Whiching a Strat from righty to lefty - tips please

Jan Deal

• Members

I am planning on switching my backup Fender Stratocaster from right hand to left hand for my girlfriend, and I was hoping to get some advice on how to best do this. I know that I'll have to swap the nut over, re-intonate and move the strap pin. Is there anything else I have to consider? I am a bit wart on the best way of removing the nut and switching it over.

• Members

I'll tell you, it's uncomfortable as hell and requires adapting. Not only do the knob dig painfully into their forearm at first, but you knock them out position until you find a way around them.

Really the only think left is, if she'll use the trem, the trem bar as to be reshaped, Jimi (and SRV) apparently spent evening reshaping trem bars by hand.

• Members

That's one of the few "looks" things that really grabs me. I love the look of a righty Strat converted to lefty or vice versa. I'm sure it is a bitch to get used to with knobs, switch, trem, jack and upper access on the neck. But it's almost worth it. Maybe it's a love of Hendrix thing. I dunno.

Oh, and you should get a new nut cut for it.

• Members

I'll tell you, it's uncomfortable as hell and requires adapting. Not only do the knob dig painfully into their forearm at first, but you knock them out position until you find a way around them.

I actually think I'd accidentally adjust strat knobs less often if they were up by my arm, rather than RIGHT FREAKING THERE WHERE I WANT TO PUT MY {censored}ING FINGER.

Sorry. I hate strat knobs. A lot.

Archived