Covered vs Uncovered Pickups

• Members

So, what's your preference? Covered or uncovered pickups? Or are you more of a 'screw that, give me a P-90 type?'

Covered:

GibsonSGRed.jpg

Uncovered:

62938_l.jpg

P-90's:

Gibson%20SG%20P90%2019684.jpg

NOTE: I used an SG as an example, this applies to every guitar.

Also note: I am aware that a bunch of you will show up and do the usual 'It doesn't matter what it looks like, it's the sound', and yes, I am aware of that, but for you, in your personal opinion, what looks better?

• Members

NOTE: I used an SG as an example, this applies to every guitar.

Also note: I am aware that a bunch of you will show up and do the usual 'It doesn't matter what it looks like, it's the sound', and yes, I am aware of that, but for you, in your personal opinion, what looks better?

don`t know if they look better but ,i had one of those new fandangled Jaguars with two humbuckers on it, when i put drive on the amp they used to squeel like pigs ,i took the metal covers off and that solved it ,anyway i swapped the modernised Jag for a better guitar ,i`ve still got the metal covers though i forgot to put em back on.oh well!.

• Members

Depends on the guitar. I've never removed or added covers to pickups, so I can't say how much tonal difference they make, but I have both covered and uncovered humbuckers (and P90s) that sound good.

• Members

mho,,,

the cover serves a purpose.. it rolls of the high freq and takes away some of the highs..

its not about the looks.. if you want to have a higher gain sound you pop the covers off an you will get those highs but it will also put a bit more edge to the sound... the cover tends to tame the pickup a bit.. and it also seems to level to Mids and highs a bit...

at least thats my findings...

• Members

Uncovered looks unfinished to me. The material used may or may not have a big impact on the sound. Cheap chrome plated brass covers will definitely eat highs while a good nickel cover won't have much impacts.

I have become a fan of the beauty ring...

utf-8BT2tsYWhvbWEgQ2l0eS0yMDExMDQxMi0wMD

EG

• Members

Uncovered looks unfinished to me. The material used may or may not have a big impact on the sound. Cheap chrome plated brass covers will definitely eat highs while a good nickel cover won't have much impacts.

I have become a fan of the beauty ring...

utf-8BT2tsYWhvbWEgQ2l0eS0yMDExMDQxMi0wMD

EG

I guess they had to come up with a fancy name- Ringpeice probably wouldn't sell so well!

• Members

I have guitars with all types and like them all. I dont see having to be in one camp or the other.

What sounds or looks best depends on the guitar. Its like having a car with hubcaps or without them to me.

If the covered pickups are microphonic they need potting. I have had some guitars with uncovered bobbins

catch the E string under the lip as well so both can have issues. P 90s are songle coil so that are in a different

camp all together to me.

• Members

At first almost all electrics were covered, and then as time went on the uncovered humbucker came about when guys tore off the covers of their old bucker, and the industry followed. Then as vintage guitars gained in value so much, manufacturers tried to bring back the covered humbucker to make them look more expensive. As far as sound, any difference can be compensated for in amp, pedal, volume and tone settings.

I prefer covered for the simple reason I don't care much for the tape showing and other little things being exposed, and it provides a catch place for all KINDS of skank...Just looks dirtier. Course, some people like dirty guitars, otherwise the "Roadworn" series would have never happened.

Archived