If that's true, then aren't all (most) neck humbuckers installed upside down?

GAS Man

• Members

This be a Question for soliciting input.

So you've got your neck humbucker and the threaded pole piece screws are closest to the fretboard.

Now if you go with the idea that adjusting the pole pieces is merely to balance out the output from string to string, then no problema

However, if you go with the idea that adjusting up the pole pieces will create different tones between the two coils due to "sampling area", then it would seem like you'd want to be able to increase the output from the coil closer to the bridge to create more articulation (i.e. less mud) for a neck pickup and have more of a contrasting coil-harmony in its tone.

So we all know that is how Peter Green had his LP, but I can't say I know why he did it that way.

But under this concept, maybe it would be a good idea to have all neck p'ups installed in that manner to sample closer to the bridge for more definition when desired.

????????????

peter-green-les-paul.jpg

What say you?

• Members

Personally I like the polepieces closer to the neck for more of a fundamental tone. In fact, on a 22 fret guitar the polepieces are where the 24th or second octave fret would be (with open string). My favorite pickup setting on a 335 is with both on and the volumes between half and full and then adjust to blend the harmonics from the bridge pickup with the fundamental from the neck pickup.

With a Les Paul, I am a bit more inclined to use the pickups separately with overdrive and together clean - unless I am playing Jazz and then it is usually the neck pickup with the tone control rolled back a bit.

• Members

Personally I like the polepieces closer to the neck for more of a fundamental tone. In fact, on a 22 fret guitar the polepieces are where the 24th or second octave fret would be (with open string).

That's a cool point. :thu:

I guess part of what started me thinking more about this is that last year I bought some PRS SEs on blow out with the idea of using them as platforms for pickup mods. With two of them my plans are pretty conventional, but with one I want to try a more adventurous but tried scheme of a DiMarzio Tone Zone in the neck and a Distortion in the bridge. Now most folks think a TZ in the neck is crazy, but there are folks out there like Paul Gilbert who promote that mix. So on that combo in particular, it seems like I might benefit from being able to sample closer to the bridge. :idk:

• Members

I think there would be a difference in the combined sound with both pickups on if the neck pickup was turned around because the magnet would be reversed. The polarity of the magnet (North/South) goes in the same direction as the strings.

I have not experimented with this but I would be interested in trying it sometime since I have a few dual humbucker guitars.

• Members

I think there would be a difference in the combined sound with both pickups on if the neck pickup was turned around because the magnet would be reversed. The polarity of the magnet (North/South) goes in the same direction as the strings.

Just flipping the pup assembly won't reverse the magnet. The Peter Green mod requires that the magnet be removed from between the coils, flipped to reverse polarity, & reinserted. You also need independent volume controls when both pups are selected.

• Members

Ummm, no. I know some of my guitar wielding think that neck pups just add mud and the closer to the fretboard the more mud. But When I want to play jazz, I want my neck pup mellowed out, and mellowness comes from being closer to the middle of the string. Therefore I want the screws close to the fretboard so I can dial in/out the mellow as needed (and actually as you change the tone of each string it DOES affect the perceived balance, so yes the screws are for adjusting tone AND perceived string-to-string balance). And when I go to my bridge, I want bite and cut without sounding too nasal, so I want my screws on the bridge side, 'cause that's where the cut comes from!

I'm not saying this is why they are done the way they are, just that it works for me.

• Members

I got this guitar and the neck pup was flipped, so when I did a rewire and put a cover on the neck pup I kept it flipped to check it out...I wouldn't claim to notice a lot of difference, just a little les muddy.

009-26.jpg

dang that guitar looks good bro...

• Members

A Tone Zone in the neck? I'm not one to talk smack until I try it... but I ain't ever gonna try it.

:lol:

I've turned pickup around before though... both directions, individually. Never noticed much of a difference. I think Peter Greens magnet was flipped around and/or might have bee half rewound as well. I think just flipping the pickup makes very, very little difference.

DSC_4153a1.jpg

DSC_5065a1crop.jpg

• Members

This be a Question for soliciting input.

So you've got your neck humbucker and the threaded pole piece screws are closest to the fretboard.

Now if you go with the idea that adjusting the pole pieces is merely to balance out the output from string to string, then no problema

However, if you go with the idea that adjusting up the pole pieces will create different tones between the two coils due to "sampling area", then it would seem like you'd want to be able to increase the output from the coil closer to the bridge to create more articulation (i.e. less mud) for a neck pickup and have more of a contrasting coil-harmony in its tone.

So we all know that is how Peter Green had his LP, but I can't say I know why he did it that way.

But under this concept, maybe it would be a good idea to have all neck p'ups installed in that manner to sample closer to the bridge for more definition when desired.

????????????

What say you?

If you want more articulation and clarity remove the screw-in pieces completely.:eek:

• Members

Just flipping the pup assembly won't reverse the magnet. The Peter Green mod requires that the magnet be removed from between the coils, flipped to reverse polarity, & reinserted. You also need independent volume controls when both pups are selected.

This is what I thought. Just flipping a stock pickup don't really do much.

• Members

It would flip the magnet relative to the magnet in the other pickup but I don't know if that would make any difference. If it did make a difference, it would only be when both pickups are on.

The north and south poles of the magnet face the long edge of the pickup assembly - that way one coil is affected by the north pole and the other coil by the south pole.

• Members

It would flip the magnet relative to the magnet in the other pickup but I don't know if that would make any difference. If it did make a difference, it would only be when both pickups are on.

The north and south poles of the magnet face the long edge of the pickup assembly - that way one coil is affected by the north pole and the other coil by the south pole.

It wouldn't matter. The pup would still be wired the same in relation to the magnet. The only way to reverse the magnetic polarity is to physically remove, flip, & reinsert the magnet.

• Members

I've always had the impression that there was a sweet spot at a particular interval between the 12th fret and the bridge saddles that was the optimal mounting center for the neck pickup. When I was putting the latest set of pickups in my Les Paul clone, I tried to hit that spot with the side of the pickup that had the screw adjustments. I'm not sure it makes a difference, but if it does, I suspect any perceived advantage is very slight.

• Members

I've actually messed around with this a bit and supposedly being closer to the neck makes a difference, but I could never tell one way from the other. I like to think that I have pretty discriminating ears as well.

There are a lot of people that don't like neck pickups on 24 fret guitars because they say that it sets it too far away and to be honest almost every 24 fretter I've ever owned sounded like ass in the neck position. Then again almost every 24 fret guitar was a shredder and I think that the neck pickups were put in there because they had routes to fill.

Archived