Humbuckers in tele necks

twotimingpete

• Members

Been thinking about trying something a bit different in my tele neck. What sort of humbucker goes well in a tele, keeping in mind it needs to balance with a tele sc bridge? any suggestions?

was looking at a bgbucker, possibly, the main drawback being the 8 week wait!

• Members

I like a PAF ("Gibson") in the neck position, I like a Fender Wide-Range humbucker in the neck position, I even like a Strat pickup in the neck position as well, but my all-time favorite non-Tele pickup in the neck position (matched up with a standard Tele single coil bridge pickup) is a Firebird mini-humbucking pickup.

A Firebird mini-humbucking pickup has most of the great characteristics of a single coil pickup -- the nice harmonics, brightness, and clarity -- but no hum and a bit thicker sounding. Also, I like the Firebird pickup better than the mini-humbucker used in the Les Paul Deluxe.

Below is a Fender Vintage Hot Rod '52 Tele that uses a Seymour Duncan Firebird pickup. You can try one of these out at Guitar Center.

0100232850_frt_wmd_001.jpg

• Members

I like a PAF ("Gibson") in the neck position, I like a Fender Wide-Range humbucker in the neck position, I even like a Strat pickup in the neck position as well, but my all-time favorite non-Tele pickup in the neck position (matched up with a standard Tele single coil bridge pickup) is a Firebird mini-humbucking pickup.

A Firebird mini-humbucking pickup has most of the great characteristics of a single coil pickup -- the nice harmonics, brightness, and clarity -- but no hum and a bit thicker sounding. Also, I like the Firebird pickup better than the mini-humbucker used in the Les Paul Deluxe.

Below is a Fender Vintage Hot Rod '52 Tele that uses a Seymour Duncan Firebird pickup. You can try one of these out at Guitar Center.

0100232850_frt_wmd_001.jpg

I think it's the SM1.

Edit:

I looked it up and the SM1 is a replica of the Firebird pup. All I can say is that it hooks up very well with the factory bridge pup and it has a nice fat tone to it, no noise and somehow still manages to sound like a Telecaster.

:thu:

• Members

Been thinking about trying something a bit different in my tele neck. What sort of humbucker goes well in a tele, keeping in mind it needs to balance with a tele sc bridge? any suggestions?

was looking at a bgbucker, possibly, the main drawback being the 8 week wait!

This has an underwound BG bucker in the neck and would well be worth triple that wait. In fact, I think I did wait eight weeks, and I'm happier than a pig in shit.

redtele.jpg

• Members

I put a Tonerider Rocksong in the neck of my CV tele, blends very well with the stock bridge pickpup. Thats with the original 250k pots. No tap. I did the TDPRI "Fez mod" as well (move the wire on the volume pot to the middle lug) to open up the tone some.

e0OYFc1tqJM6PdZx3jA4--VEbwnD7GmOibiK7XL5

green_fez_mod.jpg

I was gonna have Bryan wind me one, but the Tonerider came up in the spam thread for cheap.

• Members

I know you didn't ask, but...

Honestly, never been a fan of neck humbuckers in teles. Single-coil in the neck just sounds right. I'm really digging the twisted tele pickup in my baja tele.

Now, in the bridge pos of a tele, I really like the Seymour Duncan hot rails for Tele - great pickup, and sounds great tapped as well.

• Members

If you don't get one that is especially bright for a humbucker, then you'll likely have one that sounds muddy with your amp settings for the bridge. I have an HH strat that requires me to crank up the treble on my amp when I switch from even my p90 guitar. My SSS strat requires me to roll it back a bit. While switching guitars and twidding knobs go hand in hand, switching pickups and having those additional duties bugs me. That is why I quit using my HSS kramer way back when. There was no goldilocks balance between the too-bright singles and the muddy HB.

I had one of those tele customs like keth richards plays and I thought it was mostly useless. Why would I want an icepick through the brain bridge pickup and an underwater rhythm pickup?

