Ever bought a guitar and wondered......

jumpwin

• Members

Why did I just do that?:confused:

I've just won a cheap and cheerful V copy off ebay, all paid and now I'm thinking, why did I just do that? I bid on it cause it was cheap, and had no bidders with an hour left to go. The wife will inevitably shout and scream about having too many f'ing guitars, I'm not too keen on pointy guitars and definitely don't need another.

Is there such a thing as involuntary GAS?? Was I controlled by a cross dimensional spirit? or have I lost it?

• Members

There is such a thing as compulsive purchasing - buying things just because they are a good deal, or just to buy something.

You may want to take a break from ebay, these forums and anything else that leads to conspicuous purchases until you have a better handle on your impulses.

• Members

I always try to dream up some justification for each new guitar, even if it's flimsy, just to convince myself it wasn't just pure impulsively wasted money. See, THIS guitar was a different color, or it has different pickups, or it's a good back-up just in case, or it's something I can let kids play with, or whatever. Either it's different from anything else and worth buying because it's different, or it's the same as something else and worth buying as a backup.

• Members

There is such a thing as compulsive purchasing - buying things just because they are a good deal

This is me, exactly. I'm trying like hell to rid myself of this habit. Like when I buy a Strat cause it's such a good deal, even though I don't even play Strats anymore. I'm currently in sell-off mode to make up for the last couple years of stupid purchases. They're all great guitars, but I never needed them, or even really wanted them, to start with.

• Members

This is me, exactly. I'm trying like hell to rid myself of this habit. Like when I buy a Strat cause it's such a good deal, even though I don't even play Strats anymore. I'm currently in sell-off mode to make up for the last couple years of stupid purchases. They're all great guitars, but I never needed them, or even really wanted them, to start with.

That's the other problem. I don't ever sell them. I'm in the process of selling my first guitar. I think about selling them, but then, somehow justify their presence. When the Tele is sold I know I'm going to regret it. I am a musical horder.

• Members

I put pretty strict rules on myself. I allot only so much for my guitar budget every week and save for the things I want. That forces me to consider my purchases pretty carefully. It helps that I'm a horrible cheapskate, so I always shop for bargains...even if it means taking a different color or whatever. Cheap trumps a good burst any day to me. By not rushing into things, I have a fairly good record of buying things that actually help. Failing that, I hopefully got it cheap enough to break even if I sell it.

Define what it is you want to accomplish with a guitar. I only have two that function and they seem to cover what I need to do. I have also found that having limited gear forces me to learn to play better. I've found sounds in my guitars that aren't associated with that style at all just by altering technique. Hell, I can get a passable tele sound from my jazz hollowbody. Go figure.

EG

• Members

Guitars are an area that I have hording impulses mostly under control. It's easier in a way because I suck at playing and therefore have constant reminder of why I DON'T need another. If I was good enough to gig, at ALL, I'd probably go nuts on gear for a while. :facepalm:

• Members

That's the other problem. I don't ever sell them. I'm in the process of selling my first guitar. I think about selling them, but then, somehow justify their presence. When the Tele is sold I know I'm going to regret it. I am a musical horder.

I always have been too. It's tough to sell them. I've sold dozens (probably more than that) over the years, but honestly I only really regret a few of them. Most of the time I was freaked out before and during the sale, then then never missed them.

On the other hand, I have one guitar that I kept putting in the "sale" pile for years, but for whatever reason couldn't let it go. I guess that meant I should keep it, so I did. My collection was around 40 at one point in my life (modest compared to some here I guess), but I'm working to get it down to around 10. There's really hard decisions involved when you get rid of that many, but honestly I'm already feeling less burdened.

• Members

Just once. I bought a Schecter S-1 that had ridiculous flames on it and had Duncan Designed JB/59 pickups in it. I was moving to college and didn't want to take my Gibson with me, so I bought one of these:

7420976.cfa9ce1a.560.jpg

At the time I had a full-time job and was living with my parents with zero bills and debt, so I used to impulse buy quite a bit. After buying it, I kind of thought "why the hell did I do that?" and it got sold within six months for what I paid (luckily).

• Members

There is such a thing as compulsive purchasing - buying things just because they are a good deal, or just to buy
something

You may want to take a break from ebay, these forums and anything else that leads to conspicuous purchases until you have a better handle on your impulses.

This. I'm way to tempted by impulse buys, I got about 30 or so guitars (in varying conditions) and quite a few of them I bought because I thought they were a great deal. I'm going to try to slim the heard down to at least 25, if not 20 and focus more on quality.

• Members

I put pretty strict rules on myself. I allot only so much for my guitar budget every week and save for the things I want. That forces me to consider my purchases pretty carefully. It helps that I'm a horrible cheapskate, so I always shop for bargains...even if it means taking a different color or whatever. Cheap trumps a good burst any day to me. By not rushing into things, I have a fairly good record of buying things that actually help. Failing that, I hopefully got it cheap enough to break even if I sell it.

Define what it is you want to accomplish with a guitar. I only have two that function and they seem to cover what I need to do. I have also found that having limited gear forces me to learn to play better. I've found sounds in my guitars that aren't associated with that style at all just by altering technique. Hell, I can get a passable tele sound from my jazz hollowbody. Go figure.

EG

I'm the same way. If I want something that doesn't mean that I am going to buy it and if I do buy it there is usually a great deal involved.

But I also set up a personal rule of if one comes in than one has to leave. So basically the only time that I get a new guitar is if it's replacing something else. Used to be really easy in the beginning to sell off something that I didn't like because of the neck profile or whatever, but it's getting pretty hard to imagine myself parting with anything right now for something that I may like better.

The wife is cool with my purchases so I kind of have to impose these on myself. I won't say that it takes strict discipline or anything, but I have to admit that it would be easier if she was a real pain in the butt about it.

• Members

There is such a thing as compulsive purchasing - buying things just because they are a good deal, or just to buy
something

Yep, and eBay is a whole 'nother matter. It enables such behavior. Plus, I've gotten into bidding wars over stuff and ended up paying twice what something was worth.

I'd lay of eBay for a while if I was the OP.

• Members

It's like the 5 phases of GAS

OCD Purchasing

Buyers' Remorse

Skeptical Critical Review and Evaluation

Spend More Money for Mods

Adopt & Love

Now from there it splits into two types

Flip & Repeat

&

Hoard

Nothing new there ;)