NAD: Vox Valvetronix VT40+

acefreely

• Members

I've had this amp for about a week now and it's fantastic.

771743.jpg

Here are the amps that it models, taken from:

http://www.valvetronix.net/forums/tonelab-st-amp-pedal-models-t2836.html

SILK STD : GREEN

CLEAN Dumble Clean

CALI CLEAN Fender Brown Pro

US BLUES Fender Tweed Bassman

US 2x12 Blackface Twin

VOX AC15 1960's AC15 (12AX7 Top Boost)

VOX AC30 AC30TB

UK ROCK UK Blues JTM45

UK METAL JCM2000

US HIGH GAIN Bogner Ecstasy

US METAL Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier

BOUTIQUE METAL Dumble Overdrive Special

SPL : ORANGE

Roland JC

57Twin

Bruno Cowtipper

Matchless DC30H

1950's AC15 (EF86)

AC30HH

JCM800

Marshall JVM

Soldano Slo

VHT Pittbull

Diezel VH4

CST : RED

3Band EQ(Pure Clean)

Dumble Modded Fender Showman

Trainwreck Express

Original Crunch

Original BritishRockAMP

AC30BM

Marshall 50W Plexi

2555 Slash

Original HI_Gain

Peavey 6505

Original BOUTIQUE Metal

And here are the effect models taken from MF:

Effect Model List (25)

• Members

have you played it loud yet? I have a VT30 which sounds great at low volumes but as I turn it up it starts to sound very thin and harsh and nothing I do to the eq controls helps.

I haven't maxed it out or anything, but I have been playing it as loud as I can stand it. Seems to sound better the louder it gets...

Have you tried some of the suggestions from the valvtronix.net forum? There is a whole FAQ over there with answers to stuff like that.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

Congrats. Glad to hear you are liking yours.

Took advantage of GC's in store clearance on the VT30's this week. For $129 bucks, I didn't think I could go wrong. Played around with it a little this afternoon and I'm pretty happy with the purchase. Controls and interface are a little quirky at first, but seem to work ok, once you push the right buttons and turn the knobs where they are supposed to be. I can see where the foot switch for this could be a necessity, especially when you need to switch from clean to dirty on the fly. There's a fair amount of hum on the metal channels, but rolling back the wattage output a notch helps eliminate much of it. I haven't had a chance to crank mine yet, and I wouldn't doubt for second if it seemed a little thin at high volume, but I think the 10" speak keeps up pretty well. If they had upgraded to a 12" speak with that extra 10 watts they added on the VT40, they'd have the perfect combo. A 12" would carry a better tone, and probably fix those lows that guitarman seems to be missing at high volume. I don't know if it's purely psychological about having a tube present or the modeling has just gotten that good, but it's definitely got the characteristics of a small tube amp. It's light and I'm not viewing as much more than a house amp, but I suppose you could get a decent sound by mic'ing it with a 57 somewhere, when space is tight. Seems like it'll get plenty loud if, and when, I decide to push it. I spend most of my time gigging on the electric fiddle, and my guitar time is second fiddle...so to speak. Does what I need it to do and if one views it for what is, a budget minded practice amp, then I think they'll be pleasantly surprised.

I've been using my stock HSS American Special Strat through it and am getting some nice jazz, blues, classic rock, and grunge tones. It doesn't do CHUNKA CHUNKA quite as well, but then, I wouldn't expect it too. However, that hasn't stopped me from spending a little time messing around with those settings. :D What kind of setup are you guys using?

• Members

Modeling technology keeps getting better and better and is surprising a lot of people. Although it's not exactly the same, this amp is more versatile than your AC30 and will give you a ton of stuff to play around with. Enjoy it!
:thu:
It looks like a lot of fun!

True enough. I remember most solid state practice amps sounded like garbage to my ears, back in the day. Not so much anymore. Certainly not the holy grail of combo amps, but it's a fun piece.

• Members
have you played it loud yet? I have a VT30 which sounds great at low volumes but as I turn it up it starts to sound very thin and harsh and nothing I do to the eq controls helps.

I've gigged with my AD30VT many times. It sounds pretty good thru a decent 2x12 cab. And definitely loud enough for the stage.

• Members
I haven't maxed it out or anything, but I have been playing it as loud as I can stand it. Seems to sound better the louder it gets...

Have you tried some of the suggestions from the valvtronix.net forum? There is a whole FAQ over there with answers to stuff like that.

yep, I've found that the punch comes in nicely when you dial them up a bit.

• Members

I almost always play through basic tube amps, but yeah, I dig modeling stuff.

I had an AD30VT that I thought was solid, had a VT15 that I definitely thought sounded better at low volumes than higher volumes and played several hours through one of the 1x12 Blue VTXs that I thought sounded great at almost any volume level. Still have an original Tonelab that I think sounds absolutely great. AND have a DA5 that I put an 8" speaker in that I think is about the perfect 'practice' amp in that it can cover almost any style I need to work on.

I dig the Vox stuff but haven't seen any of the + versions yet. Highly unlikely to buy one but definitely want to check them out.

• Members

I swapped an Eminence Ragin' Cajun into my VT30, and it was well worth it. I don't crank it often - have tube amps for that - but it definitely lost that thinness you mention if I do. Normal bedroom volume is also greatly improved - more full and more pleasing to my ear.

After a year plus, I still really dig this little modeler. Enough that when my son borrowed it for a couple months, I started to really miss having it around.

The only situations I can think of getting rid of this amp are if (or when?) it dies, or to get a newer model.

• Members

I had a VT30 for quite a while, and I loved it. Swapped it for a Mustang II - mainly cause I just wanted to try something new. But I loved the VT30, and played it a LOT. HNAD.

Discounting the USB deal (that sounds pretty cool) on the Fender, and strictly speaking of sound quality, how does the Mustang II stack up? Noticeable improvement, or just another decent modeler?

Archived