AMP SETTINGS

arkansasmatt

• Members

Amps vary so much that it's impossible to list a general amp setting that will work across the board.

For instance, my Peavey Classic 30 sounds best with the bass, mid, and treble all cranked to 12, the gain on around 9, and the volume around 6. My Classic 50 sounds terrible when you crank the EQs all the way up. My Bassman sounds great with the bass and treble both around the mid point. My Weber 5E7M needs the bass turned down a little and the mid and treble cranked a little more to get it to sound the way I want it to.

• Members

Yeah, different amps, different guitars, different speakers... :idk:

Usually on a Blackface Fender and a strat, I'll go for Bass on 4, Mids on 2, Treble on 6, volume slightly louder than I want, neck pickup, volume on the guitar down around 7 or 8.

Tweed Fender is the same basic thing, usually slightly less bass and more treble, with the volume up higher and even more rolled off on the guitar.

For metal, I plug into an HD500, pull up my Uber or Fireball preset I tweaked. I don't do scooped mids, just a nice, beefy, thick tone. No effects other than very slight reverb and a noise gate.

• Members

marshall 6100lm:

bass 10, mids 8, treble 6.

The bass controls the texture of the gain, so i keep it high and use my eq in the lewp to tweak it for tightness.

homemade sunnclone:

bass 1, mids 10, treble 6

Its more of a bass amp than a guitar amp. It goes from no bass to WAY TOO MUCH BASS between 0 and 1. And yes, i did install the correct type of potentiometer for the position. Its just the character of the amp.

Due to the booming bass, mids need to be at 10 to prevent mud.

• Members

any settings for a jcm 800, orange rockerverb 100, and the marshall mini stack...i play stuff like slipknot,stone sour,lamb of god, as i lay dying,old metallica,pantera, and many more..how would u set the amps too get that type of sound..i like jim roots tone alot.

• Members

I had a similar question after reading the Dual Rec amp manual...they mentioned the treble setting being the most important on any amp. And that led me to wondering how people dial in their amps (all knobs on 5, all knobs on 10, adjust the treble first or bass first, etc).

Typically I will set all knobs at 5 (unless I know they're passive like a Marshall and put them all at 10), usually will dial in the amount of mids I want or not, then the amount of treble, and then the bass. Sometimes I put a little presence on top for clarity.

For cleaner sounds and humbuckers, I usually run the mids around 5, put the treble up near 7 or 8, and keep the bass between 3 and 5. With a Strat, the treble and bass would be closer to 5. For higher gain and humbuckers, I'll usually start at 5's and bump the mids and treble a bit. With a Strat, the treble is really low and the mids and bass are higher.

• Members

For a Marshall, I start putting everything on 10's, might back off the bass/treble depending on the speakers, and with an 800 style amp I'd usually lower the gain a bit and hit it with an overdrive pedal (like an MXR Zakk Wylde or Fulltone OCD). For more clarity, an EQ pedal in the effects loop to suck out the mids and boost the highs/lows can help too. I think that's how a lot of the metal guys used to do it.

• Members

Yeah, on my JCM 800, if you turned the bass all the way up, it was NOT going to sound pretty, regardless of the other settings on the amp. :lol:

Actually, I found that my favorite gain tones on my 800 were with the 'gain' around 1:00 or 2:00 and an original Guv'Nor used to get the actual 'gain' I wanted to hear. That always sounded less raspy to me than trying to get the full amount of gain from just the amp.

• Members

I read that Iommi turned the bass to zero, and the mids and treble to 10. And then put a top boost in front of it.

Yeah, the main ingredient of his early sound was his modded Rangemaster. As far as I know, he'd run his amp at full blast; the Rangemaster most likely maintained clarity in his sound.

• Members

I had a similar question after reading the Dual Rec amp manual...they mentioned the treble setting being the most important on any amp.

what mesa failed to mention is that their strange eq and amplifier design makes their treble control do more work than in other amps. There are almost no other amps out there that depend so much on tweaking the controls to get a good sound.

• Members

what mesa failed to mention is that their strange eq and amplifier design makes their treble control do more work than in other amps. There are almost no other amps out there that depend so much on tweaking the controls to get a good sound.

this.

the dials on a mesa are so freaking sensitive. the smallest little adjustment can make the biggest difference.

• Members

On amps with tone controls I always start with everything full up and then back things off depending on the volume and room. I tend to think of the treble control as an attack control for how much of the initial picking hand attack I want to hear. The bass goes down as the volume goes up. And the middle is usually up unless I want more clarity for chords.

• Members

Mesa actually did mention their controls were more interactive, but that's the only time I've heard the notion of adjusting treble first. Actually helped quite a bit in dialing in the Dual Rec model on my Mustang.

• Members

I seem to be using different settings all the time. I don't think I've played two gigs with the same EQ setting. I use a Green thingy tube screamer mostly all the time and to be honest I get more variation on that than on the treble, bass and mids. I change the setting on that green box to set my tone. Also I have been experimenting with a Boss compressor in conjunctoon with the screamer which I find gives exciting tonal possibilities.

Archived