Kickstarter

MikeRivers

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here's a pretty cool and timely use of Kickstarter...

Occupy Wall Street Newspaper Raises $54,000 on Kickstarter

They were hoping to raise $12,000.
:)

I wondered how they funded those free smoked salmon meals I heard about on the news today.

All the street bums have shown up looking for free meals and drugs. I heard the news people cant

even get close to them without choking because theres so much excrement on the street there.

If that 54K was being used to help those people with their drug problems, I might throw in a few bucks.

I think the one in Houston fizzed out in a day. I think even the bums are smarter here.

Nobody walks the streets in Houston, all the people use the underground sidewalk system.

All they could do is block traffic and I dont think the rednecks in pickups would tolerate that.

Cops dont hastle the working man and if you're obeying the law you're good.

Streets are all on cam corders 24/7 so they'd be nailed for any drug or open alcohol use.

The studd going on in NY with people deficating on cop cars and the streets wouldnt last for a second.

If they're willing to go to jail with a goal is to get something for free, Houstons all too willing to accomodate.

They get great health care, three meals a day and even a job working on a chain gang on the county farm.

• 4 weeks later...
  • CMS Author

I hadn't heard of it until an old friend sent out an e-mail about a piece she had written and was looking to record it (in a real studio, for real money). She's trying this system to collect donations toward the project.

My friend was pleased to report that over this weekend her Kickstarter goal was met so she'll get the money for her project. She's already started designing the T shirts and is getting the score printed. Recording starts in January.

I watched the PBS special "Give Me The Banjo" Friday night and i noticed in the credits that it, too, got partial support through Kickstarter, so it's not just for small time musicicians.

• Members

If you dont have that faith, well, I guess thats where my beef comes in where its can be seen as a form of charity unless the individual succeeds.

Without pressue to plan well so the venture succeeds, what can you call it.

A grant? Maybe an excercise in entrepreneurialism?

Unless theres a solid chance of success I cant see it being called an investment of any kind.

I agree. I would have a hard time asking people for money to help me achieve some sort of personal goal whether it be a recording or a business. If I`m serious about a business, I go to the bank and get a loan. If I`m making a record and don`t have the cash, I`m definitely not asking other people for the cash.

I understand you can use Kickstarter anyway you want but to me, theres a really fine line between charity donation and investment in some cases. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, if the money is going towards a classroom for kids, then its a charity I`m willing to help out. My wife, an Educator for 20 years, has had years when she put hundreds of her own dollars into the classroom for books. Its not right but it is what it is. In order to do her job, she needed books!

I wish we knew about Kickstarter then...

I think it really comes down to what Lee said...

"...deciding between funding somebody's CD on Kickstarter and donating money for someone's brain surgery is no different from deciding whether to donate money for brain surgery vs. going out for sushi. Either you have the money to do both, or you choose between them, and often as not you, like most of us, choose to spend money on things for yourself or your kid. If that thing happens to be a CD by an artist you like, which otherwise couldn't get made if you didn't buy it in advance, it's really not any different from any other purchase."

Thats really it. Kickstarter is like any other .com. They want your commerce/$$$. Whether you decided to spend it on someones recording project or brain surgery is really up to you, like it or not.

• Members

Not to be critical, but I think this discussion is not well informed wrt kicksterter. They don't do personal causes, charities or "fund my life".

http://www.kickstarter.com/help/guidelines

They are explicitly for aligning funding creative projects.

The classic example would be the creator of a popular web comic who already has enough of a following to justify a print edition. Rather than going through a publisher, the fans can pre-order a copy at no risk and the creator can gather funding, also at no risk.

So in that case, it's just a way for projects (which could fund themselves already) to gather funding; there is no begging or patronage or charity, just a system of pre-funding.

As a model it works really well for projects where there is an established interest in a product but no existing capital to create the project.

• Members

Not to be critical, but I think this discussion is not well informed wrt kicksterter. They don't do personal causes, charities or "fund my life".

Not to be critical, but we know that. We just said that we would be more likely to donate money to, say, a documentary film that drew light to a particular cause that could help people or things of that nature. People keep reading into this erroneously, saying that we are saying that Kickstarter is a charity (it's not), that it only supports charity (it doesn't), or that we are telling people what to do (we don't).

• Members

Not to be critical, but we know that. We just said that we would be more likely to donate money to, say, a documentary film that drew light to a particular cause that could help people or things of that nature. People keep reading into this erroneously, saying that we are saying that Kickstarter is a charity (it's not), that it only supports charity (it doesn't), or that we are telling people what to do (we don't).

Point taken.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I wondered how they funded those free smoked salmon meals I heard about on the news today.

All the street bums have shown up looking for free meals and drugs. I heard the news people cant

even get close to them without choking because theres so much excrement on the street there.

If that 54K was being used to help those people with their drug problems, I might throw in a few bucks.

I think the one in Houston fizzed out in a day. I think even the bums are smarter here.

Nobody walks the streets in Houston, all the people use the underground sidewalk system.

All they could do is block traffic and I dont think the rednecks in pickups would tolerate that.

Cops dont hastle the working man and if you're obeying the law you're good.

Streets are all on cam corders 24/7 so they'd be nailed for any drug or open alcohol use.

The studd going on in NY with people deficating on cop cars and the streets wouldnt last for a second.

If they're willing to go to jail with a goal is to get something for free, Houstons all too willing to accomodate.

They get great health care, three meals a day and even a job working on a chain gang on the county farm.

I think you are misinformed. And I think you're afraid these people may be onto something.

Archived