• Members

^^ Yeah, I'm very attracted by a tele custom, but that is always my concern too - perhaps just a bit too much contrast between teh two settings, which makes eq-ing the amp a bit tricky. I even find that when I use the fourth position on my baja tele - it needs some of the bass cut.

However, I would suggest a very low output and trebly voiced neck humbucker would be the way to go.

• Members

Don Mare (tele PUP making guru)recommends getting a Seth Lover PAF (or any good unpotted low output PAF-style pickup) and having it unwound to around 7K.

Zangbucker makes pickups specifcally for Teles that are like 6-7K, and they are cheap like $90, on sale as low as $80. Sounds like BG is doing something similar....

But Im with the others that say neck buckers are overrated. Instead get a 4way and do in series for a pseudo-bucker sound-its like the middle position with balls. Very usefull and you retain the amazing trad neck pickup.

I have a Rumpelstiltskin 1950 black rope set which has an overwound (+12K) ballsy broadcatser bridge matched with a really open sounding neck pickup, nickel-silver covers really make a difference-its like removing the cover.

• Members

I even find that when I use the fourth position on my baja tele - it needs some of the bass cut.

OT, but I do too. I like having the 4-way switch, but I do find the two in series is pretty bassy. I do find the tone control on the baja is really usable through a very wide range (more so then w/other guitars), so I tend set my amp bright, and roll back on the baja tone control, bringing it up to 10 when using the series selection on the 4-way. Also, *love* that out-of-phase tone w/the in-series setting (which isn't that bassy).

Anyway, sorry for derailing the thread.

Back on-topic, my first tele (which I wish to this day I had back), was a '77 tele custom w/a wide range humbucker in the neck - that pickup was definitely NOT muddy and sounded great. If you can find one of those pickups (or better yet, a whole guitar!), grab it.

• Members

Back on-topic, my first tele (which I wish to this day I had back), was a '77 tele custom w/a wide range humbucker in the neck - that pickup was definitely NOT muddy and sounded great. If you can find one of those pickups (or better yet, a whole guitar!), grab it.

The tele I had was a total turd. 100% of the worst you hear about CBS fenders. Heavy. {censored}ty frets. {censored}ty 3-bolt neck. The bridge pickup sounded like a tele and was usable, but that neck PU was hugely disappointing. I played blues at the time and I couldn't use it for anything. That said, I haven't heard it since about 1989. Maybe my ears would like the sound now. BAck then, it didn't sound good clean, dirty or anywhere in between. But I would love to have it now and sell it for the $2k I see them for. I sold it for $175 to bill crook and he said he quickly sold it for $200 to some other sucker because it was such a piece of {censored}. Probably has a bunch of stickers on it now in some trailer park in the ohio valley and is someone's prized possession.

• Members

Probably has a bunch of stickers on it now in some trailer park in the ohio valley and is someone's prized possession.

And now that he/she is famous on the Interwebz I want to hear clips of em! I bet they rock...

• Members

I think I mainly just want to experiment. I'm actually thinking right now I'd like to get a duncan sm-1n if I can find a decent deal on one or a used one.

[video=youtube;k_v-7km8FrI]

doesn't seem out of balance with the bridge pickup to me -- judging from the various video demos, anyway.

btw, that 52 hot rod telecaster is drool worthy.

• Members

I think I mainly just want to experiment. I'm actually thinking right now I'd like to get a duncan sm-1n if I can find a decent deal on one or a used one.

doesn't seem out of balance with the bridge pickup to me -- judging from the various video demos, anyway.

btw, that 52 hot rod telecaster is drool worthy.

They feel great to play too. I think Black Hunter has a few demos over at it site where he makes it sounds good too. Although he got rid of his because he didn't like the neck, I love the neck on mine.

• Members

Anyone paired a full sized 59 with a lil 59? The lil 59 is obviously different from a standard tele bridge pup and I need something to match it better. The humbucker I've got in there is stock tex/mex - which is OK but I'd like a change.

Archived