N(unwanted)GD.

jumpwin

• Members

Just taken hold of this guitar. From what I can tell a 1971 Fender Telecaster (lefty). It's in no way showroom condition. Someone in it's life has routed it for a bridge humbucker, though it's been replaced with a 3 saddle fender bridge plate, the routing is visable around the plate. I looks like it's been sanded, no way on earth is that natural wear! It plays pretty damn superbly, and sounds awesome, which surprised me. But I don't want it! I got 3 telecasters, and prefer the modern USA ones to this. If I were to stick up for sale what would be reasonable asking price given it's condition?

DSCF2113.jpg

DSCF2105.jpg

DSCF2098.jpg

DSCF2101.jpg

DSCF2111.jpg

DSCF2114.jpg

• Members

Those 4-bolt CBS Fenders were still very good guitars. In that condition it's hard to determine value - personally I think it needs major work to be presentable, but there are people on eBay who go completely crazy for just this kind of thing. If it were mine, I'd either part it out or list it for maybe $1500 with no BIN and just see where the bidders go with it.

• Members

I like to give you a number but that is a unique guitar for more than one reason.

What did you pay for it? I am sure you got a deal. Chuck it on the bay and put the starting price above what you paid and see how you go. Some people pay good money for these things.

• Members

can you just turn it upside down, string it backwards and play it righty?

I mean, I know you can, hendrix did something like that (opposite of course) but I was curious if it presented any challenges.

Worst upper fret access in the history of electric guitars?

• Members

Worst upper fret access in the history of electric guitars?

And picking hand running into the controls.

You can work around both... or I should say, learn to live with both. :lol:

To the OP... if you aren't in a hurry to sell it, I'd throw it on eBay with a But It Now for about $2,200 with the option to take offers.

That will very likely be your best guide to an actual value in today's market. Hard to judge how being right after Christmas will affect your actual selling amount as I suspect most folks with $1,500 to pay for a guitar (which is what I think is a realistic value) will also have $2,000 or $2,200 to pay for a guitar (which is what I'd at least try to get). If it was mine... and if I was in no hurry to sell it.

:idk:

• Members

1970s 4 bolt fenders bring a few hundred more than 3 bolt - they're kind of the dividing line between "vintage" and "old" - the last of the good ones kind of thing. Unless you're in serious need of cash at the moment, just put it in a closet until the market recovers a bit. When the time comes, you won't have any trouble selling it.

• Members

Thanks Billy. I'm a complete noob when it comes to, how shall I put it, guitars with a bit of history? So I have no idea what to put it up for. All I know is don't want to sell myself short.

Why not hold onto it for a while, it might grow on you. I outgrew my Jag-stang. Now id love a tele.

• Members

can you just turn it upside down, string it backwards and play it righty?

I mean, I know you can, hendrix did something like that (opposite of course) but I was curious if it presented any challenges.

Hipsters have been known to do this.

• Members

1970s 4 bolt fenders bring a few hundred more than 3 bolt - they're kind of the dividing line between "vintage" and "old" - the last of the good ones kind of thing.

Actually the "standard" Telecaster remained 4 bolt during the '70s. It was only the Custom, Deluxe, and Thinline models that had 3 bolt necks.

Archived