new amp day

mistersully

• Members

thanks everyone

i'm in love with this amp.... every guitar i have sounds great through it... working with my guitar's tone and volume knobs gets me all the great tones i need

and i have to say... their 'master voltage' thing really works.... you don't lose anything when you turn it down

i have no regrets laying down the money i did on this amp

• Members

Cool amp. What are those grills on the top of the amp? Tweeters or ports?

Awesome 50s' retro styling, I believe.

Might help with cooling a bit but there aren't any tweeters and it's an open back amp, so they aren't ports.

It's just the 65 Amps 'look'.

• Members

Not going to lie, I've been checking out the amp and am GASing a bit after watching some YouTube videos. I see my local dealer has one in stock.
:facepalm:

go play it... go on :)

there's a few quirks so far... when you engage the bump with the footswitch there's a bit of a pop sound...could be a pain if using it as a lead boost ... although the bump is a bit dark... i'd be inclined to leave it on through a whole song and set the amp to suit... or leave it off.... the only way i'd use it as a boost is to have my tone rolled back on the guitar and then roll it back up when i engaged the bump....some of their other models have a seperate level and tone control for the bump

the tremolo reacts differently depending on how you have the master voltage set... and can sound a little hissy in some settings

the amp is bright with my strat (g&l)... but using the tone control on the guitar sorts that out... and it sounds GREAT... as it does with all my guitars

if you play it, spend a bit of time with it... if you like el84s and p90s... i'd be surprised if you didn't love this amp

edit... it takes pedals really well too

• Members

keep in mind this is only 12 watts... i'd say it'd need a mic'ing depending on where you're playing, how loud your drummer is etc

The 65 Amps website lists it as 12 watts clean, 17 at full output. But all of the clubs we play mic amps for both FOH and monitor mixes.

Thanks for all of the gory details! I appreciate it. Another consideration for me would be a Dr. Z. I think I'll hold off before picking up either one though. The Vox will have to do the job for now.

• Members

Playing my AC30 at our audition yesterday, (with a drummer who wasn't particularly 'gentle'), I had it set on 22 watts and I never had the master volume over about 1/4 to 1/3... which was a shame... but I guess they are on the louder end of the spectrum.

ac30s are beasts

this thing would get over a drummer... it would just depend on the setting as to if it needed mic'ing

do you use any pedals to get overdrive when you need to play at lower volumes?

• Members

^^ No - I just crank up the normal vol, and keep the master relatively low, which probably isn't the best thing to do, but it still sounds fine. At the moment most of our stuff is clean through to moderate gain, so no need really for pedals... with the exception of the QOTSA cover we are planning to do, but even with that, the Junior seems to crunch it up enough.

So, you're getting your revenge on the one-dayers eh? Not sure what has happened to our lads. I think they may have put all their eggs into the one basket.

Archived