can you help me make up my mind about a guitar purchase?

entertainment9

• Members

I've been an acoustic player for a long time, but recently I've been longing to own a beautiful electric guitar. I've been saving my sheckles, and am getting close to making a decision. After much research and debate, I think I've narrowed it down to two choices, but I'm having trouble making the final call, so I thought I'd solicit some advice from u. Never having owned an electric guitar, I don't really have a playing style yet; I just want something that looks and sounds beautiful, that I'll delight in playing.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Schecter S-1 Electric Guitar or Dean Vendetta 4.0 Electric Guitar

Thoughts?

• Members

I'm sure several others will tell you as much, but you should probably go out and play as many different types of guitars as you can, as there is considerable variability in feel, weight, and sound in electrics. You'll have to find something that works for you, and realize that it may be a model or type you hadn't even considered ...

• Members

Agree with JRicoC, You should play as many as you can, especially since youre used to acoustic sound. Those two you listed are going to sound better for heavy stuff.

Mostly it depends on the tone you want...wanna shred? those are good choices...

I would highly recomend trying a few that you like and finding what feels the best and has the sound you like.

• Members

I would try to find a guitar that has a neck similar to your acoustic or your favorite acoustic if you have a few. That will make the guitar feel more comfortable to you right away. It looks like you are in the $400.00-600.00 range as far as your budget goes. There are lots of guitars in that range. If you go used or in most cases stay away from a "brand" name, you could end up getting a really, really, nice guitar for $600.00.

Here are some places you might check out if you haven't already.

www.fretcity.com/shop/

www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar.html

http://store.guitarfetish.com/

• Members

Not exactly my cup of tea, but between those two guitars, I would recommend the Schecter as a "first" electric for this reason: It doesn't have a Floyd Rose. This makes it much simpler, easier to set up (and change strings, etc.) and more robust. Of course, I would strongly recommend you take Rico's advice and check out LOTS of guitars before you decide. There's no time constraint here; I'm relatively certain that electric guitars are going to be available for the foreseeable future, so don't rush into it. Rather, take your time and check these things out in person to be sure you choose something you won't regret shortly!

Good luck, and most important: Have fun!!!

• Members

It's hard man. Everyone will tell you a million things but it makes no difference to you. You have to go out and do the hard work of playing them all and learning what it is that you like. Just takes time an effort.

There is a reason that many, many, players own Strats and Les Pauls. those are both really great guitars.

My advice would be to get a HSS stratocaster with a maple neck. They sound amazing when played clean with the neck single coil. They sound amazing when played dirty on the bridge humbucker. they feel great, look cool, are very versatile, and are comfortable as anything out there. If you really get into it, you will buy other guitars, but if you want just one, you should have that type strat, imo ymmv.

Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-HSS-Sunfire

FHSS8-AWT-MPL_front.jpg

• Members

What kind of music do you hope to play on it?

Humbuckers are a good choice for someone who's used to acoustic, since they're warmer than single coils. Avoid Floyd Rose whammies like the plague unless you want to play metal. Even still, I'd say go with a hardtail guitar until you're used to it; it stays in tune a lot better. The Schecter's not bad; that Godin's sweet but may be a little too jazz unless you're eying going in that direction. I'd suggest a solidbody electric, since those are the most versatile.

• Members

He doesnt even play. Clicking on his links gives him a referral fee and a larger one should a sale be made. This is all a scam.

Sonuvabitch. :eek:

Check out what our friend entertainment9 said on this thread: "I've been playing electric (Strat) for a couple of years and am currently looking into buying my first bass." There was also a link. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the heads-up, harold heckuba. I believe the operative word here is "Busted!"

• Members

He doesnt even play. Clicking on his links gives him a referral fee and a larger one should a sale be made. This is all a scam.

Good call. A good rule of thumb is to not click on links that people put into posts like this. If they can't even bother to paste the info or embed the photos then why should we be expected to hunt down this stuff?

• Members

I don't doubt you for a second. But how do you spot when someone is doing it? Good guess? Educated guess? Big thumbs up for letting everyone know though cheers.

Archived