Social Distortion Tone

JcKerr

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i'm gonna see them in sept at the house of blues in chicago... i've been a fan forever, but never seen them... i'm afraid that they will be too old to really rock. it doesn't matter, mike ness doesn't have to jump around anymore to get his point across

• Members

On the album "Social Distortion" Mike is holding an old Gretsch and Dennis has an old Harmony archtop - not sure which cuts they used what on

Any Rev Horton Heat or Setzer albums run Gretsches thru the paces

Billy Zoom from X played them a lot

The Living End

as well as countless 50s and 60s recordings by The Beatles, Eddie Cochran, Chet Atkins, Randy Bachman, Duane Eddy, etc.

• Members

Originally posted by bikescene

I think the tone comes from a combination with a Les Paul with p90's and his Bassman head. Maybe a Les Paul w/ p90's is up your alley.

I've seen him live a dozen times and this was the case, Les Pauls with P90's and Fender amps. His other guitarist used an all mahogany Les Paul DC special, also with P90's.

• Members

Here's what I can gather from a quick viewing of their Live in Orange County DVD.

Mike Ness is using a Fender Bassman head and a Marshall 4x10 cabinet. He switches between a goldtop LP and a sunburst LP both with P90s.

Second guitarist Jonny "Two Bags" Wickersham switches between a LP goldtop with P90s and a mahogany colored LP Jr. He's going into Marshall head or Fender Bassman head both hooked into Marshall 4x10 cabinets. EDIT: He also uses a Tele on a couple of songs.

It looks like both of them are using Boss effects, perhaps an OD-1, and maybe a delay. They have the distortion pedals on the floor near the mikes and the delays are apparently in the effects loop since they're back with the amps.

As for the show itself, don't worry, there is a lot of energy on the stage.

• Members

Originally posted by bgmacaw

Here's what I can gather from a quick viewing of their
Live in Orange County
DVD.

Mike Ness is using a Fender Bassman head and a Marshall 4x10 cabinet. He switches between a goldtop LP and a sunburst LP both with P90s.

Second guitarist Jonny "Two Bags" Wickersham switches between a LP goldtop with P90s and a mahogany colored LP Jr. He's going into Marshall head or Fender Bassman head both hooked into Marshall 4x10 cabinets. EDIT: He also uses a Tele on a couple of songs.

It looks like both of them are using Boss effects, perhaps an OD-1, and maybe a delay. They have the distortion pedals on the floor near the mikes and the delays are apparently in the effects loop since they're back with the amps.

As for the show itself, don't worry, there is a lot of energy on the stage.

"Two Bags" uses a LP DC, i think, the LP junior only has one p90, but the faded DCs have 2

• Members

Originally posted by JcKerr

A bassman is just a 1 channel amp... where's the distortion come from? any idea of a pedal or what?

The distortion is coming from power tube distortion and the OD-1. The bassman does not stay clean all the way through when you turn it up. And from bgmacaw's comments, if he uses a 4x10 cab, then speaker distortion also plays a role. Then his Boss pedal tops it off.

I've also heard that the head's also been modded before.

• Members

Originally posted by manilaboy1

"Two Bags" uses a LP DC, i think, the LP junior only has one p90, but the faded DCs have 2

Yes his was the special with two P90's and not the Jr. that only has one. And I was surprised to find out its not a faded, it's a real vintage model (I forget what year).

• Members

Originally posted by manilaboy1

In this screen shot from the DVD I mentioned, this looks like a Jr DC, not a LP DC.

twobags.jpg

Notice the single P90, only two knobs and no pickup switch as well as the wraparound bridge instead of a tune-o-matic.

Also note the Boss pedal in the background on top of the Marshall head. I wonder if that's a NS-2 noise suppressor?

• Members

Originally posted by bgmacaw

In this screen shot from the DVD I mentioned, this looks like a Jr DC, not a LP DC.

twobags.jpg

Notice the single P90, only two knobs and no pickup switch as well as the wraparound bridge instead of a tune-o-matic.

Also note the Boss pedal in the background on top of the Marshall head. I wonder if that's a NS-2 noise suppressor?

that pedal looks like a delay to me

Archived