Ibanez Artcore Posse!!!

NoirAbattoir

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by bronco

Hey Artcore Posse Comrades:

What amp and pedals are your favorite for your artcore?

I'm shoppin! [/quote

With my AK-85 (with the all rosewood bridge)

I tend to use the following.

For on the edge of feedback parts, I tend to use an Engl RB Signature, but any Engl should work nicely as long as you stay away from the high gain channels. With a big tube amp like than and a 4X12 i like to build up a huge swell of volume and let it roll around the body with a close mike- I get a very boomy compressed sound on the edge of feedback for solos. very cool.

For more normal use I use a Vox Pathfinder 15R, especially for recording.

The AK I run with stock pickups - makes my pedals sound really good and I can throw a lot of dirt in front of it without feedback.

My favorite pedals on the AK85 are the Fox Rox Captain Coconut 2 (the fuzzfoot sounds bitchin with it, better than any other guitar I have) and of course, the TZF.

ZVex Fuzz factory is also very nice, but the gate control (feedback) is going to be more sensitive because of the hollowbody.

• Members

10188636_l.jpg

I love my Artcore AFS75T. All I've done is add straplocks, sperzels, .13 blue steel strings, and removed the pickguard. I'm happy with the stock pickups through my Musicman 212 Sixty Five. I'm very impressed with the tuning stability after cranking on the bigsby.

I'm using a vintage Rat, Boss DD20, and Morley Bad Horsie wah. I go for indie rock sounds.. from PJ Harvey to Spiritualized.

I've played for 13 years and have owned all sorts of guitars... the Ibanez is my main right now. I love it :D The low cost makes it great for taking on tour or to far off shows.. if it gets banged around I don't freak out.

• Members

Originally posted by made of stone'

i removed the pickguard from mine too.

so do you think the sperzels significantly improved tuning?

I'm not 100% sure because it's been so long since I had the original tuners installed, but I'm guessing they helped. I've been told that less windings = more tuning stability. I'm far from an expert on this subject so anyone with better knowledge please feel free to clear this up.

My main reason for the switch was convenience. I love sperzels :)

• Members

I also found the pickups kind of muddy on my AK-85. But i loved the playability and acoustic sound of mine and bought it anyway. I replaced the pickups with NFS Nashville Filtertron (retrotron) copies and the tone is now very full and clear. I'm ordering an Ibanez Bigsby and roller bridge from Ibanez through Guitar Center and it's taking months to get here...but only 99.00 and it should fit perfectly in place.

I'm toying with replacing the pots too. Has anyone done this and gotten better tone out of an Ibanez?

• Members

My 13 year old son will soon join the Artcore Posse...

We went to GC last Friday whereupon he fell in love with the AS73 in cherry stain. Since the strings that come on guitars from the factory usually suck, can anyone recommend a good brand/gauge of string for him? He's 13 but he's been playing my Strat, strung with D'addario XL .012-.052's, long enough to build up the strength in his fingers. He eventually wants to install hotter pickups, as well.

• Members

people who play .008's and .009's are either shredders with floyd rose equipped guitars (with scalloped fingerboard, no less) or guys with extremely bad guitars that will play like barbed wire unless they use these very slinky gauges.

i'm using .010 on my artcore, but i think it would improve with .011, so i'm trying those next.

as for the tuners, you should wind the string at least 3 times around the post. i usually do 4, one above the post hole, and 3 below. that also keeps the string from popping out of the nut when you bend more vigorously, and yes i've seen it happen, though not on my artcore. i'm not really sure what's causing the out of tune issue in my guitar, but i've heard a lot of people complain about bigsby arms getting their guitars out of tune, so i'm betting on that. i'll try more windings the next time i change my string set, to see if it solves the problem.

• Members

Originally posted by rocknrao

any advice to give me as far as recommended mods?

I'd recommend you get it and play it for a while first, then firgure out what needs to be upgraded. If you read through the posts you'll notice some people want to replace the pups, some can't live with the tuners, etc. It all depends on what you want and the condition of your guitar. Me? I'll replace the tone pots as soon as I get around to it. I don't mind the pups at all.

• Members
the seafoam green one with the Bigsby on it.

I went ebay though and I haven't received it yet, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

any advice to give me as far as recommended mods?

Thats the one Im hoping to get by time Christmas comes around :D Im gonna play around with it before I do mods but I've been thinking of getting some of those Humbucker sized P-90's, Grover tuners, Straplocks, and maybe some dice knobs.

• Members

upgrading the pu's really depends on what amp you have, and what kind of music you're going to play. my vintage club didn't like my artcore's pickups, so i had to change them. either that or i'd have to get a new amp, which would be considerably more expensive. however, if i played with some distortion or overdrive, or other effects, i'd probably have kept the stock pickups, as it was cool that way, but i need good sparkly clean sounds, so a new pu set was in order.

Archived