Stupid question - Angled plug on instrument cables?

scolfax

• Members

I've always used straight plugs on my instrument cables. But I'm about to get a new one and was curious about angled plugs.

- Why were angled plugs originally introduced? What problem do they solve?

and probably related:

- Why is it common to see a cable with a straight side and an angled side? Why not two angled sides?

I have a Strat and a Hamer, so one jack is on the front and the other on the side. Not sure which type of plugs to get.

• Members

1. They save space, especially on pedal boards and things like that. They also make a lot of sense for guitars with side jacks, like LPs, or front jacks, like Jazzmasters.

2. Usually you don't care about the end that gets plugged into an amp, and a lot of amps actually don't have the clearance for an angled jack.

• Members

Ergonomics and avoiding unnecessary stresses to the connection at the plug. My main guitar is a Jaguar which has the jack flush with the top. A straight plug would stick out from the body and get in the way of my tremolo arm when I rotate it out of the way so I use an angled plug that lets the cable sits flush with the body. The other end of the cable going into the amp has a straight plug so that the cable comes out straight and avoids the undue stress of having a turn there. If I'm running a pedalboard, I usually have straight plugs going in and leaving the board with angled plugs in between.

• Members

You want a straight plug for the Strat because of the recess, angled jack. As noted the angled plugs fit, but will have to stick up out the front.

Angle plugs are great for guitars with flush front jacks, you'll find quite a few SG's and other guitars that were damaged when falling flat on a straight plug.

They also work great for guitars like Te'els, because they point the cable right up to where you over the strap pin.

• Members

I think they were invented partly to help the chord from falling out of the guitar jack and/or to help prevent the fragile top of a hollow(ish) guitar from cracking when the chord is stepped on.

Also, it's a little neater looking on side mount guitars when when fed through your strap. Looks tidier on top mounted jack hollows period. Doesn't work well with Strats, and it's almost impossible to use with the traditional, recessed, cup-shaped, mounting ring on most Tele jacks.

• Members

I use the new style switchcraft angled jacks on most of my cords. They are one piece build that will last a lifetime and have no problem on a strat other than they stick up a bit. Most wrap their cord through their strap anyway so its really a non issue other than how it looks.

Angled jacks are the cure for guitars like a Les Paul where you would might sit playing the instrument. It angles the cord so it isnt sticking out digging into a chair, damaging the jack and making playing inconfortable. It also makes the cord pretty invisable when wrapped through a strap. If you have both type guitars, just get a cord with an angled on one end and straight on the other.

• Members

amp.jpg

This is why I like angled jacks. Already discussed, but the home made cable holder, made from a velcro Rat Shack cable tie, works great. I can put it in the case this way. I almost never comes out of the git..

• Members

But now your guitar has a third nipple.
:o

I built the guitar. If I want a 3rd nipple, I'll install a 3rd nipple. BTW I wish I could meet a woman with a 3rd nipple. One in the small of her back. May look funny, but she sure would be fun to slow dance with.

• Members

I built the guitar. If I want a 3rd nipple, I'll install a 3rd nipple. BTW I wish I could meet a woman with a 3rd nipple. One in the small of her back. May look funny, but she sure would be fun to slow dance with.

Dang dude! Put a fourth one back there and I'd dance all night!

:love:

:lol:

Archived