Duncan Invader thoughts?

bengerm77

• Members

I recently purchased a guitar that came with a duncan invader, not the JB that was supposed to come in there stock. Now I've always have bad thoughts about the invader, even though I've never played one (yes, I'm that asshole). After having put it through two different band practices, I've come to a conclusion: it's a great rhythm guitarist pickup. I've got a great crunchy rhythm tone, and tons of output - as expected - but no great cutting solos. I'm baffled as to how my high lead notes don't quite sing out of this thing as they're supposed to. But that's why I'm putting it back to stock anyway.

Your thoughts? I just like starting threads.

• Members

Yeah... it's solid. I tend to be able to find decent tones in most name brand humbuckers. It's just as a single coil guy and someone that usually uses low output HBs like Seth Lovers, the Invader is so hot I need to change pretty much all my amp/pedal settings. And it's so thick sounding that I find that I can't just roll the volume on the guitar to tame the output or else it's MUD MUD MUD.

But yeah... I got some great tones out of it... until I swapped it. :lol:

• Members

I've found it works great if you're the only guitar player in a band. Generally depends heavily on how you set your amp though. I've had it sound great, and I've had it sound like it was wrapped in a thick blanket and buried underground.

My favourite application is distorted rhythm for rock type sounds, not even necessarily metal. It CAN sound great, but it's not idiot proof.

• Members

My son has one in a strst. I like it for what it is, but pickups with output that high lose all clarity and don't do much besides grind em out. For that job, it's aces. For any other job, look elsewhere. No, that thing won't be cutting through any mix for a lead but if you want to chugga chugga, it'll do it with the best.

EG

• Members

I recently purchased a guitar that came with a duncan invader, not the JB that was supposed to come in there stock. Now I've always have bad thoughts about the invader, even though I've never played one (yes, I'm that asshole). After having put it through two different band practices, I've come to a conclusion: it's a great rhythm guitarist pickup. I've got a great crunchy rhythm tone, and tons of output - as expected - but no great cutting solos. I'm baffled as to how my high lead notes don't quite sing out of this thing as they're supposed to. But that's why I'm putting it back to stock anyway.

Your thoughts? I just like starting threads.

I think that pretty much sums it up from what I've heard. The JB is an awesome soloing pickup, the Invader a great rhythm pickup. You need to somehow combine the two. It's amazing that they are both using the same winds and bobbins, just different magnets and poles.

Archived