GC policy

danbomb

• Members

Oh noes!!!! Now I have to pay the marked price just like in every other store
:rolleyes:

If you'd rather pay $2000 for a guitar you could get elsewhere for $1600 or less, feel free to do so. I'd rather have the $400+ in my pocket to use for something else...

• Members

Been playing for only three years, and both "local" GCs are about an hour away, while I have 4-5 mom and pop stores close by, ranging from OK to damn good. I have yet to even enter a GC and am in
no hurry
to.

You're not missing anything...

• Members

I was still haggling in February... When did this NO DISCOUNTS policy start?

I've heard people reporting it going back a couple years now, but apparently it depends on your store and what they are willing to do.

• Members

If you'd rather pay $2000 for a guitar you could get elsewhere for $1600 or less, feel free to do so. I'd rather have the $400+ in my pocket to use for something else...

nope I would rather just go somewhere else that has the right price....

speak with your wallet, if you dont like a store's price structure, shop somewhere else

• Members

I guess I'm out of touch but to me this is part of the fun when buying an instrument from a place like GC. I have only bought a few guitars new in my life and want the whole experience that leads to the kill. I have bought most of my guitars used off craigslist and recycler over the years. Hell I made a pretty good living for a while buying off craigslist and selling on Ebay.
I have looked pretty hard for a used powerjet and have had no luck. The other issue I have is pulling the frets and buying TV jones filtertrons to upgrade a regular jet. I refretted a Country Classic and upgraded the electronics only to lose it in a divorce and that left a bad taste in my mouth. I try to get guitars that are closer to what I want now rather than upgrading.

• Members

nope I would rather just go somewhere else that has the right price....

speak with your wallet, if you dont like a store's price structure, shop somewhere else

But your original point was about paying the 'marked price', which will be the same or higher at any other store. So even if the other store will sell for less, you'll have to haggle for a discount off of their marked price as well.

• Members

They will still match/beat an *advertised* internet price, as long as you provide a printed copy of it ...or maybe if you have an ipad or something that you can access the page on the spot. Usually the advertised price has to be from an authorized dealer for that product, but not all the drones there at GC know this, so they'll usually match anything as long as it's legit looking. And yes, GC will match MF pricing, and you can usually get them to include tax in that price as well, so they are technically beating the online price.

Just gotta work it right!

• Members

This is surprising. Last year in July Sherman Oaks gave me the Ernie Ball MusicMan Classic Bass for 1700 out the door no tax. I told the manager that I could get this bass on line with free shipping and no tax. They gave me the deal. I would have bargained harder but I knew GC had an exclusive on the Shell Pink color so really they price matched on and exclusive color and I really wanted that color so I was happy with the same "street price" deal as I would have gotten online.

You were also buying a high ticket item. I'm sure they would have made some sort of deal. Even if you didn't pay tax that was at least a 200.00 savings.

I bought my bass at Sherman Oaks but I've found them to be very tough on bargaining but I did ask for the manager and got the 10% sales tax savings

Hollywood is much easier. Ask for a manager on big ticket items over 1500.00 I'm sure they will accomodate you. You might have dealt with a floor salesguy and they lose partial commission if a store manager gets in on the deal. And if you ask for the guitar Sales Manager they have to call him. If he refuses ask for the girl upfront at the entrance to page him.

If you haven't bought the guitar yet, go to Hollywood, and ask for a manager. I'd ask for 10% off and tax free. See what happens. Settle on 10% off. At least you can try the guitar and it will cost you nothing to return the item per their 30 day return policy.

• Members

They will still match/beat an *advertised* internet price...

But that's the catch. Everyone has to follow MAP, so no one is going to advertise for less than GC's price (pretty much everything at GC is MAP pricing).

Of course, there are rare exceptions where someone will have a blowout on an item that GC doesn't have marked down, but the vast majority of the time everyone prices at MAP or above.

• Members

But that's the catch. Everyone has to follow MAP, so no one is going to advertise for less than GC's price (pretty much everything at GC is MAP pricing).

Of course, there are rare exceptions where someone will have a blowout on an item that GC doesn't have marked down, but the vast majority of the time everyone prices at MAP or above.

I bet if you went to a local GC with this ad, you could get the same price, after tax:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid

• Members

Probably true, which is why I said: 'Of course, there are rare exceptions where someone will have a blowout on an item that GC doesn't have marked down, but the vast majority of the time everyone prices at MAP or above.'

Yup, but when you can find that elusive deal and have the item right away, it sure is nice!

I would have to agree that GC doesn't haggle like they used to, with the exception of used gear. I recently purchased a used Gibson Gothic SG from GC Online for $600+tax & shipping, reportedly in great shape (8-9/10). It showed up as maybe a 5-6/10 condition-wise and I was able to take it to the local GC and get the price down to $300.00 after tax & shipping. So, they are still willing to deal on some things, but only under special circumstances. (In this case, they misrepresented the condition of the guitar at the time of sale, and I did not have the chance to inspect it closely at that time, so they were willing to haggle).

Archived