Social Distortion Tone

JcKerr

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by seifukusha

WOW! Mike Ness uses a boss od1! are u sure?

It looks like one in the video but it's hard to tell since they never do a close up of either player's pedal layout. They do look like Boss pedals though. "Two Bags" also has a pedal that looks like another brand A/B switch as best as I can tell.

• Members

Mike does not use 4x10s. He uses 4x12s. His Bassmans are modded by Billy Zoom to brighten up the bass channel of the amp which has an extra gain stage the guitar channel does not. He used to use an OD-1 but on the last tour I saw them on he used an OD-3.

If you look for a P-90 guitar thats not very expensive check out the Les Paul Gem series. I got mine for about $650.

gem.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by MattACaster

Mike does not use 4x10s. He uses 4x12s. His Bassmans are modded by Billy Zoom to brighten up the bass channel of the amp which has an extra gain stage the guitar channel does not. He used to use an OD-1 but on the last tour I saw them on he used an OD-3.

If you look for a P-90 guitar thats not very expensive check out the Les Paul Gem series. I got mine for about $650.

gem.jpg

that guitar looks {censored}ing sweet

• Members

Mike does not use 4x10s. He uses 4x12s.

Thanks for the info. It's one of those things that's hard to determine from the video.

Great deal on that guitar. I looked at one about 5 years ago but the store that had it wanted $1200 for it and wouldn't reduce it even though the guitar had electronic (a faulty switch) and finish flaws.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I've seen him live a dozen times and this was the case, Les Pauls with P90's and Fender amps. His other guitarist used an all mahogany Les Paul DC special, also with P90's.

Mike Ness uses Fender bassman heads (alwasy has) and Marshall 4x12 cabs (Greenbacks) wired to 4ohm (Beucase Fenders run at 4ohms)

• Members

I've seen him live a dozen times and this was the case, Les Pauls with P90's and Fender amps. His other guitarist used an all mahogany Les Paul DC special, also with P90's.

Actually Jonny uses (2) Satellite 36 watt EL84 amps through (2) vintage 4x12 Marshall Greenbacks cabs.

His guitars are 55 and 57 les Paul Jr's and 58 & 59' Les Paul Jr's (which were cutaways as of 58') I also think he has an old 60-ish Special as well. He also plays 1950's Telecasters as too.

Mike Ness uses Fender bassman heads (always has) and Marshall 4x12 cabs (Greenbacks) wired to 4ohm (Because Fenders run at 4ohms) His guitars live guitars are a Les Paul Goldtop Deluxe w/ P-90's (early 70's with a maple neck) and another early 70's Burst w/ P90-'s

I beleive that he also owns a 56' Goldtop that he uses for recording (not touring - makes sense).

Jonny tours with ALL of his vintage guitars though.

• Members

Regardless of what they have used over the years, Social Distortion has that wonderful Ramones quality of making similar and simple music for years upon years that I never tire of listening to. Mike Ness is one of the best modern songwriters that I can think of and is highly deserving of being in the Songwriter's Hall of Fame.

• Members

i'm gonna see them in sept at the house of blues in chicago... i've been a fan forever, but never seen them... i'm afraid that they will be too old to really rock. it doesn't matter, mike ness doesn't have to jump around anymore to get his point across

I saw them a couple of years ago--they were part of a local radio station's "festival" show where the Foo Fighters headlined. They rocked harder than any other band on the bill. Mike Ness is freaking awesome.

• Members

i've seen social d probably 15 times in my life, probably 10 of those times since i moved to the west coast a little over 5 years ago - last time i was them was in april of this year.

i assure you, mike still rocks harder than 90% of all the bands out there.

can't wait to see 'em @ sunset HOB on the 18th and 01/09 (i think.)

mike is probably my second favorite songwriter ever.

that said, yup - p90'd deluxes into fender bassmans through marshalls. i've heard conflicting reports about his single pedal ... so that i'm not sure about. but i seriously LOVE his tone.

• Members

Here's what I can gather from a quick viewing of their
Live in Orange County
DVD.

Mike Ness is using a Fender Bassman head and a Marshall 4x10 cabinet. He switches between a goldtop LP and a sunburst LP both with P90s.

Second guitarist Jonny "Two Bags" Wickersham switches between a LP goldtop with P90s and a mahogany colored LP Jr. He's going into Marshall head or Fender Bassman head both hooked into Marshall 4x10 cabinets. EDIT: He also uses a Tele on a couple of songs.

It looks like both of them are using Boss effects, perhaps an OD-1, and maybe a delay. They have the distortion pedals on the floor near the mikes and the delays are apparently in the effects loop since they're back with the amps.

As for the show itself, don't worry, there is a lot of energy on the stage.

+1 - Just saw 'em a while back; they f*ckin; rocked. They were using Marshalls live. I think any Marshall with a Gibson would be able to dail it in, IMHO. Matt

• Members

i'm gonna see them in sept at the house of blues in chicago... i've been a fan forever, but never seen them... i'm afraid that they will be too old to really rock. it doesn't matter, mike ness doesn't have to jump around anymore to get his point across

Haha, are you kidding? I'll be 50 in May and still jump around and {censored}.

• Members
Haha, are you kidding? I'll be 50 in May and still jump around and {censored}.

^^^:thu::thu::thu:

I've seen them 2 years ago, SD played a show with The Backyard Babies (played Mommys Little Monster together).

Mike Ness used 2 LPs (Goldtop and the one with a Rat sticker),

both P90s equipped and used a Fender Bassman. (Capo on fret 2 during all songs they played)

Johnny 2Bags played a red LP DC with one P90, switched onto

a Tele for one song. He played through some old Marshall amp,

and a Satellite Amp, which looked really cool (maybe Class-A amp).

:)

• 3 years later...

Archived