Buying a 60's tribute sg, but want a more durable finish, what do I do??

Bryce_dude13

• Members

After I sell my Jazzmaster I'm going to get a worn white 60's tribute. The only problem I have is the delicate finish. Are the finishes on the faded Gibsons a lot more delicate then the regular glossy finishes?

The only reason I want a more durable finish is so that I can play the hell out of the thing! I don't want the wear to show up in a year or two. And the faded gibsons all look pretty tacky when worn out in my opinion. If it shows up in 10 years of constant use, then I'll be fine with it.

I also want a slightly more glossy finish. Not a whole lot more glossy than what I've seen in pictures of the guitar, but just a slight sheen.

So what do I do? Is there a way I can shoot nitro over the existing finish? And if so, is it a very extensive process? Or is the finish almost as durable as the standard glossy finishes as it is?

Thanks in advance!

• Members

If, as I suspect, the faded finish is just a thin layer of nitro, couldn't you just fill and finish it as is? Based on what I've read (but never attempted), shooting a coat or two of nitro onto mahogany before the filler is common practice. Or is there more to Gibson's faded finishes?

• Members

Yes, the finish is uber-delicate (I chipped some of it off with the back of my fingernail), and if the 60's Tribute is like my 50's Tribute, it's factory pre-worn in spots. Using polish on it will add a tiny bit of sheen but will not make the finish any more durable. Sounds like what you need is a few coats of clear semi-gloss lacquer to give the guitar more protection. That can take 1-6 months to properly harden. Plenty of info on TDPRI about finishes.

• Members

Anyone else? I've heard that the faded gibsons are great for learning how to refinish as they have all the preliminary things done already.

No, the primarily step is what they skip...the grain filler.

• Members

I just got a Faded Classic, and I really like the thin finish, I just wish that faded cherry was darker. Considering polishing mine and maybe doing something to stain it. I don't REALLY mind the open grain. I will say that mine is very alive sounding unplugged, I'm sure this is partially due to almost non-existent finish. So: try the 60's tribute, you may really like the sound

• Members

I've put aside all of my thick nitro and poly finish guitars and play ONLY my Gibson faded series (Les Paul and V) and SG 60s tribute which does have a different finish than the faded series but is still thin, kind of a satin finish and my black one has zero pre worn factory spots. The necks are awesome on them. But they are delicate, so if you are worried about dents, scratches, dings, and even places getting worn down to the raw wood, they won't be for you. But to me, they sound and play great and I love a naturally reliced guitar. My LP has a couple of spots where the wood has been more exposed and it looks super cool. But I play it a lot!

Archived