Amp & effect pairings with Gibson ES 335

peacemover

• Members

After much saving of pennies, and trying many a cheaper "knock off" 335-wannabe models (Epi dot, Sheraton, Arbour, etc), I am finally springing for the real article. Yes, that lovely red lady in the picture, will soon be mine (with my "extra" pay from April)...

What I want to know from players out there who gig and/or record with a Gibson ES 335, what amp do you use with it, and what effects pedals do you like to use with it?

I am leaning heavily toward a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III- 40 watt, 3 channel, 1x12 tube amp. Pedals I currently have that I anticipate using with it (sparingly for those "special moments" of course) are:

-dunlop crybaby wah

-Line 6 DL4 delay modeler with expression pedal

-Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer

-Ernie Ball volume pedal

-Boss DD6 delay

-Boss RV-5 digital reverb pedal

-Boss TU-2 tuner

-foot switch that comes with the amp (if I go with the Fender HR Deluxe)

Stylistically I play a wide variety of musical genres including jazz, blues, rock, funk, gospel, etc.

What amp do you use, and what is on your pedal board?

Thanks much!

• Members

Yeah- I heard a few incredible electric blues guitarists gig with just the 335 and a good tube amp with a foot switch... you can get good tone variation from the instrument itself, depending on what you want to do with it, then just tap the foot switch to kick it to the drive channel to solo with some meaty overdrive...

• Members

Just my .02...

Your amp choice is great, but it'll be helluloud for recording or practice. While it's not necessarily quieter, I used to own a Peavey Delta Blues 1x15, which I'd HIGHLY recommend
:)

Agreed on the loud factor with that particular amp- but that is true with most powerful tube amps. When I tried it out in the store, it was filling the whole place up and turning heads with it turned up only to 4... on the "clean" channel.

Is the Peavey Delta Blues 1x15 a tube amp? How about channels does it have clean and drive channels with some sort of a foot switch so you can easily switch it while gigging?

• Members

I agree, my Sheraton isn't a 335. It's in the same general style though and the two amps I have now I chose because they sounded best of all the amps I've owned with it. They are a Music Man 65 w/EL34's and two Celestion G12-75's and an Ampeg J20 Jet. Both sound vastly better to me with the Sheraton than the HRD I used to own. I haven't tried the HRD III.

I did have all of the following:

Peavey Classic 30

Peavey Delta Blues

Fender Blues Jr

Crate Vintage Club 30 and 20

DRRI, TRRI

Silvertone 1482

Danelectro Centurion

Vox AC4TV and probably a couple others that I can't remember at the moment.

• Members

I use my Gibson 335 in live scenarios through an Egnater Tweaker (15w) a JCM900 (100w) in the studio. The guitar absolutely shines running through either.

and a Digitech RP100 for fx btw. I run the Tweaker in the RP's amp loop, so it's not all demojofied by the digital whatnot :p

• Members

Agreed on the loud factor with that particular amp- but that is true with most powerful tube amps. When I tried it out in the store, it was filling the whole place up and turning heads with it turned up only to 4... on the "clean" channel.

Is the Peavey Delta Blues 1x15 a tube amp? How about channels does it have clean and drive channels with some sort of a foot switch so you can easily switch it while gigging?

yes to all your questions...here's a vid clip of a guy using no pedals, a strat and then an ES 335

[video=youtube;UruTS4ACrj0]

• Members

I'd strongly suggest that you purchase it IN PERSON because ES335's can sound like solid bodied guitars if they are too heavy. A lot of them weigh in at close to 9 pounds these days. Mine is just over 8, and it took 4 years before it started to open up and sound like a semi.

If you do buy from an internet retailer, go with someone like Wildwood. They have photos of each individual guitar along with their weights. Get a light one.

• Members

I have a 335-like guitar, and it sounds great through every Fender or Music Man I've ever put it through. But it sounds glorious through my AC30 clone.

