Tex mex strat pickup pole pieces: can you un-stagger the staggers?

BIGD

• Members

Sometimes, with plastic-bobbin Fender PU's, you can press them down because the poles are insulated from the wire coil. So, the poles can be moved without rubbing the coil. II'll add the caveat, this may not be true for all plastic-bobbin Fender PU's and there is always SOME risk when mechanically altering PU's.

With the fiber-bobbins, it's not really possible because the coil and poles are in direct contact.

On the vintage stagger Fender's, it's usually the G string that is out of balance, because the stagger was designed with a thin-cored, wound G strings and modern players mostly use thick-cored, unwound G strings. The thicker the core, the more powerful the output, which is why Leo staggered them to begin with.

• Members

I guess maybe these things work on some amps, but on my amp, nope. Is there a way to raise or lower the pole pieces safely?

I think it is more to do with the guitars neck radius than the amp. I use Tex Mex pickups with a 9.5 radus neck and they seem fine. Didn't care for them much with my 16" radus neck.

• Members

I have HEARD that you can heat them up and press them down, but have no idea if that's going to break them or not. I do know the pieces are all equal length and they have plastic bobbins so it SHOULD work. But you might break them.

• Moderators

I guess maybe these things work on some amps, but on my amp, nope. Is there a way to raise or lower the pole pieces safely?

Tape off the windings carefully.

Mount it on the bed of a surface grinder and take fine passes til the poles are level, carefully wash off with IMS, remove tape carefully, job done.

You can always do a few passes with some strong Neodymes to up the gauss to full charge

Archived