What is a warm sound?

gnr2391

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The waves we are talking about all travel at the same speed... the speed of sound.

The distance between them gets closer together as the frequency rises but they still travel at the same speed.

More wave crests go by per second, but they are still traveling at the same speed.

If you're talking about how fast a wave goes BY, that's the period, and it takes a shorter amount of time for one wave cycle to pass as frequency goes up and wavelength gets smaller...

If you're talking about how fast a sound wave GOES, that's the speed of sound and is constant.

IMO it's pretty arbitrary... I'm just gonna tune my guitar

• Members

This is a warm sound, very warm.

explosion.gif

I had the unfortunate chance of witnessing the explosion of a car bomb in Budapest the week I turned 40. It happened in the next street, about 150 meters from where I stood. Two things struck me: one was the eerie silence that followed (not the screaming and yelling I would have imagined) and the second, in reply to your post, how extremely high pitched and short the sound of it was, a sound that can only described as COLD. Not the usual Hollywood low pitch sound effect applied to explosions in movies. Four dead (so I heard in the news later that evening).

• Members

The waves we are talking about all travel at the same speed... the speed of sound.

The distance between them gets closer together as the frequency rises but they still travel at the same speed.

More wave crests go by per second, but they are still traveling at the same speed.

If you're talking about how fast a wave goes BY, that's the period, and it takes a shorter amount of time for one wave cycle to pass as frequency goes up and wavelength gets smaller...

If you're talking about how fast a sound wave GOES, that's the speed of sound and is constant.

IMO it's pretty arbitrary... I'm just gonna tune my guitar

Alrighty then. As long as you don't tune UP.

• Members

I had the unfortunate chance of witnessing the explosion of a car bomb in Budapest the week I turned 40. It happened in the next street, about 150 meters from where I stood. Two things struck me: one was the eerie silence that followed (not the screaming and yelling I would have imagined) and the second, in reply to your post, how extremely high pitched and short the sound of it was, a sound that can only described as COLD. Not the usual Hollywood low pitch sound effect applied to explosions in movies. Four dead (so I heard in the news later that evening).

I am very sorry that you went through such a traumatic experience. I hope my attempt at humour didn't cause you any emotional discomfort. Regards, Steadfastly

• Members

I am very sorry that you went through such a traumatic experience. I hope my attempt at humour didn't cause you any emotional discomfort. Regards, Steadfastly

Oh don't worry. Your humour was good. I wasn't traumatised by it but it does give the daily TV news a different meaning...

• Members

Frequency = waves per second.

Amplitude = the size of the wave forms.

(Tempo = beats per second and is usually associated with a mechanical occurance like a metronome or clock, not sound itself)

You can increase or decrease amplitude without changing freqency.

You can increase or decrease frequency without changing amplitude.

They are two completely different things. One is based in time and the other in size

When someone says A440HZ, the definition of "Hertz" is waves per second, no more no less.

Amplitude can be measured in "Decibels" for hearing and audio volume scales or volts when measuring the electrical wave heights.

• Members

I had the unfortunate chance of witnessing the explosion of a car bomb in Budapest the week I turned 40. It happened in the next street, about 150 meters from where I stood...

It was a mob hit. More than 10 years later, they caught the perpetrators in the Czech Republic:

http://www.caboodle.hu/nc/news/news_archive/single_page/article/11/budapest_bom/

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9907E0DB163EF930A35754C0A96E958260

• Members
It was a mob hit. More than 10 years later, they caught the perpetrators in the Czech Republic:

http://www.caboodle.hu/nc/news/news_archive/single_page/article/11/budapest_bom/

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9907E0DB163EF930A35754C0A96E958260

Thanks for that, Radar. I've got to show this to my wife. She was with me and saw all the windows shake on the buildings from that side of the explosion.

Archived