Head or combo? And why?

niceguy

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
You might need more than a 1x12 15w if you've got a loud drummer in rehearsals though
;)

I played in two bands as the drummer, and here was an interesting one. One band had a Crate VC 4xEL84 (30w) 1x12 amp and that thing would not cut it volume-wise. Just got fizzy and hissy and disappeared. Another band had a UNIVALVE with a single EL34 (7-10 watts maybe) through a 4x12 cab with V30's and that thing worked fine. Sure it was cranked and distorted, but it actually cut. At gigs he'd have to run it half volume.

having owned both, there must have been an issue with the Crate. My Crate V32 will bury my Univalve easily.

• Members

Owning and having owned many of each, I am much more of a head/cab person, regadless of size/output. For reasons listed and mainly because of one particular reason that I haven't seen. I much prefer a closed back cab and very few combos (especially tube) have closed backs. And I would think that a closed back combo would rattle the tubes even more.

• Members

Owning and having owned many of each, I am much more of a head/cab person, regadless of size/output. For reasons listed and mainly because of one particular reason that I haven't seen. I much prefer a closed back cab and very few combos (especially tube) have closed backs. And I would think that a closed back combo would rattle the tubes even more.

The big reason there are few closed back tube combos is venting issues. Though there are several, like Rivera, that offer them.

• Members

i dont really have any other options at this point, someday i will have different combos, heads and cabs for different size venues. so every gig we play regardless of size im bringing a 4x12 and rack amp. i got it down to 3 fairly easy trips. 1) cab. 2) amp. 3) guitar and pedal/cable case.

thanks to my hotplate and the low power switch on the mesa i can get good tones at reasonable levels and if they randomly change our gig to a stadium i should still be ok.

• Members

If your going Mesa i would highly suggest Head and cab..You go with a combo you may have to go to the gym to get in shape if your going to lug that thing any distance..

I myself own both i use a Marshall JCM800 Head and cab for large venues with our more rock based play list..When we are playing the smaller clubs i use twin Blues Jr's for our more Blues based set list..If the venue is a smaller club i will only use one of the Blues Jrs..

If i was playing bars and clubs only i would lean towards small wattage tube combo's ..But for large venues were power is needed the Head and cab can't be beat..

The large tube combos are just to heavy for me to haul around plus you can separate the head from the cab and keep tube rattle to a minimum which is a must when playing high wattage and high volumes..

Archived