Cracked neck??(pics) Or.....

outforblood

• Members

That is not a crack. You can tell if it is a crack pretty easily. It would go all the way around to the fretboard, or down the back as well (depending how it broke). Think about how easy it is to tell if there are two pieces glued together.

• Members

The yellowing can wood glue. The place where it occurs is neck break/fracture territory. I've done alot of neck break repairs before but I'd have to see it up close to be sure. That doesnt look like an original finish either which also makes me suspicious. In a fracture where no wood is lost you can do a refair that transparent and with the right undercoating make it nearly invisable. In either case, if it was a fracture the repair was a real pro job and shouldnt give you any problems. Glued wood is actually stronger then unglued if its done right.

• Members

Interesting thread. From the pics it looks to me like the grain structure continues across that line without any interruption. My guess is that this neck blank came from the outside of the tree, and that this was some kind of damage that was done to the tree a long time before it was harvested. It healed up, but left the blemish. It does look like it should have been a second or a blem, when it left the factory.

• Members

The yellowing can wood glue. The place where it occurs is neck break/fracture territory. I've done alot of neck break repairs before but I'd have to see it up close to be sure. That doesnt look like an original finish either which also makes me suspicious. In a fracture where no wood is lost you can do a refair that transparent and with the right undercoating make it nearly invisable. In either case, if it was a fracture the repair was a real pro job and shouldnt give you any problems. Glued wood is actually stronger then unglued if its done right.

That looks like a perfectly fine ORIGINAL Gibson SG Faded finish to me, in brown to be exact.

Now, does the fretboard have dots or crescent moons?

• Members

The SG has dot inlays unfortunately.
:cry:
I've always dug the moon inlays on the faded, too bad they're getting harder to find.

Fortunately there are no rough spots where the "blemish" is, it's silky smooth. (I love the neck on these SG's)

Yeah, I'm gonna go with weird grain pattern. I mean, look at all the newer Martins with the "bearclaws" on the tops. They named a flaw.

Archived