Android apps for the studio and musicians

Phait

• Members

I started a thread a month or two ago, and Craig had a bunch of cool suggestions.

I have been using an app called Tube Temp BMP tons over the last couple days for some rhythm section tracking sessions.Its basically a very good free tap tempo app with a funny interface.

• Members

I'm still trying to get my android to get my email without force closing two years on! Androids are {censored}. iPhone rules.

?

That sounds really frustrating. I don't think that's a generic problem, somehow. Have you checked with your carrier's customer assistance? (I know they're not all good. But I've had great luck with the folks at T-Mobile. That, of course, would likely change if AT&T is allowed to buy them and suck up their customers. :mad: ) Certainly, I don't have any issues like that on my 2.2 Android.

I only use free apps. Free phone, free apps. It fits my free lifestyle. :D

Of course, I have the Gearslutz app. ;)

I installed FourTracks Lite and it works (within a 3 minute limit for the free version) OK enough. I doubt it's as nicely done as the (pay for) iPhone 4 tracker apps I've read about. But, you know, for sketching out an idea or two it seems fine.

I use the Hi-Q Mp3 recorder for most of my musical 'note-taking.' (Free version is limited to having 10 minutes of audio in its folder, IIRC.) It can record at different bitrates (up to 128 kbps). I use 96 as a rule and it sounds entirely decent on my phone. The built in mic is surprisingly decent, though a little bass shy.

I just found Rehearsal Assistant, which I apparently haven't used but likely installed on recommendation from Craig A's Android thread.

I use the DropBox app for moving stuff around and AndroExplorer and eFile for file stuff on the phone.

I use Gesture Search as an all round productivity enhancer. Makes finding contacts, music and video tracks really quick. (Basically you 'write' one letter at a time across the screen and it filters your content from there.)

I use Bubble to turn my phone into a bubble level (could be handy around the studio). Usability could depend on your phone's form factor. Mine will lie flat but if you had a rounded back, it might be an issue.

My Android doesn't have a notification light like my old BB did to show me when a new VM or message is in, so I use Missed Message Flasher to flash the button lights at regular intervals to signal new stuff.

I use StopWatch & Timer for the obvious stuff.

I use the NPR News app as well as the Google News App.

And, finally, since I'm a Rhapsody subscriber, I use the Rhapsody app, which allows you to DL a whole playlist of songs into your phone's memory (can't transfer it out) -- since streaming the songs live puts a much bigger drain on the battery than one big download (seems like that could be programmed around to some extent but I'm not a phone guy). I wish there was better integration (some integration, rather) between the Rhap app and existing tracks on your phone. I haven't figured out how to mix them up. It's either playback tracks I've personally put on the phone using the Android player or access Rhap or previously DL'd Rhap tracks using that app. It'd obviously be better to be able to mix it up.

And, of course, I use a bar code reader for bar and especially QR codes. (QR codes, next big thing or already over? I can't decide. I think we're in between the hipster phase and the Wal-Mart user phase but we'll see.)

One thing I'd love to find -- a video cam app that used decent sound format. The built in vid cam app shoots OK-ish vid on my phone -- but the audio suckssuckssucks. It must be, like, 32 kbps, max. (That said, I haven't looked lately.)

Archived