Best place to look for used guitar, other than Clist or Ebay?

Beckman

• Members

I going to be looking to get a new guitar in February. I am mainly looking at a LP Studio. But, may consider an SG or V. I want to go used and spend around $600, maybe more, maybe less.

Is there somewhere I should check other than Craigslist and Ebay? I don't prefer ebay, and will look at Craigslist, but thought I should try other places. There is used gear at GC and Music Go Round, but those are hit or miss, and seem to ask for more for used gear.

• Members

Look everywhere you can and only jump at something if it's exactly what you want or an excellent bargain. I bought my strat used having spent three months checking pawn shops, eBay, gumtree, craigslist... I ended up getting it from a guy advertising on some sort of local paper small ads website. Chatted to the guy by phone first and sent my very kind drummer to pick it up on his way back from holiday.

New guitars you can pretty much go to any decent store and try them out and walk away with something decent. Used is harder - but much more rewarding!

• Members

For you...being in Detroit would be kijiji Ontario. All of those close cities in Ontario might be a gold mine for you but I wouldn't think a LP would be a tough to find item in Detoit at about $800.

This one would be a steal at $700 but maybe they'll take $600-$650

I just looked at that. There are some decent ones at Music Go Round in the range. I travel all over the state, and down to West Lafayette, through Fort Wayne. Indianapolis is not too far. I go to Toledo, South Bend, and over to Gary as well. This is all for work. I have a large area I can go to.

Does anyone know if GC will ship in a guitar from another state? I have found several in other states that I might be interested in. Also, if they do ship them, will I have to buy it, or pay a fee?

• Members

If you that much traveling, look where the economy has been hit hardest. Not that I want people to sell their stuff for less but in the states that have been hit hardest, that's where the prices will be best and those people will be in the position to benefit most by having sold a guitar(?).

That one is a great price at $700 and the 'back story' makes me think it was babied. Did you mean that you went to see it in person or that you had looked at it on CL?

• Members

No, I was just looking at it on CL. I would prefer to see something in person. With all the fake Gibsons, it makes me nervous to buy from ebay. I can see them in person at CL. And, it Guitar Center can get them shipped in, that would be nice as well.

• Members

Please explain. I have not heard this. Do you mean they would send it to me, and I would send it back if I did not want it. Or, I would have to live close.

Well you can contact the seller on eBay and fix something up with them. You can get some things pretty cheap this way - if a seller doesn't want to sort out shipping then they can list as 'buyer collects' or something like that - this drags the price down as fewer people are willing to bid.

• Members

Yes Go to GC online, go to used, find the guitar you want, call the store, and buy it. You will pay the price you agree upon, tax, and usually $10 shipping for a guitar. If you decide you don't want it, bring it to your local GC, and get your money back. That simple.

I would like to add, Craigslist is still the best bang for your buck. There is either nothing worthwhile for months at a time, or all at once, half a dozen killer deals, then you get in trouble with your wife...

• Members

Thanks. I really plan to use Craigslist. But, you never know. I just started this post to see if there was something I was missing, or an easier than check all the different sites. I have to wait until the middle of February. Commission check.

I have been teasing myself scouring all the sites. I have found a bunch of good guitars. :mad:

• Members

Thanks. I really plan to use Craigslist. But, you never know. I just started this post to see if there was something I was missing, or an easier than check all the different sites.

I have been teasing myself scouring all the sites. I have found a bunch of good guitars.
:mad:

As you now craigslist is hit or miss. Especially Detroit craigslist. Recently I missed out on a hollowbody I wanted. Condition was great and price was great. My timing wasn't and buyer sold it. One week later I see same guitar relisted by another seller but for more $$. Guy was trying to flip it fast. I contact him and offer him the original buyers selling price. New buyer really needed $$ and quickly so he sold it to me at the price I missed out on. Moral is you never know what can happen.

• Members

places i check...

ebay, forums, used.guitarcenter.com , and musicgoround.com

i've found a lot of GREAT deals on this forum and others.

Looks like I am doing it all. I have been also checking the M123, MF, etc used sections. I was hoping there was a holy grail I did not know about.

• Members

Looks like I am doing it all. I have been also checking the M123, MF, etc used sections.
I was hoping there was a holy grail I did not know about

Oh, there is, but you really didn't expect us to tell you. :lol:

On a more serious note, if you like auctions.... I've got great bargains, and I've seen people bid what you can buy something new for. :facepalm: Then check this out:

http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/auctionsearch.cgi?month=&year=&txtSearchRadius=100&txtSearchZip=60946&txtSearchKeywords=guitar&idxSearchCategory=0

Just type in a keyword, like guitar, and your zip code, and decide how far you want to travel.

Archived