I have all kinds of pedals on my board, but the winner amongst the drives with this combo is my old 70's MXR distortion +. I really like short slapback delays and tremolo effects with semi-hollows too.

A guitarist I used to play with used to play an upgraded Dot through a pair of tube screamers into a Mesa DC10. Awesome combo.

• Members

I just picked up a vintage peavey classic 20, the clean tones paired with my 335 is amazing.

I play a lot of alternative/ambient style music

Pedals I am using are

TC Polytune

Ernie Ball Junior Volume

MXR Custom Comp

Fulltone Fulldrive 2 (Comp Cut Mode)

TC Hall Of Fame Reverb

Boss DD20

MXR Anaolg Delay

BBE Sonic Stomp

• Members

I'd strongly suggest that you purchase it IN PERSON because ES335's can sound like solid bodied guitars if they are too heavy. A lot of them weigh in at close to 9 pounds these days. Mine is just over 8, and it took 4 years before it started to open up and sound like a semi.

If you do buy from an internet retailer, go with someone like Wildwood. They have photos of each individual guitar along with their weights. Get a light one.

Me thinks the OP is in for a rude awakening real soon.

• Members

A big fat +1 on this. I've had 5 semis of various makes and the variety is staggering. 335s should never be bought sight unseen.

As for the amp/effects question. I'd say you're set as effects go. The HRD is a good choice for an affordable amp, but if you're after a clean platform the Deluxe Reverb is even better imho

• Members

Personally, I'd drop the reverb pedals, especially with a Fender combo. I like as short a signal path as possible because you'll load down the pickups with too many pedals, and your clean sound will be poopy. Keep it to wah->overdrive->delay.

• Members

I dont have a 335, the body size makes my elbow rest uncomfortably. I use a Hamer USA Artist (a smaller body semi hollow with Seth lovers, PG mod).

My favourite tones are going through a Divided by 13 Joyride, into a Wampler Faux Spring Reverb, into a Fuchs Blackjack 21.

• Members

What do you mean?

Because as DocJeffrey and Faber mentioned, there is a huge variety between models and even examples of the same model from the same brand. A 335 should never be bought unseen. In my opinion, the truth is you should play as many 335 types as you can possibly get your hands on (and I don't mean 10 or 12). You'll feel and hear a big difference between every single one you play.

Just because it's the "real article" as you mentioned, is no guarantee, just like the brand and price aren't either. Semi hollows, just like acoustics have to be handpicked. With semi hollows, more than any other electric guitar, it comes down to the individual instrument and neither brand nor price, within reason, will have much to do with it.

On the other hand, a good example of some of those "knock off 335-wannabe models" you mentioned, can easily kick a 335's ass, especially if upgraded. You can find videos posted right here on HCEG demonstrating exactly that quite well. I'd rather play a real good Dot or Sheraton than a bad 335 any day.

Since you're about to lay down a fair chunk of your hard earned cash, I really would suggest extending your search, until you find the one and have played as many semihollows as possible so you get a really, really good idea of what to look for. Play each with total disregard for brand, price and pre conceived notions. Your hands and ears will tell you the whole story.

I'm a big semihollow fan and have owned dozens. With enough cash always available for the purchase and surely enough to assure my wife would have a complete melt down, I hardly ever walked into a guitar store without trying several out during my long, long, search for that special one. I played many 335 but most times walked away disappointed. The ones that I did like were above the $4,000 to $5,000 that I had decided would be my absolute top limit. At that time I had a very sweet and heavily modded Sheraton at home to compare them with but none made the cut.

Finally, I stumbled across a Yamaha SA2200 that was simply the best semihollow I had ever played. Out came the wallet and the guitar came home. I've had it for over three years now and it still amazes me every time I pick it up. I was under the impression that the honeymoon phase would end after a while but no.

Of course, your tastes and needs will be different from mine. You may prefer one brand over another but all I'm suggesting, is that you take your time so you don't get that rude awakening I mentioned. Best of luck on your search and I don't hope you get a good one. I hope you find a GREAT one!

:thu:

Archived