please help with my brothers pre-73 es 335 value

flyinbryan

• Members

due to recent hard luck we need to sell my brothers gibson es335. i will describe it to the best of my ability, and will be able to add pics in the next day or so, probably wednesday because we have a funeral to attend tommorow, 3/22.

we do not know the exact year of the guitar, but he bought it used in apprx 1973. it is reddish in color. it has blocks in the neck, and not the dots. the pickgaurd is missing.

the label inside appears to be the original orange sticker, with a very rough looking handwritten serial number 11xxx.

we believe the tuners and pickups to be original.

thankyou for any opinions. bryan.

p.s., are there specific areas of the guitar that should be photographed? or just a bunch of overall pics from various angles?

• Members

thx for all the replies so far guys. here are a few pics. IT DOES NOT HAVE PAF PICKUPS, IT HAS THE STICKERS THAT LOOK LIKE PAF'S BUT IT HAS THE PAT. # ON THEM.. so i didnt bother taking picks of them. we are sure that they are original to the guitar though.

os3edited.jpg
os2edited.jpg
os1edited.jpg
os4.jpg
bckbdy1.jpg
bckbdy4.jpg

more coming.

• Members

LATEST UPDATE.

i cant believe we missed it, but it is almost undetectable, and i havent made it out yet, but there is a serial number on the back of the headstock. i cant even make it out well enough to see how many figures it is. it is hard to describe. the characters look legible, but it seems to be behind the finish of something, like its behind the clear or something? it has a holographic effect going. at first i saw a 3 and an 8, when the light hit it just right, now im seeing other numbers but havent made them out. i will photograph it tommorow, and see if i can use the flash to make them come through.

ps, it does not have the original case. it actually has an older gibson 335 hard case. story behind that is this. my father bought my brother an es335, brand new, in the late 60s. that guitar was stolen from my brothers house in 73, but they didnt take the case. the guitar was on a stand and the case was in the closet, and they only took the guitar. my bro then goes and buys this guitar used in 73 at a small music shop in pleasant grove tx, (dallas suburb), and has kept it in the same case since then.

• Members

figured id add this. this was a reply from another site, and i figure i would just add it here.

the sticker is a 5 digit number. it is so crappy looking that i cant imagine the actual number being authentic, but i do know its been on there since my brother bought it in 73..... ive wondered if it has been replaced, and the guy that did it for whatever reason didnt do his job. it is worth noting that in the other hole, there is another very old sticker, oval in shape, and it says "baldwin music company, 221 grape st., abilene texas" and a phone number from when they were using 2 letters followed by 5 digits. the ph number looks like this. OR4-2471 (that is the actual ph number)

drew, tele, gadzooka, frankie,,,,, thankyou.

there is another discouraging thing we have found. if you noticed that there is no lower screw in the headstock plate, its because the wood behind it is chips away and it wont hold a screw. im sure its fixable, but im not going to mess w-it, and be upfront as i can about its condition to any prospective buyer.

the guitar feels incredible in my hands. it plays as easily as my gibson.
(1959 gibson es175d -w- 2 original paf pickups)

i might just put it up for around 2200-2400, and work from there.

• Members

tried it, but u cant feel them, and it doesnt transmit to the paper.

twisting and turning it evry which way from sunday, in a bright light, it is definitely a 6 digit number.
it is 3, something, 3, 1, x, x.

so 3?31XX. humorously, the easiest to detect are the last two.

• Members

i must have missed the "whats with the broken pick guard" question.

my brother told that at first it broke near the bracket, and he glued it back together, then later while playing with some friends at a little store out in the boonies, that everyone had too much to drink, it got knocked off the stand, and when he picked it up, it had broken where it was glued back together and near the screw shown in the pictures.

Archived