LES PAUL SOUND with JACKSON neck/playability?

guitarist17

• Members

What kind of guitar am I searching for? I LOVE my les pauls sound, the huge thick bottom end, I mean, what else can be said, it's a Les paul...My jackson custom shop RR-1 plays like a dream, I mean, nothing can touch it, it's incredibly fast and SO easy to play, but it doesn't sound like my Les Paul of Course. So, what kind of guitar am I searching for? PRS's all play like a dream to me, everyone I pick up is just so fast and completely awesome to play. What do you guys think? I tried doing a search, but couldn't find anything surprisingly (must be THAT crazy of an idea to find something like I'm asking for!) thanks!

• Members

You could build your own with Warmoth parts.

They have Les Paul Bodies and you can custom order your own Les Paul type neck

lpcp258a.jpg

lpn589A.jpg

Specs: Maple/Brazilian Rswd, 1 11/16" Nut Width, Standard thin Contour, 10-16" Compound Radius, Pearloid Trapezoid Inlays, Ivoroid Binding, Vintage Style (11/32") Tuner Ream

My personal experience with Warmoth is limited to Fender type guitars but I think their product is first class. Their Les Paul style guitars have bolt on necks but they claim it works. The advantage to bolt on is the ability to customize and get exactly what you want at a reasonable price.

• Members

The thickness of the neck will contribute a little to the tone, so you will lose something with a thin neck.

My SLSMG (all mahogany soloist) sounds pretty thick - it's not LP tone by any stretch, but its a lot closer than a Rhodes.

An ESP eclipse has the added benefit of being 24.75" scale like a LP, so that might get you closer.

• Members

The thickness of the neck will contribute a little to the tone, so you will lose something with a thin neck.

My SLSMG (all mahogany soloist) sounds pretty thick - it's not LP tone by any stretch, but its a lot closer than a Rhodes.

An ESP eclipse
has the added benefit of being 24.75" scale like a LP, so that might get you closer.

That too, played one at the music shop for my last lesson, it a very convincing substitute.

• Members

Thanks for the help guys. You all pretty much verified my previous thoughts.

Warmoth had definitely crossed my mind. The eclipse had as well, however, they just always felt "cheap" to me I guess? I know the USA models are probably not, but the other ones seemed that way to me.

I've always been much more of an "amp" guy than a "guitar" guy. I honestly probably don't know a quarter as much about guitars as I do amps. I realized young that the amp is REALLY what shapes your sound the most, so I just never got into "boutique" style guitars. I half expected you guys to throw out a bunch of names I had never heard of: Much like if you werent an amp guy and people started throwing out names like diezel, steavens, mako, bogner etc...So whats big in the "boutique" world of guitars? My buddy has a warrior that he swears by, I should check one of those out.

• Members

Yea its not the thiness at all. I love the way my Lp plays, no complaints really. I'd just love to have a nice LP sounding thick guitar with a jackson neck basically. Thiness for me doesn't equal playability, I mean my RR-1s neck is thick as hell compared to my LP's.

What about the Jackson SLATQH? Anyone have one? damn those look nice, everything i want really...Ebony board, mahogany body/neck, quilt maple top....sounds perfect for me

• Members

Earlier Jackson models contain few guitars that might pique your interest.

there's the Soloist AT Pro, which is 24.75 scale, Mahogany body, maple cap. There was a trem version, too but they're getting hard to find these days.

The Charvel 750XL was the AT Pro before there was an AT Pro. Basically the same guitar, but most of them had floyds. They were also much meatier... the SLAT Pros had a skinnier body.

The String-thru 750XLs are about as close to a Les Paul as you're going to find from Jackson/Charvel. Thinner neck than the same-year Soloists, too.

• Members

There's a Charvel 750XL on eBay. It's got a Floyd, and I have no idea whether it's a good one or not, but the price means that you can probably resell it if it doesn't work out for you.

This one's a beauty, but the price is outrageous: http://cgi.ebay.com/Jackson-USA-Custom-Shop-Archtop-Soloist-Solar-Flame-New-/270618578229

• Members

That's a great price on a 750XL, but it'll go up. Trust me. Also, there's no definitive answer on what the Solid color ones were made out of. All the trans finish ones (IE the bursts) and the String-thru models are Mahogany with a maple cap, but some have said the solid color tremmed ones could be Basswood, Alder, or Mahogany. Regardless, they're so damn big (Think soloist body, with a 1/4"+ maple cap on the top) that they all have significant heft.

Archived