover in the bridge and a BB1 in the neck.

• Members

FWIW, I had 57's in my Edwards LP and loved them. They gave the Edwards that perfect Les Paul sound IMO.

The Gibson Axcess I had came with the BB1 & 2 combo and I despised them. They sounded overly bright, thin, and harsh. Completely lacking in mids. I replaced them with a 490/498 set and it then sounded like a "proper" Les Paul. A Les Paul needs strong mids IMO.

I had the Seth's in an Epi Sheraton II and they sounded excellent in it. They were a little clearer and less "gritty" than the 57's but still had a full, round tone.

The next LP I get will most likely get 490/498's or 57's. I know what they can do and I like what that is. The Seth's are very good but I'm not big on Duncan pups. They always seem to be lacking in something. The 57 and 498 are two pups that I'm always happy with.

• Moderators

Some great responses guys and much appreciated.

My first stop for my new Greco will be a set of Al V Golden Age Parsons Streets, just to try them, as theoretically they should be like slightly more substantial SLs with a tad more jangle.

I will try and pick up a set of 57 Classics as they do sound very up my street but Bozbanks doesn't do any sales lately, so if anybody has a set I'd appreciate a heads up, but I'll still have to try the BB1/2 combo to see how I get on with them.

My Burny will retain the SLs, my Greco LP Custom will get the Parsons Streets and I've got a LP 59 build on the go and they'll want something very classic so either the 57s or BBs, I'll try both and see how I feel

Cheers guys

Archived